Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger - which leather?

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
I've had antiqued brass before, but I now prefer shiny brass and letting it go naturally on everything. Also chrome on black. Never chrome on brown, unless milspec.

Does antique brass cost more? If so, shiny may be best cuz it will go antique soon enough with wear.

Black and brass could look real good, though, too.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Does antique brass cost more? If so, shiny may be best cuz it will go antique soon enough with wear.

Black and brass could look real good, though, too.

"soon enough" might be optimistic. My dad has been carrying a brass zippo daily for 30 years and the thing is still pretty shiny.
The idea that a brass zipper will look antique in a couple years wear is just not realistic.

I have an antique brass Riri zipper and a standard brass Talon on two different jackets, and i doubt the Talon will look anything like the Riri in my lifetime!

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
antiqued silver is also super cool, but somehow hard to get.
Riri has that color in many zipper tape colors.
its price made me :eek:

All the combos are cool. There is no wrong answer here, but I'd go with what you want now. I agree that the shiny brass will take awhile to dull down- be happy with your jacket day 1 :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Did a bit of digging and found my old zippos... Both are 10 years old.

On the right is my brass zippo, carried and used daily for 7 years . Solid brass, no coating.
On the left is a second solid brass zippo, received as a gift, never used.

This is a lighter, handled much more than a zipper would ever be, it has much more surface area that touches your skin and as you can see it is still pretty shiny.
Yes it has some weird purple hues in some angles and is slightly tarnished and scratched, but i can't get it to show in pictures, as brass goes, it is far from antique.
All that to say, if you want antique brass get antique brass, cause you will be dead before your shiny brass is antique!

L1000286_zpssd29mcfk.jpg

Last edited:

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking about the tumbled Black FQHH for a Bootlegger - anyone have that combo? Thinking about the Vicenza too, but Tumbled does save some money and might it develop a better patina over time?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would go with the shiny because I really like to see the creases and grain appear as the jacket breaks in. I have a sample piece of the tumbled at home and it is quite lovely as well. As Ton said, either one is a good choice.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did a bit of digging and found my old zippos... Both are 10 years old.

On the right is my brass zippo, carried and used daily for 7 years . Solid brass, no coating.
On the left is a second solid brass zippo, received as a gift, never used.

This is a lighter, handled much more than a zipper would ever be, it has much more surface area that touches your skin and as you can see it is still pretty shiny.
Yes it has some weird purple hues in some angles and is slightly tarnished and scratched, but i can't get it to show in pictures, as brass goes, it is far from antique.
All that to say, if you want antique brass get antique brass, cause you will be dead before your shiny brass is antique!

L1000286_zpssd29mcfk.jpg
I have two of the exact same lighters. Rugged little guys.

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
I bought this steerhide Bootlegger off their "Sales/Used" page around a year ago.
Ad copy: "This cross between an early flight jacket and a motorcycle jacket represents a vintage styling no longer made by any other manufacturer. The front zipper is fitted at an angle giving a generous wind flap with an extra button fastening at the neck, three deep pockets, only the breast pocket of which is fitted with a zipper, military style epaulettes, adjustable strap and buckle at the waist, stitched on 'Cossack' style half belt at back and fitted with luxurious Alpaca Wool body lining c/w cotton drill sleeve lining. Comes with hidden storm cuffs for wind resistance as standard.
Near excellent condition - no worn areas or deep scratches - smooth and supple."

I found the entire experience to be incredibly expensive after shipping and customs (USA) - I believe it wound up somat $840. I also own several Aero horsehide jackets and I have to say I love the steerhide compared to h/h- because it is supple and easy to wear, and get on and off. This particular jacket is awesome in every way - I love the storm cuffs and the lining makes it a very warm jacket for winter days. One thing with horsehide is that it is going to wear with lots of character - that is it will develop lines, crinkles, discolorations, etc - some really like this aspect - for me the jury is out - I am not much for the "distressed" look personally (just depends on the application and your particular preference) - but for horsehide to get to that state will take at least a few years of steady wearing whereas good quality steehide/cowhide gets softer with age but shows less "character" so to speak. These pics don't do it justice - it is really a beautiful "classy" jacket:
5.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="I went for the tumbled cordovan HH which is great and I'm happy with but if the new Cordovan Vicenza was available at the time I would have definitely gone for that.[/QUOTE]

I had a cordovan Hercules at one time - had to pass it on as it was too small in the shoulders for me - but man, I seriously dig that color! I would love to add a h/h cordovan to my wardrobe.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
If I were going to get one I'd do the Premiere cut in dark seal Vicenza. If I went with the standard cut, I'd go for CXL FQHH or steer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo