Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer Fit

zebedee

One Too Many
I'd usually take a size 40 in suit jacket/Aero jacket sizes and am pretty much an oblong shape (34 inch waist). Previous cafe racer jacket didn't work in a 40 (about an inch too short and maybe an inch too tight) so I sold it to my favourite barman after struggling with it for a couple of years. I am wondering if a board racer is a similar fit and if anyone has one with zip side pockets added- I'm particularly interested to find out if the BR is longer than the CR and if anyone has sized up.

dan_t

Practically Family
Pretty sure you can specify the length you want, so shouldn’t really be any difference there (for a custom order).
My understanding is that the cafe race pattern is wide at the top & has a somewhat dramatic ‘V’ shape taper to the waist. Whilst the Board Racer is narrower at the shoulders & more straight cut down through the body.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yes- my previous cafe racer managed to be wearable with a very thin t-shirt, but zipping it up was amusing and depressing by turns (even after fairly impressive weight loss). BR might be a good option- my best-fitting Aero is still a size 40 Highwayman, followed by a size 40 50's HB.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The BR is much smaller in the shoulders and chest than the same tagged size CR.

From my spreadsheet of jacket measurements

Cafe racer (Sheene) 38 p2p 22.5 shoulder 18.5
Cafe Racer 40 p2p 23
Shoulder 19

Board racer 40 p2p22 shoulder 17.75
Board Racer 42 p2p22.5 shoulder 18

These are all measurements from jackets I have actually owned and not just off a website.

I haven’t recorded the waist measurements because I often tweak them up or down depending on the cut but the CR tapers a lot more while the BR is more slim throughout the whole body.

zebedee

One Too Many
The BR is much smaller in the shoulders and chest than the same tagged size CR.

From my spreadsheet of jacket measurements

Cafe racer (Sheene) 38 p2p 22.5 shoulder 18.5
Cafe Racer 40 p2p 23
Shoulder 19

Board racer 40 p2p22 shoulder 17.75
Board Racer 42 p2p22.5 shoulder 18

These are all measurements from jackets I have actually owned and not just off a website.

I haven’t recorded the waist measurements because I often tweak them up or down depending on the cut but the CR tapers a lot more while the BR is more slim throughout the whole body.

I'm wondering if anyone ever gets them somewhat 'roomy'- at size 40, my old CR was tight across the shoulders even when unzipped. I'm wary of customisation at the moment, as I have realised that I am fairly unaware of exactly which alterations affect fit and to what extent.

jay_cali

One of the Regulars
@zebedee check out MTM jacket makers, only way to get better sizing. Aero can alter +0.5" to stock sizing. SB does at extra price. I ordered mine from Johnson leathers.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This would warrant a trip to Aero directly, or a fit jacket through Carrie at Thurston bros in Seattle.

Having owned Cafe Racers (4-pocket), a Sheene, three Half belts and an odd HWM or two, I would state the CR and BR are nothing like a HB or HWM. Both the CR and the Sheene were 42's (I wear a 42L - 44L suit coat, and size 36 waist jeans). Whereas the HWM was a tagged 40 and loose. The HB's range from a tag size of 40 - 44.

So as you can see, it's confusing to say the least. Find a way to try them on, then go from there... :)

zebedee

One Too Many
Yes- I really like the style, but have had little luck. I reckon I'd need a size 42 with an extra two inches length (26 inches) on the body.

dan_t

Practically Family
Feel free to email me for some help with this - if you haven't already. I'm on holly@aeroleatherclothing.com if you'd like to. But someone mentioned the Cafe Racer is very much a 'V-shaped fit', fairly generous at the shoulders/chest tapered down to the waist and hem. The Board Racer is narrow cut from the shoulders down, with a straighter shape.
So Holly, would one usually size up one size for the Board Racer pattern to achieve a similar fit to what they’d normally wear in the cafe racer?
Or does it simply not work that way?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@dan_t I've got a 42 BR if you want to try it on for sizing.

It fits quite similar in the shoulders and chest as my 38 CR...but the CR is tighter in the body even with 0.5 inch added to each side.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks, that’s a nice offer. I wasn’t thinking about buying any more jackets - I don’t even wear the ones I have enough!
But then the LW Jean Jacket found me & I was thinking last night that I wouldn’t mind an updated cafe racer / j100.....
I think I might be affected with the Jacketeer’s disease.

Rosecitymike

One of the Regulars
My experience in trying on both models with Carrie: I typically wear a 48 sport coat or 58 IT. (47 chest, 35 waist) Carrie put me in a 46 BR (vincenza, and a lighter weight). It’s tight to be sure, not uncomfortably so at all, but I was looking for a T-shirt/one layer jacket anyway and like the fit. The CR in the same size fit but felt too tight through the body and too short, for me anyway. YMMV, if interested definitely get a fit jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ