Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Barnstormer

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I must say... I do like they way you folks do business over there... In most of our lives customer service is a myth kinda like well... "full service" gas stations.

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Do it!
After the pics I'll post you will see why.

Please do. I'm swithering between the dark brown and the rust to go with my brown FQHH LHB - any opinions people? I wasn't considering it at the time of getting measured - stupidly didn't realise that the collars could be detachable - but my interest was piqued initially by the fact that somebody from Japan had sent their LHB back to have one attached, and then when I saw that great looking collar on SkyCapt's barnstormer and realised that it was a sensible addition, giving me the option of a little more insulation and wind-proofing.

I'm partial to the buff, Irvin colored sheerling I got for my brown oil pull Aero. 2nd would be rust for me...
IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg

Last edited:
No, not rust. That was one hour old. I've been spraying and letting dry to curl it up a bit. A little lighter in person. Having the option is great.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No, not rust. That was one hour old. I've been spraying and letting dry to curl it up a bit. A little lighter in person. Having the option is great.

Heh, sorry, I meant was that the collar the rust-coloured version? I'm having trouble a fix on the 'rust' collar's actual colour because camera flashes tend to change the tone of it. I'm definitely going to amend my order in the next couple of days to include it, maybe see if it's possible to have a buckle attached across the neck to help keep the wind out.

Last edited:
Heh, sorry, I meant was that the collar the rust-coloured version? I'm having trouble a fix on the 'rust' collar's actual colour because camera flashes tend to change the tone of it. I'm definitely going to amend my order in the next couple of days to include it, maybe see if it's possible to have a buckle attached across the neck to help keep the wind out.
I know, that's what my answer referred to :)The sheerling is not rust. It's like the pics, but a tad lighter in shade. I'll have to take some new pics. Rust is hard to get in pics. I like it, but I like this more. This was my first choice, then rust. It's also a little more natural looking. Not as fine as the one pictured here on the barnstormer. That may or may not be to your liking...

Lear

One of the Regulars
Hey Skycapt, your collar is obviously a different colour to Butte's, but it also appears to be finer in texture. What is it?

I can just imagine cloudylemonade crying herself to sleep, knowing that tomorrow will bring a flood of weird requests for yak fur collars etc. Actually, does anyone have any ideas for owner supplied collar trimmings. I guess that sheepskin isn't called fur for a reason. But, what about fur as we commonly know it? The kind of stuff you find on Arctic parka hoods. Would it look too ridiculously feminine?

Lovely looking coat Skycapt. Thanks for posting pics.

Lear

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I know, that's what my answer referred to :)The sheerling is not rust. It's like the pics, but a tad lighter in shade. I'll have to take some new pics. Rust is hard to get in pics. I like it, but I like this more. This was my first choice, then rust. It's also a little more natural looking. Not as fine as the one pictured here on the barnstormer. That may or may not be to your liking...

Ah, my mistake ;-D. I'm kinda tending towards the barnstormer's dark collar - mainly for practical reasons, I think it'll stay cleaner-looking longer. I wonder if the discussions that take place on these chat boards do affect the type of requests Aero see coming in to them... *considers broaching subject of shawl collared barnstormers, just for the hell of it*

SkyCapt.

New in Town
Hey Skycapt, your collar is obviously a different colour to Butte's, but it also appears to be finer in texture. What is it?

I can just imagine cloudylemonade crying herself to sleep, knowing that tomorrow will bring a flood of weird requests for yak fur collars etc. Actually, does anyone have any ideas for owner supplied collar trimmings. I guess that sheepskin isn't called fur for a reason. But, what about fur as we commonly know it? The kind of stuff you find on Arctic parka hoods. Would it look too ridiculously feminine?

Lear

Lear, can't really say.
I just asked Amanda to add a removable mouton collar and she said " is brown OK", and said that would be fine.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
SkyCapt. your jacket is very good looking, including the removable brown mouton collar. The only jacket that I own with a mouton collar is my Cooper G-1 and can attest that the mouton collar alone is very effective, particularly when there is a cold wind.

Edward

Bartender
I have to say, though, I'm now considering seriously adding a furry collar to my order. That looks fantastic!

Maybe the Barnstormer info page should state the hem is detached. That might save some grief in the long-run. Enjoy the jacket. And to those contemplating the detachable fur collar - DO IT. Yeah, it's extra, but it's the best option on a winter jacket.

Please do. I'm swithering between the dark brown and the rust to go with my brown FQHH LHB - any opinions people? I wasn't considering it at the time of getting measured - stupidly didn't realise that the collars could be detachable - but my interest was piqued initially by the fact that somebody from Japan had sent their LHB back to have one attached, and then when I saw that great looking collar on SkyCapt's barnstormer and realised that it was a sensible addition, giving me the option of a little more insulation and wind-proofing.

The detachable collars are a great idea. I have a list of jackets I would like from Aero, and most of them (as I can afford!) will be ordered with the detachable collar. My first Aero was (and still is!) a second hand AN6552, in goat. Comparing it to my Aero A2, also in seal goat, the only significant differences (as garments, rather than in spec) are the narrower fit and the mouton collar of the AN6552. I am certain that it is slightly but noticeably warmer a jacket to wear, and these must be what make the difference. To have the with or without option is great. Hell, if you really wanted to go to town, I imagine you could order a couple of different colours and rotate them...

I'm partial to the buff, Irvin colored sheerling I got for my brown oil pull Aero. 2nd would be rust for me...
IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg

Rust is a reddish shade, looks good with either black or brown, IMO. I have it on my AN6552, but can't find a photo right now...

This is the rust, on one of the USN jackets on the Aero website:

1174cadfa7ed6f36_USN%20Type%20AN6552%20Goatslin%20hero%20d1%20copy.jpg

Lear

If you have a longer pile like that, I think it would look good.

Ah, my mistake ;-D. I'm kinda tending towards the barnstormer's dark collar - mainly for practical reasons, I think it'll stay cleaner-looking longer. I wonder if the discussions that take place on these chat boards do affect the type of requests Aero see coming in to them... *considers broaching subject of shawl collared barnstormers, just for the hell of it*

I love the look of Buttes, but yes if in doubt I would tend to the darker one as it will stay cleaner looking longer. When I have the scratch for the black jacket I want (oh... and that shearling lined Highwayman....) I will be asking for a black one. If ever I get a brown barnstormer, I'll be opting for the rust.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the rust would look great on the barnstormer, Edward, a nice contrast to the expanse of dark hide.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner