Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger order advice

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Hi, I'm new to the board and just started an order for a Aero Bootlegger from Thurston Bros. I'm looking for some advice and recommendations. I plan on using this as an all purpose fall and spring coat, I live in the midwest so between 30-60 degrees. I've had Highwayman with both drill and the common riding tartan and for chillier weather love the tartan.

Here are my thoughts

Dark as possible cordovan FQHH horsehide
Strome Aberdeen tartan
Green cotton drill in sleeves
2 inside snap pocket
Zip sleeves
Riri Zipper (are these still available from Aero?)
No epaulets

Any advice would be great.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The cordovan is really nice, and the tumbled isn't seriously heavy, but maybe a lighter leather would be better if you're going spring/fall? Somebody recently posted a premier fit bootlegger in goat which looked great.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
I've noticed a lot of Aero's with chest pockets develop a strange sag in the leather from the collar down the side of the chest pocket. Is there any way to prevent this?

Edward

Bartender
Never had that issue with mine, so can't help you there. My Bootlegger is mostly the same spec as yours but I have button cuffs. Great jacket. Good idea to go drill in the sleeves; back in 2010 mine came with moleskin, and it does limit wearing it into late Spring/ Early Summer.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice spec ... the bootlegger without the eppaulettes is effectively the Alexanders Detroit ( I have 2 ... one in Horween Bison ( which is stunning) and one in Burgundy "Warhawk" FQHH ... both not lightweight jackets).

Alexanders - Detroit

I have had an Aero bootlegger in FQHH ( Black) and medium weight stewart tartan lining and it was also similarly weighted and stunning jacket ( mine was a 44"and I think a 42" would have been a better fit). It is however the jacket that inspired me to order the Alexanders on the basis of price and delivery ( quality was on a par with Aero).

Detroit Bison 13.jpg

Equally I'm not sure if Aero are still doing the level of modification you want ... the pockets would be OK, not sure about the rest.

Similarly look at the Bill Kelso "The Duke" ... a superb jacket.

Bill Kelso - The Duke

Great jacket on or off a motorcycle and one of my go-to choices ... you will certainly not be dissapointed with the Bootlegger. Strome weight Tartan is hefty but really practical and not at all blanket like ... cotton drill lining is perfect and two inside pockets matches my prefereed choice :)

If not wearing it on a bike you might want to consider lighter hides .... the FQHH can be a bit unweildy. If I had to choose my Bootlegger again I'd go MWHH or a lighter CXL steer or even some of Aero's veg tanned hides ... they would be GREAT in this style. The goat looks good but having seen a similar jacket in goat in the flesh it's a bit light for my taste and feels more like a dress jacket than a utility jacket ... just MHO. Equally goat just doesn't wear or develop the patina that steer or indeed FQHH does.

Happy speccing with the Aero ... I love this style, it's so versatile :p)

HTH

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, FQHH and strome tartan is a serious winter jacket :. But You don't mention where you live, so I'll leave that to your judgement. The alterations don't sound that big a deal to me[huh] (not sure about the Riri zips), but I would contact Holly or Denny when they get back on Monday and ask them.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Your probably right I should stick with the 10oz wool tartan, I live in Chicago and plan on using the jacket on and off the motorcycle.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, FQHH it is then for a bike jacket - you might find the tumbled version an easier wear-in. If by STF, you mean the premier fit, it has a higher arm hole and neater fit overall than the standard Bootlegger.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Your probably right I should stick with the 10oz wool tartan, I live in Chicago and plan on using the jacket on and off the motorcycle.

Chi-town ..... I know it well ( roughly spend 6-9 weeks there every year ) .. I'd go Medium weight because you aren't gonna be riding the bike Nov-March ( or wearing a leather bike jacket) and medium weight will be perfect in spring / autumn .... Vintage/tumbled FQHH or Bison or Vintage/tumbled CXL Steer would be my picks. Otherwise the spec you picked is pretty much spot on :)

Here's my zip sleeve Aero Bootlegger. Regular FQHH though. Alpaca lining with 2 inside pockets. Size 40 with added body & sleeve length. I live in Mid Indiana and wear this jacket from usually late October until Jan...then probably March through May. However your option list looks a great choice for a Bootlegger as well. I think you'll like it.
HD

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy, how do you like the alpaca lining I've read some people find it itchy, does it add any bulk to the jacket?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've noticed a lot of Aero's with chest pockets develop a strange sag in the leather from the collar down the side of the chest pocket. Is there any way to prevent this?

On my LHB I have that line running down the front, largely because I often put my hands in my jacket pockets, but with the Bootlegger being a shorter jacket you probably wouldn't be so tempted to do so. I think it's more of a drape than a sag, anyway. Looking at Proteinnerd's, I think it would averesly affect the design if you removed the pocket.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
HoosierDaddy, how do you like the alpaca lining I've read some people find it itchy, does it add any bulk to the jacket?

I had an alpaca lining in my Long Half Belt. I had it replaced with a wool herringbone liner. I felt it was slightly more bulky than my new liner, but I just thought the alpaca was too prickly. I didn't find it itchy, but the alpaca seemed to jab it's way through my shirts, esp. in the shoulders and upper back. Many people like it - but it didn't work for me.

I like it Alex. So much so that I have it in three of my Aero civi jackets (now down to five)....but the alcapa wool isn't ichy to me (although to some it is) or prickly. Mine is soft. I also don't find it a heavy or an exceptionally warm lining. 'For me'..it works well especially for Indiana autumn and early spring. There are heavier linings such as some of the tweeds,etc. The coldest lining to me is Aero's drill although durable.
HD

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I just got a mid-weight HH Bootlegger from the sale page... size 50. I like it a great deal, particularly the moleskin pockets which will be an addition to any other jackets I get custom made. If I were to get another similar styled jacket it would probably be the AL in bison.

Worf

thor

Call Me a Cab
Keep in mind that Aero's burgundy alcapa (like in my Stewart) is heavier than the regular brown alcapa. Soft and fluffy but warmer....

Now THAT is an awesome combination HD! Absolutely LOVE the contrast of the burgundy alpaca and the dark leather. Well done sir!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^ Any man that can quote Lovecraft's alright in mah book.

As to Bootleggers in general. I love them in that they "remind" you of the One Stars and such but are very clean cut and subdued. They don't scream "look at me I'm so cool" like a Brando styled jacket does. Instead it's more like "if you're brave enough... fly with me!"

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR