Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Anj4

John Lever

One Too Many
Thanks for the review John!
That's a great jacket! I'd love to get Aero to make one for me- the longer zip without the buttons is very stylish.
Someone asked about Aeros fleece. For what it's worth, my Aero B-3 fleece hasn't got dirty in the least. It's changed from a very creamy white to a little more caramel color over the years, but I think that's the cigar smoke. The fleece has curled up and become a little tighter over the years, but just a little, and I wear it a lot, and treat it quite badly. The outside finish still looks almost brand new.

Aero 's fleece is on par with RMNZ and you don't get any better.

John Lever

One Too Many
Pocket lengths
Aero 8 1/2 inches
LW 8
RMNZ 9

20150212_134238_zpssdasksjk.jpg
[/URL]

BTW all the photos were taken using my Samsung Note 4,16 mega pixel camera

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's a great review. It's one of my all time favorite designs. I just can't justify it living here in the sunburnt country....it would end up next to my unicycle and saxophone in the cupboard of expensive bad ideas....

John Lever

One Too Many
I have had another look at what I originally assumed to be wobble sewing lines to discover that I was wrong. In fact Bertie had followed a very subtle change in direction on the shoulder detail rather than pursuing a completely straight line.
My mistake so now 10 out of 10.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Awesome jacket but coming from Australia, I agree with Bunyip. Will be good for attending night football games in winter over here and a few other occasional wears. The positive is that it will still look like new in 20 years. Needs to be looked at as a long term investment.

Last edited:

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I have had another look at what I originally assumed to be wobble sewing lines to discover that I was wrong. In fact Bertie had followed a very subtle change in direction on the shoulder detail rather than pursuing a completely straight line.
My mistake so now 10 out of 10.

Aero have had some great sheepskin machinists over the years but we have to say that Bertie and Tony who are our 2 current sheepskin machinists are the best we have had , especially considering the relatively short time they have been working with sheepskin.

Last edited:

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Thank you John and Denny for posting the photos.

Denny, Who manufactured your original? Your including the rivets/grommets at the bottom are a nice touch that other reproductions do not seem to offer.

John

The original is by Arnoff Shoe Corp . It is a 1943 model .

The original label is quite illegible but read the following -

JACKET WINTER FLYING
Type AN6553 AN-J4
Contract 43-13617-AN
ARNOFF SHOE CORP INC

anj4 label.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Pocket lengths
Aero 8 1/2 inches
LW 8
RMNZ 9

20150212_134238_zpssdasksjk.jpg
[/URL]

BTW all the photos were taken using my Samsung Note 4,16 mega pixel camera

I can't understand why you aren't grinning like a fool in that photo, John. If I was wearing that jacket, I would be! It's fantastic.

avique

One of the Regulars
John,

Both the Aero and the LW ANJ-4 sound like great jackets, however, now that you've reviewed both which one do you prefer? Obviously the Aero has a significant price advantage but in terms of the sheepskin/trim, design, fit. comfort, etc. does either still stand out?

John Lever

One Too Many
The Aero is the most comfortable the LW the most solid. Coffee or tea, beer or wine , Jag or Benz ? Personal taste is a funny thing.
I think LW set out to make their jacket from the thickest goatskin the densest sheepskin the most amazing sewing possible (probably) The result is a true icon, but with a price to match and that is rarely available.
Aero have made a superbly made and comfortable reproduction copied very recently from a WW2 jacket using materials that are in guaranteed supply so it is great value for money.
If I were going to Austria for a few days at Xmas I would take the Aero, if there were bears on the loose it would be the LW.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Excellent John ( and Aero) .... looks like a great pattern in the fit pic. ( I think the 42 looks OK John)

This isn't meant to be provocative in any way ... but is the price point the same as the old ones at £750 ( just being conscious of the 4 different price points for RAF Jackets by Aero ( £675-750) and wondering if there will be different price points for different ANJ-4 models) ???

archbury918

One of the Regulars
John, a beautiful jacket for sure! I hope Aero is staying with this pattern. I didn't see it included in the product line yet. My only hang up on it would be the side adjustments. I would trim them back to the buckle or even have them reverse the direction. The modification may not be 'contract correct', but would bug me to no end until done.
Collar size is exactly my preference and the pocket size is perfect. I'm fully in support of your 'cheekiness' to pursue this great looking jacket. :)

avique

One of the Regulars
Thanks John. I know it's a matter of personal preference but I thought I'd ask you opinion. Here in the states the price difference is only a few hundred dollars so the Aero is only about 30% less. While not insignificant it's not really a game changing amount once you decided to pull the trigger on a jacket in this price range.

I received my LW last week and it's a wonderful jacket (although a bit squeaky). With the exception of a few wobbly seams at the top of the cuffs the construction/material are flawless. Now I just with it was cold enough to wear it. Unlike the east coast here in the Northwest we're have one of the warmest winters in decades. It mid February and 60 degrees F outside. Anyway I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy