Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board racer, hand warmer pockets or not?

Kfz

Familiar Face
ordered the racer in 1/2” longer length. Wondering if adding hand warmer pockets will degrade the slim &cleanliness of the appearance? It’s based on this non warmer pockets racer. Could use the warmer pockets oncin a while in colder weathers though. Thanks

Attachments

• 03B29BA1-CD3F-4CA9-89B9-9BC37D210B4E.jpeg
    03B29BA1-CD3F-4CA9-89B9-9BC37D210B4E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
  • E2A94473-260C-4D8C-9D2D-0A8DACFF57AB.jpeg
    E2A94473-260C-4D8C-9D2D-0A8DACFF57AB.jpeg
    922.9 KB · Views: 175
  • F63651D7-4928-40B6-9627-2907A69FD036.jpeg
    F63651D7-4928-40B6-9627-2907A69FD036.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Wow, one of the best fitting boardracers I've seen. Congrats.

Personally I'm not a fan of handwarmer pockets on a cafe racer style jacket because they're not period correct.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
ordered the racer in 1/2” longer length. Wondering if adding hand warmer pockets will degrade the slim &cleanliness of the appearance? It’s based on this non warmer pockets racer. Could use the warmer pockets oncin a while in colder weathers though. Thanks
I also prefer this style without handwarmers - less is more with the BR!

IMO for this style they don't work. It's essentially a racing shirt, which doesn't have handwarmers. Makes more sense on a dress collared standard CR to me.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good fit. Congratulations.
No, no hand warmer pockets.

Edit: Is that your jacket in the pictures or a fit jacket?
If fit jacket, then I would keep it as it is.

bn1966

I wouldn’t add pockets, would put aesthetic out for me…

Kfz

Familiar Face
Good fit. Congratulations.
No, no hand warmer pockets.

Edit: Is that your jacket in the pictures or a fit jacket?
If fit jacket, then I would keep it as it is.
Thanks for your in put. It’s a fit jacket. I m custom ordering a Seal Vincenza Horshide. So not practical or hard to use those hand warmer pockets? Or just mainly for the style reasons?

MrProper

Thanks for your in put. It’s a fit jacket. I m custom ordering a Seal Vincenza Horshide. So not practical or hard to use those hand warmer pockets? Or just mainly for the style reasons?
Fit jacket, ok. But I would not make the new one longer than this one.
The handwarmer pockets don't fit the style and if you use them more often they wear out and mess up the shape of the jacket (at least I think so). In addition, these jackets are not meant for cold weather and there the pants pockets are enough.
I repeat myself... as always a matter of taste.
Where I actually have pockets on some of my Cafe Racer, but never use them.

Rich22

Practically Family
Entirely up to the buyer. I wouldn't want a pocketless jacket, but that's me. The decorative chest pockets don't count because they're impractical- I found the only way to use them was to take the jacket off first. Haha!

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Entirely up to the buyer. I wouldn't want a pocketless jacket, but that's me. The decorative chest pockets don't count because they're impractical- I found the only way to use them was to take the jacket off first. Haha!
It might be worth asking Aero to make the chest pockets deeper as they are pretty shallow - I have done this on all my custom jackets so they can take my iPhone or wallet - the standard size is too shallow to be of much use imo. They are then actually easier to use than handwarmers and more useful, so you can gain some functionality without messing up the clean lines of the BR style….

Agreeing with @rich here - the chest pockets are completely useless to me and I consider them a decorative detail.

It's not a cold weather jacket but it still is a jacket thus I would not mind adding hand-warmers, should using them be something you plan on doing. They are a very practical addition to any leather jacket.

My primary choice on this sort of style would be an inside lining-patch pocket. Schott style.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
It might be worth asking Aero to make the chest pockets deeper as they are pretty shallow - I have done this on all my custom jackets so they can take my iPhone or wallet - the standard size is too shallow to be of much use imo. They are then actually easier to use than handwarmers and more useful, so you can gain some functionality without messing up the clean lines of the BR style….
I think if you want to make it deeper it is also need to be lower, it is very hard to reach into the pocket bag with higher chest pocket, I like a lower set slant chest pockets greycow2018-may-15.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
No hand warmers for me. My bigger problem with period CRs is general lack of internal chest pockets. These are true racing shirts, which makes them less convenient for casual wear in terms of wallet storage. Became less of a problem since I switched to this compact thingie which fits easily in the external "decorative" breast pocket without messing up the look too much.

61YpYWgHjML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

MrProper

No hand warmers for me. My bigger problem with period CRs is general lack of internal chest pockets. These are true racing shirts, which makes them less convenient for casual wear in terms of wallet storage. Became less of a problem since I switched to this compact thingie which fits easily in the external "decorative" breast pocket without messing up the look too much.

View attachment 418110
Yes, these things are the best.
I have been using these for many years: https://www.mcpocket.com/en/mcpocket-air.html
Had the previous one as well. Indestructible these things. Actually bad for business, because if you have one, you never need a replacement.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 418110
looks like it can stop sniper rifle bullet to the heart, I still live in cash/ bill + coins dependent economy here in my country, I wish I can go around making payments through digital wallet via mobilephone only. still not possible for most things I need like fried banana & cassava from food hawkers :) need to carry small changes too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ