Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Barnstormer

SkyCapt.

New in Town
Hello Gents, It has been a long road I have traveled in pursuit of the perfect coat. After several years of ogling Aero and Lost Worlds websites, I pulled the "trigger" on an Aero Barnstormer.I have battled the rational of a wife that does not see the value in a custom coat but does not bat an eye at my $2700.00 custom boots, and I have wrestled with the infamous "VAT" issue( which by the way most of my friends now refer to me as "Vatman". I'm a 48L which requires more hide). So, Here is the good, Aero's customer service, top notch Amanda was the best.
Here are the Specs:
Aero Barnstormer
1. size 48 with 2'' add to sleeves and body
2. Smith tartan body/ black sateen sleeves
3. corduroy facing(did not receive not needed)
4. Oil pull horsehide5. interior zip pocket left side
6.Scolloped front pockets and back Yoke
7.Removable mouton collar.
8. Olive stitching(did not receive)
acb0dbd0.jpg
6f1e6c57.jpg
273ea2ce.jpg

Regards,
SkyCapt.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello SkyCapt..........Very cool Barnstormer. Removeable mouton collar..........I think the Butte has that as well, ingenious idea.
Real shame about the lack of stitching issue and lack of the requested corduroy.
Hang in there my friend, a year from now this headache you have about the coat will be a distant memory.

Regards,
coffee

Denny Calder

New in Town
Can't comment on the lack of corduroy or olive stiching , but all Aero Barnstormers have an open bottom hem between the lining and outer . It ensures that the coat hangs properly and doesn't pull on the outer or lining when sat on .
I know if you contact Amanda or Holly at Aero they will be able to come up with a soloution for you .

Can't comment on the lack of corduroy or olive stiching , but all Aero Barnstormers have an open bottom hem between the lining and outer . It ensures that the coat hangs properly and doesn't pull on the outer or lining when sat on . I know if you contact Amanda or Holly at Aero they will be able to come up with a soloution for you .
Ah! Interesting. Never owned one, so that's good to know. It does look a little odd though; but that's better than it ripping or being uncomfortable.

wdw

One Too Many
As the Barnstormer length is not dissimilar to the Cheyenne or Stockman, it would be interesting to know if they also have open hems. I'm awaiting delivery of a Stockman which I think is normally longer than the Barnstormer and asked for a cord hem on that and no-one said it wasn't normally done.

I have an open hem on a cotton Belstaff which works fine, but it doesn't have an inner pocket. I'd be concerned that your added inner pocket, being in the lining itself, would maybe drag the lining below the shell when it has any weight in it if there's no lining strip at the hem.

Last edited:

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
WDW,
I have a modified Stockman, my lining is sewn in! When I ordered I asked about a leather inner hem and was told it was not needed as the longer jackets do not rub against the body at the bottom if I insisted they would have done it but for an extra £90 also any repairs to the lining would cost extra because it is more difficult to do! I followed Wills advice and have had no problems, I love my Stockman!

D

Dav

One Too Many
As the Barnstormer length is not dissimilar to the Cheyenne or Stockman, it would be interesting to know if they also have open hems. QUOTE]

The Cheyenne that I own isn't open at the bottom, but it has got sateen over alpaca so not sure if that makes a difference to how it was finished,
Beautiful coat you've got there BTW, SkyCapt!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have to say, though, I'm now considering seriously adding a furry collar to my order. That looks fantastic!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Barnstormers have always been made like this, back in the 1920s and now. We've never linked the lining at the hem on a Barnstormer. The reason the Barnstormer (our longest coat) has a loose lining is because of the length combined with the double breast, if all this extra lining was fixed in place at the hem it would cause problems.

If the lining was linked to the hem it would pull when the coat was worn sitting, this would soon crease the leather at the hem at the back, these would gradually form untidy folds/creases. This won't happen with a "free fitting" lining.

As regards the thread and cord facing. The cord facing is un-necessary with loose lining, but this should have been explained to you when you ordered it. I'm giving you no excuses though, this is clearly our error and we're very sorry. We can do this if you really want it, and obviously no excuse re colour stitching although we can't do anything about that now on this particular jacket. Once I've spoken with Will I'll have more info, and obviously Amanda will respond to your mail when she gets to work tomorrow.

If you need any further help, please let me know. So sorry for our error.

Holly

Last edited:

Lear

One of the Regulars
That's certainly a nice looking Barnstormer.

So:

1.) The non-stitched lining is not an issue
2.) The cord strip is not an issue either, as it isn't necessary on the longer coats. It only adds to the bulk /weight.
3.) That just leaves the colour stitching. A simple mistake on an otherwise excellent coat, and one where the actual maker is communicating with you in real time within hours of your going public. I'm hard pressed to think of a company with better customer service.

We've all been there though. In the spur of the moment a minor mistake gets magnified out of all proportion. Give it some thought, then you might want to re-edit your original post and maybe the title as well. That would be the polite thing to do.

Hope I haven't sounded harsh. Enjoy your coat :eusa_clap. Please DO post some more pics, especially of how the collar is attached.

Lear

Maybe the Barnstormer info page should state the hem is detached. That might save some grief in the long-run. Enjoy the jacket. And to those contemplating the detachable fur collar - DO IT. Yeah, it's extra, but it's the best option on a winter jacket.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Maybe the Barnstormer info page should state the hem is detached. That might save some grief in the long-run. Enjoy the jacket. And to those contemplating the detachable fur collar - DO IT. Yeah, it's extra, but it's the best option on a winter jacket.

That's a good idea, I'll edit it up.

SkyCapt.

New in Town
That's certainly a nice looking Barnstormer.

So:

1.) The non-stitched lining is not an issue
2.) The cord strip is not an issue either, as it isn't necessary on the longer coats. It only adds to the bulk /weight.
3.) That just leaves the colour stitching. A simple mistake on an otherwise excellent coat, and one where the actual maker is communicating with you in real time within hours of your going public. I'm hard pressed to think of a company with better customer service.

We've all been there though. In the spur of the moment a minor mistake gets magnified out of all proportion. Give it some thought, then you might want to re-edit your original post and maybe the title as well. That would be the polite thing to do.

Hope I haven't sounded harsh. Enjoy your coat :eusa_clap. Please DO post some more pics, especially of how the collar is attached.

Lear

Lear, my post it was not to defame Aero because dealing with them has been a pleasure. I had just requested corduroy facing and did not receive it, the bottom open lining became an issue when I presume they forgot to add the facing and sent it out incomplete. Now that Holly has explained why the lining is not attached I am more than fine and that just leaves the olive thread (really really want it !!!).
Also you do not sound harsh in my opinion but I was raised in New York. More pics will be taken then added later today or tomorrow( Depends on how a pregnant wife feels about a camera in her hands). I have the utmost respect for all of you guys
statements and Holly for the quick response .

SkyCapt.

Last edited:

Lear

One of the Regulars
Lear, my post it was not to defame Aero because dealing with them has been a pleasure. I had just requested corduroy facing and did not receive it, the bottom open lining became an issue when I presume they forgot to add the facing and sent it out incomplete. Now that Holly has explained why the lining is not attached I am more than fine and that just leaves the olive thread (really really want it !!!).
Also you do not sound harsh in my opinion but I was raise in New York. More pics will be taken then added later today or tomorrow( Depends on how a pregnant wife feels about a camera in her hands). I have the utmost respect for all of you guy statements and Holly for the quick response .

SkyCapt.

I'm sure it'll all work out perfectly in the end.

Pics of the final version being worn please.

Lear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner