Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Anj4

esm87

New in Town
Cheers rocketeer, I do really like the look of the jacket from AL. When it's tine to purchase I would happily drive to scotland and stay in a nice hotel and make a nice evening of it. Me and my girlfriend stay away for the night often for a meal and drink in a different part of the UK most months. I will see what aero say. I wouldn't just order at a guess for that money though, I would need to make sure im happy with every aspect of the jacket.

Cheers

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Of course, the AL/SB pattern with the tubular arms is Aero's old one, stolen by Will from the company, but y'know that's just an aside.
The point is, the moment you add a set of pockets to a repro 'Irvin', it stops being that. Any company worth its salt needs to keep a control of its brand identity and that means only releasing items that it's happy to have its label on.
You may be willing to pay a premium to have a couple of pockets on an Irvin, but what does that do to Aero's efforts/reputation for producing some of the most historically accurate flight jackets on the market? Of course, I could be wrong and that they'll happily do it for you, but I'd be very surprised...

Last edited:

esm87

New in Town
Hi sloan, no they cannot add the pockets and it's fair enough, I get their stance and ideology as I do yours.

Im nit a hobbyist or specifically after an 'Irvin' per se, just a cool looking jacket and I happened to stumble on to that RAF with idea of adding a pocket. Very few people of my era would understand the importance though.

I could always check with sonewhere to see if they would be willing to add me the pockets anyways I suppose before buying the jacket etc.

I think the RAF in redskin would look real nice too...

I've seen a few on ebay from unknown makers with nice looking flight jackets but have no idea what sort of quality I would get for the £400 odd they charge. I'd rather play it safe and pay more once and get guaranteed quality myself.

As for the SB distate I've read on various threads now here, I have no idea on what's gone on to form an opinion myself. Also, I suppose the fashion industry is probably hard to differentiate yourself in when your creating from an original design, i don't know....

Thanks for your input though aswell the other guys that have given me tips and pointers and suggestions, it's all appreciated.

Scott

Plumbline

One Too Many
I never found the old Aero ANJ-4 to have the same "tubular arms" feature of the old Aero Irvin ... nor have I found the SB ANJ to be tubular either. In fact the SB ANJ is a very different beast to both the Old Aero and the New Aero to wear (yes I've had all 3 ). The 42" SB vs the 42" Old Aero is slightly longer in the sleeve ( I needed to turn the SB up like the Eastman) and slightly wider in the sleeve and body but fractionally shorter and slightly more boxy with a nice sort of clumpy fleece. The 42" New Aero vs the 42" Old Aero has a myriad of new features and details but doesn't "feel" much different in fit TBH, main measurements ( chest, sleeve, arm etc.) are all within 0.5" or thereabouts though features like the paneling and cuff and collar (which is it's weakest area TBH compared to the Lost Worlds) are different. Though fit could be down to different fleece.

None of these ANJ's are "bad" they're all GREAT jackets. While the puritans on here and VLJ can spot the differences .. most people I show them to think I have multiple copies of the same jacket :) ). Aero's sheepskin is MUCH better than the old teddy bear stuff and has quite dense fleece but it doesn't have or develop any of the curly clumpiness ( I have no idea how else to describe it) of the fleece of the Eastman or the Lost Worlds ..... it's almost like it's been artificially/electrostatically straightened like Mouton. The Aero Irvin fleece is awesome and has that sort of curly clumpiness, I just wish they could get the same feel and finish in the ANJ fleece, especially for the collar.

The SB and Eastman don't have the reproductive accuracy of the Lost Worlds and the Aero IMHO if that's your thing (though the original jacket the Aero is based on is quite unusual - I haven't seen ANY other Arnoff Shoe Co originals other than the original Aero used - and isn't an "Aero Beacon NY" which I always thought would be Aero's preference TBH ... it would be very fitting if their model was based on the original "Aero" :) )

It's times like these I wish the old Fenland sheepskin tanner was still in production .. now those guys could tan sheepskin.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't know the "British Sheepskin Co." but if you are set on an Irvin don't discount these guys:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1607-UK-RAF-Sheepskin-Flying-Jacket-Improved-run/

they are GREAT Irvin jackets - yes they miss a few of the better retro features ( DOT stamped or Lightening zips) but in terms of wearability, look and feel and more importantly the sheepskin itself it's very close to some mint originals I've looked at. The sheepskin on these has just the right finish. It's GREAT value and a decent leather tailor (Dobbs Leathers or SB or Scott Leathers or even Aviation Leathercraft) would stick come pockets in it for £50-£60

esm87

New in Town
Great help plumbline. Maybe I could pick up an aero pre war RAF and have one of the mentioned leather tailors to put 2 zip pockets on there.

The current B3 aviation leathercraft are currently selling looks amazing to my eyes from a fashion sense, 2 side weld pockets are an option or keep the map patch.

Can't wait to go to one of these stores to get a see and feel for the jacket. SB emailed me back saying they would offer to alter a B3 for a more fitted tapered look at the waist on their B3 for a small premium so that is also an option.

The SB ANJ-4 I just love the design and colour tone, one seriously cool looking jacket from a total amateurs eyes.

This community is real interesting

pak

One of the Regulars
This may have been mentioned, US Authentic makes an ANJ-4. I do not have one and have never seen one of theirs.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
ESM, think long and hard before ordering an Aviation Lesthercraft jacket. I had one of their full weight Irvins and while the jacket is constructed beautifully with super heavy sheepskin, I found it unwearable due to how heavy it was and above all the tubular arms. It was just too hard work and became a wardrobe ornament except for the times I tried to give it one more chance. I'm also not sure how well it ages in so far if it ages at all?

Regards

Garry

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The thing about the originals, and accurate repros, is that they have bell-shaped sleeves, so your arms and pits are not bound tight with sheepskin - anj-4s have a more orthodox sleeve shape but avoid the problem by shaving down the sheepskin at the arm pit and replacing it with red rayon. The key to a really good looking Irvin fit is to size up so it's - they tend to 'work' better as well, trapping the air and warming up the jacket's interior.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Scott,
When you talk about adding the zipped pockets as on a D1, one thing to consider is that zipped pockets and watches don't work together very well.

D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Zips can also scrape at the hands, which in cold weather can leave them raw and painful. I'm not sure why everyone gets so hung up on adding zips to handwarmer pockets. Unless you are a biker or intend spending considerable amount of time on roller coasters, and given that most shearling pockets are pretty deep, how likely are you to need to zips to keep your stuff in?

esm87

New in Town
Just a quick update.

SB have got back to me on the mods im looking for. They can do me a RAF jacket in redskin and even create the coat out of a single skin to give me the pre war look, avoiding the seams across the jacket. I don't mind the seams they look nice just slightly prefer non seams across the front.

The D1 zipper also isn't a problem and will be in a style that matches the sleeve zipper.

I've told them I would go for the 18/22 mm thickness.

Just awaiting on Debs to get back to me on an approx price.

With the Zip pockets, I get the hangup with potentially catching on watches and the hand. The leather biker jackets I have had in the past all come with heavy duty zippers which i prefer for style, plus they have never been an issue. I don't tend to wear a watch too often funny enough. Though... a nice brown leather strapped breitling would be a good compliment..... keep dreaming scott lol.

The zip itself instead of just plain handwarmer style is just for securing my phone wallet more than anything, peace of mind if you will, i also happen to like heavy duty zip pockets.

Looking on their gallery, I love the look of their redskin, it seems to have a rich sheen to it from what I have seen.

I will still drive upto their factory or if I can't work it, I will happily pay to have a small sample of the leather and 18/22 mm sent down and get measured by a tailor to be able to give an accurate measurememt. If they would be willing to fo that, if not I'll go up there.

Thanks for the heads up garry, ye they look beastly, their B3 looks real lovely though. I can see me ending up getting a quality repro of either the ANJ-4 or B3 down the line and leaving as is once I have the RAF jacket.

I think 18 mm would allow me to use the jacket more throughout the year, happy to leave it open with a Tee to. Is 18mm fur still decently thick and full looking guys?

Sloan, you seem very knowledgeable on these flight jackets, do you have a gallery so I can see your jackets and fit etc mate?

Thanks guys, I know the jacket I want isn't an accurate repro with added zippers, but it is the jacket that will suit my needs and style preference. No doubt, if I was a hobbyist, I would get the most faithful repro I could find, pockets or not.

Cheers

esm87

New in Town
Thanks for the link sloan, the jacket looks awesome! Really like that! The other pics of you wearing it i cant see, just comes up with a speedometer picture saying update to 3rd party or something??

Them ANJ-4's really are something

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oh that's bloody photo bucket's new stupid policy - unless you cough up, it's speedometers all the way. Suffice to say, Aero's ANJ-4 is one of the best on the market, along with their Irvins. You don't need pockets and it kicks spots off SB's old Aero rip-off - or steal to be accurate, because that's what it is and if you ask me it's a pretty lousy practice to be still peddling something that has been proved in court to be the result of criminal activity.
Sandy Alexander may think that ditching the Alexander Leather name was a master stroke, but nobody's around here has been taken in, and we're not gulled by the recent spate of threads that seem to end up with the OP-er telling us that they've decided to go SB because Debs is a great gal or something similarly unlikely. They are the very opposite of what this place is about, and should be treated as such.

esm87

New in Town
Hmmmm, obviously alot of history between The two companies that you feel passionate about.

Your Aero ANJ-4 really is very nice, the aero jackets are very nice looking across the board.

Is there any other jackets that you are a big fan of apart from the B3? If so, what isit about them that makes you appreciate them?

As for the whole SB vs Aero situation, i only speak as I find. The correspondance so far has been great, Im able to get the exact design and features I want and I appreciate that. I also like their design and colours. It seems a shame there is bad blood amongst the companies, creating this kind of distate in the hobbyist community.

As a total outsider who is completely unaware, i just want a nice jacket with a certain look. Right now SB happen to be very accomodating to my wants and needs, I appreciate them doing it.

I can't imagine our uk weather lasting much longer before you need to be wearing it on the regular bud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic