Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero black jerky horsehide

zebedee

One Too Many
I've just had a Plainsman delivered in this hide and I am really impressed. It was between this and Vicenza blackened brown; the jerky won out initially as I already have a dark seal Vicenza Mariner. So far, the jerky has been pliable almost immediately and is somewhat lighter than the Vicenza (which is exactly what I wanted. I like the FQHHs and full-weight steer hides, but I wanted something a lot more flexible). The crust / base colour seems reddish, which will make for interesting development further down the line. Jerky seems only a little heavier than goat and has a similar bounce. Pics when it's daylight.

J.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's been my experience with black jerky too. Mine was about the same thickness as Vicenza but drapes a lot better. I am on the fence about getting a 59 Highwayman in black jerky... Until their next sale...

zebedee

One Too Many
That's been my experience with black jerky too. Mine was about the same thickness as Vicenza but drapes a lot better. I am on the fence about getting a 59 Highwayman in black jerky... Until their next sale...
I prefer the black jerky to the seal jerky. Black seems to have a better hand and drape, even though there's not much in it. I'm slowly whittling down the number of jackets that I own to a manageable, transportable number, but the lighter hides keep me interested. The tan steer hide cafe racer jacket I have is a suit of armour that'll take a while to break in. I think about a cafe racer in battered tan (I gave a battered seal one to a mate who kindly gave my daughter a guitar) or black jerky, but I also need to not spend money, damnit. :)

A pair of black William Lennon chukkas in black CXL might be the last trigger-pull for a bit. I reckon they're fantastic value for money.

zebedee

One Too Many
they are! They are built like tanks.
Does the black jerky show wear easily?
Yes, it shows wear more easily than Vicenza according to members here. After a bit of torrential rain and canvas bags being carried around in it, I'll be able to give you a first-hand account of how it behaves.

William Lennon boots for the win. Once broken in, they're hard to beat.

Mich486

One Too Many
I bought a black jerky jacket as well last summer. I like it, it doesn’t look to be fast fading though, not at all.

Not that I wore it particularly hard but enough to tell. Also I think it’s about the same thickness as the CXL HH Aero uses, just not as rigid but rather spongy. I think it’s one of those leathers that is going to look interesting in a few years rather than a few months.

Mich486

One Too Many
I did post it when I got it back in September, it’s a Montgomery (highwayman with square corded pockets). I promise I’ll take some pictures as soon as I get a chance!

I did post it when I got it back in September, it’s a Montgomery (highwayman with square corded pockets). I promise I’ll take some pictures as soon as I get a chance!
I remember yours! I was talking to @zebedee as I don't think he's posted his up yet. I love jerky HH. It's a deceptively bullet proof hide. Don't have to fight it like CXL either.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I prefer the black jerky to the seal jerky. Black seems to have a better hand and drape, even though there's not much in it. I'm slowly whittling down the number of jackets that I own to a manageable, transportable number, but the lighter hides keep me interested. The tan steer hide cafe racer jacket I have is a suit of armour that'll take a while to break in. I think about a cafe racer in battered tan (I gave a battered seal one to a mate who kindly gave my daughter a guitar) or black jerky, but I also need to not spend money, damnit. :)

A pair of black William Lennon chukkas in black CXL might be the last trigger-pull for a bit. I reckon they're fantastic value for money.
Agree they are really bang for the buck William Lennon boots. Don't know how they are doing it. Very small workshop and very focused.
I missed out on the shearling lined patrol boots Aero used to offer. Wish they restock that one more time in the future.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's still shiny at the moment. No photos till I've walloped the shine off it (although there is one on the wjaywt thread). :)
I would find photos of the new jacket interesting. Does not have to be a wearing photo. Then the viewer can imagine the whole thing better.

zebedee

One Too Many
Here we are:

The last one shows the base coat - it's a light russet (which we could refer to as almost a salmon colour ). The only alteration was an angled chest pocket and contrast brown stitching.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 16.59.30.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 16.59.30.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 257
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 16.59.39.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 16.59.39.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 255
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 16.59.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 16.59.49.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 252

zebedee

One Too Many
Reviving this thread :D

How are you finding that Plainsman @zebedee ? Did you go for extra grainy Jerky?
It's still a favourite. I got the normal black jerky - you can tell that in a year or two it'll look properly vintage. The worn down edges go beige/brown, not orange, as the black topcoat gets imprinted into the russet base. If in any doubt, go with blackened brown Vicenza - there's not much in it, tbh.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
It's still a favourite. I got the normal black jerky - you can tell that in a year or two it'll look properly vintage. The worn down edges go beige/brown, not orange, as the black topcoat gets imprinted into the russet base. If in any doubt, go with blackened brown Vicenza - there's not much in it, tbh.
Ah I can imagine that will look the business. Does it form nice rolls and creases on the sleeves?

I'm thinking of a wayfarer or plainsman (or maybe Type iii lol) in black jerky, but I do need me some sleeve rolls in a jacket. I miss that from my CXL HB. I don't see any examples or jerky doing that really.

If I'm paying for the mark up I might go straight for badalassi over vic. Sorry to drag you into my obsessing haha.

Glad you're enjoying your plainsman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21