Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board racer, hand warmer pockets or not?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I’d recommend adding a vertical opening inside pocket 9or two) to the jacket for carrying a wallet or other small items. It’ll look clean with no exterior handwarmer pockets, but the interior pocket can be handy, especially if you ride a motorcycle. I find the chest pockets to be nearly vestigial - too small to hold much, and difficult to put things in them or get them back out.

zebedee

One Too Many
I like the pockets on the Cafe Racer I have and use them all the time. So far (in three years of use - might be too early to tell) they haven't puffed out or spoiled the line. On the other hand, period-accuracy is something that I don't take into consideration. I rarely use front jeans pockets, though.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find it really interesting how different the use cases and needs are.
Isn't it great that we can go wild with customized jackets and configure them exactly according to these wishes?
I like chest pockets for masks, glasses, parking tickets, handkerchief. Hand warmers, on the other hand, I use rather rarely. Sometimes I put my cap in, but hardly ever my hands, because I don't want the pockets to bulge. My Corsair has no chest pockets, I use the inside pocket, but even here not the hand warmers.
But in fact I do not need pockets on jackets, because I put everything in my pants anyway.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I would agree to leave off the handwarmer pockets, but I have to have an interior pocket. Keys, phone, etc. I've actually decided against buying some very cool jackets here due to the lack of an interior pocket.

Rich22

Practically Family
Agreeing with @rich here - the chest pockets are completely useless to me and I consider them a decorative detail.

It's not a cold weather jacket but it still is a jacket thus I would not mind adding hand-warmers, should using them be something you plan on doing. They are a very practical addition to any leather jacket.

My primary choice on this sort of style would be an inside lining-patch pocket. Schott style.
That would also be my primary choice- there's no bulk to it so it doesn't spoil the line of the jacket one bit, and it at least gives you a usable pocket. If you're used to using jacket pockets all your life it's hard to give that up. My suit jackets for work would infuriate me if they had no internal pocket and false external pockets, for example, because otherwise you end up stuffing everything in your trousers or having to carry a bag.

Rich22

Practically Family
It might be worth asking Aero to make the chest pockets deeper as they are pretty shallow - I have done this on all my custom jackets so they can take my iPhone or wallet - the standard size is too shallow to be of much use imo. They are then actually easier to use than handwarmers and more useful, so you can gain some functionality without messing up the clean lines of the BR style….
I have quite large biceps/triceps but like slim fitting fitting racer style jackets- mobility is otherwise fine, but the specific angle required to get my hands in the chest pockets is problematic. :confused: I can undo them fine, but I couldn't get my hand in for love nor money. So it wouldn't matter how deep they were-as others stated, they would have to be lower on the chest.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all for your inputs. I won’t add the warmer pockets. Great forum members!

Good decision. Aero can add one or two inside pockets for functionaitiy (open or closed with zipper or studs). I´ve always found that useful.

That would also be my primary choice- there's no bulk to it so it doesn't spoil the line of the jacket one bit, and it at least gives you a usable pocket. If you're used to using jacket pockets all your life it's hard to give that up. My suit jackets for work would infuriate me if they had no internal pocket and false external pockets, for example, because otherwise you end up stuffing everything in your trousers or having to carry a bag.

Ask Aero if they can do this for you. It really shouldn't be hard and it's a massive improvement to any jacket.

20220411-112425-0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch