Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger in Black Tumbled FQHH

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
So I finally broke down and bought my first Aero. I wavered for a long time between various options - used, custom - but finally settled on a tumbled FQHH stock jacket from Aero directly. Holly gave me a great deal and the measurements looked spot-on, so I figured what the hell - risk it for a biscuit.

Obviously with any new jacket (even a custom one, much less stock) fit is the lead concern out of the box. I'd love feedback from you on that (hit me with both barrels, I can take it - and I'm a terrible judge of how jackets fit me visually) - what I can say is that the jacket feels totally comfortable size-wise, and that's not usual for me. If I'm worried about anything it's the width up top - I think the length is dialed-in. It's a 38 and I normally take a 40, so if this is how the Bootlegger fits (and that's what I read) it definitely runs a size large.

Style-wise, I love it - the Bootlegger to me is Aero's most snappy design, a perfect blend of biker and flyer, casual and elegant. My other worry was that with FQHH it was going to be really heavy, but the tumbled is buttery soft and supple, and comfortable to wear. Also definitely a little lighter than the normal FQHH or CXL steer that I've handled.

I would have loved better lighting to show off the grain but we aren't going to see the sun for a week, so this is the best I can do. As you can see it does look slightly "broken-in" and has a beautiful, fine grain that reminds me a bit of the Vicenza I've seen. Black is black, can't go wrong there - my absolute desert island jacket would probably be the Dark Seal Vicenza, but this combo works for me. As usual, it's all going to come down to the fit...

1yFDC4U.jpg
PwIPh3M.jpg
h1rjz0B.jpg
Z44v7IF.jpg
VptakSM.jpg
Xoo4JxD.jpg
FnSclW8.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome jacket! The Bootlegger is just as you described. It's edgy and cool without trying to hard and very easy to wear on any occasion. Fit looks great. Enjoy it!!

A-1

One Too Many
I think it looks good. It would be a little too loose for my personal taste. But as long as you feel comfy in it and you keep wearing it, it will settle on your body and mould to it, will get creases and all. The leather also looks great!

It's perfect. This is not one of the spray painted styles to begin with and I can see the straps are not nearly taken in. I mean, you could pull off a 36 but it wouldn't be an improvement because this 38 looks really great on you! It'd just be smaller. This is a leather jacket, not a racing leather shirt. You need some room for layering despite what the internet tells us. I really dig the way it looks zipped up. Keep it!

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Looks good. Is that a premier Bootlegger or a standard model (I had thought the std came with epaulets)?

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Looks good. Is that a premier Bootlegger or a standard model (I had thought the std came with epaulets)?

AFAIK it's the standard model. That's certainly how it was listed on the Aero site.

It's perfect. This is not one of the spray painted styles to begin with and I can see the straps are not nearly taken in. I mean, you could pull off a 36 but it wouldn't be an improvement because this 38 looks really great on you! It'd just be smaller. This is a leather jacket, not a racing leather shirt. You need some room for layering despite what the internet tells us. I really dig the way it looks zipped up. Keep it!

I'm inclined to agree - if I had to pick slightly too large or slightly too small, I'd take the former. And experimenting with the straps I think I can improve the way it "molds", and wear will help with that too. If I could make one custom I'd probably take a half-inch off the shoulders and sleeves - but that would have been about twice what I paid for it. Perfection doesn't come cheap and even then it's not guaranteed.

It's beautiful and you can rightfully claim the "red fence" as your official FL background. Sizing down would leave you scratching your head and a folly. Keep her.

I am Red Fence Man.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
So here's a question for you gents... Will the tumbled process have any impact on a jacket's resistance to rain? I would assume not - CXL HH is still CXL HH - but you never know.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Front looks fine, back's a bit loose for my taste. The sleeves will ride u with a bit of wear. If you're going to hold on to it, I'd just wear it to death and make it yours.

I'll be contrary here and say I think it's too large. Also, what is with that third pic? It looks like the leather is cracked? I can't tell what I'm looking at, but if your intent is to not layer most of the time, I think it's large on you.
Nice jacket, but I'm just being honest. I know that if I have any doubts, they will come after the honeymoon and I will end up flipping it...

Chris7273

One of the Regulars
Looks good if you like a comfortable jacket with the ability to wear a jumper over your shirt
The sleeves will go up a bit with the creases that will soon develop
I prefer longer sleeves (driving a very windy old English roadster.. )
I always wear my bootlegger with the collar "up" : "bad boy"
Enjoy it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ