Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cossack or 30's HB?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I found a few older threads on the forum but was wondering if anyone had current photos / reviews of their Aero Cossack? From what I previously read, the Cossack is a bit roomier...between 50's HB and 30s HB. I already own a black vintage FQHH 50s HB but this time want something a little more fitted, not skinny jean tight though. Thought I also saw a few negative posts about the armhole / sleeves on the Cossack being too low and limiting range of movement...is this true? Maybe I could ask for the 30'sHB arms then. The photo below from Aero's page is the fit and color I'm looking for. Not sure what exact hide it is, kind of dark brownish but not glossy like the regular FQHH. Thanks for the help!

cossack.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As far as I can determine, the primary difference between the 30's Slimfit and the Cossack is that the Cossack has a plain back (no yoke), throat latch, and no breast pocket, which features appeal to me. I suspect the fit of the two jackets would be close to the same. Aero or Insurrection should be able to answer your question with certainty.

I think Fanch is right, that the 30s HB and Cossack are from the same pattern with some modifications. I think the pictured one is in Cordovan.
Ask Carrie@Insurrection to be sure.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Another jacket to consider is the Pioneer, which is based on a 1940's pattern that retains the button cuffs of the 1930's. Holly had told me that the Pioneer is closer in fit to the 1950's HB pattern than the 1930's. As you can see from the picture of my Pioneer below compared to the Cossack above, the Cossack is designed lower in the front and shorter in the back than the Pioneer.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I'm ordering direct from Aero so I'll ask next week when theyre back in the office. Any other thoughts on the Cossack hide pictured, could it be Steer? It doesn't look like the regular FQHH in brown as that's usually much lighter.

I'm thinking the same roomy fit picture above so I can layer a sweater under and then cinch the side straps to get shape. Keeping the waist a bit looser as well. Planning on no chest pockets, no back yoke, but adding full bi-swing because I look the look / clean long lines. This would also avoid any odd pleating of the the back panel I think. Probably ditching the throat latch since I doubt I'd use it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since you live in the US, rather than go directly through aero, consider ordering through Insurrection since they can take your information and send you a test jacket to fine tune the process. Much faster acquisition as well.

Go through the Insurrection fit process if you are in the US!!!
You'll save yourself frustration and time- and the $$ is very close if not the same.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
No members with Cossack pictures / comments?? Also trying to see if no chest pocket is too plain. My other jackets all have one left pocket so I was thinking a change might be nice.

Thanks for the fit suggestion route, but I already own a couple jackets and pretty much have my shoulder, pit, back length, waist all locked in.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well I own a 1930's half belt and I would miss the top pocket. I like the look of that pocket and actually use it to store phone, keys and public transport travel card.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I hear you, was just thinking that no chest pockets might be a clean look. I want to be able to wear this with business casual attire (jeans, tucked in dress shirt) and not look to motor cycle ish. Was also toying with the idea of two horizontal chest pockets but thought that might look a bit young/rockerish. I'm already 35 and getting up into grown man years ha!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's funny I only like the 2 chest pocket look on a cafe racer. I find it to busy on anything else. I also prefer my cafe racer without side pockets. I get the clean look. I just think there is something really period about those single chest pockets. But they are not compulsory.

Damon B

New in Town
Hi, i recently got a cossack, and i love it, by far the best aero ive had in terms of style and fit. I did
however 'size up', ive had a highwayman, longshoreman and a cafe racer and none of them have
allowed me to get a jumper underneath, i personally think aeros come out on the small side but
ive read it depends on the style (i guess thats obvious really).
I too like the fact it has no zipped chest pockets and i also like the plain back.
The halfbelt allowed me to go up a size as it gives a great shape when pulled in and i also like the front being a tad longer than the back. Much to my suprise i do use the throat latch too even tho its a bit stiff to begin with.
I would guess, and it is just a guess, that the fella in your pic has also gone for a larger size as it looks the same fit as mine. Hope some of this helps?!k

pauleway

Practically Family
Planning on no chest pockets, no back yoke, but adding full bi-swing because I look the look / clean long lines. This would also avoid any odd pleating of the the back panel I think. Probably ditching the throat latch since I doubt I'd use it.[/QUOTE]

I wanted a full bi-swing on a 30's half-belt and they said they would not do it for the 30's HB, or the Cossak design. Better check first, or you might have to go with another style.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The 50's HB Deluxe has a bi swing, but that's an entirely different beast.....
The large cargo pockets on the HBD are very functional, although my preference would actually be a HBD without the cargo pockets and without the diagonal breast pocket for a cleaner look. I like the biswing back though. I have an overall similar effect to all of the above on my Teamster.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Hmm, this might put a dent in that plan. Did you ask them recently or last year? I sent an email to Holly before Christmas so I figure they have some catching up to do. Once I hear back from my initial email, I'll ambush her with the questions / wish list! Maybe by waiting and not hassling her something magical will happen.

If not, I need to re-think the jacket. Already have a very similar Long half belt with full bi swing from Schott in burgundy steer. Picked that up at a sample sale for a steal! Little tight in the shoulders, but a bargain. If only I could stretch them .5"

pauleway

Practically Family
Hmm, this might put a dent in that plan. Did you ask them recently or last year? I sent an email to Holly before Christmas so I figure they have some catching up to do. Once I hear back from my initial email, I'll ambush her with the questions / wish list! Maybe by waiting and not hassling her something magical will happen.

If not, I need to re-think the jacket. Already have a very similar Long half belt with full bi swing from Schott in burgundy steer. Picked that up at a sample sale for a steal! Little tight in the shoulders, but a bargain. If only I could stretch them .5"

I was told that Aero would not put a Bi-Swing back on the 30's HB, or the Cossack designs. I wound up getting a very nice Wool/Leather Pioneer style jacket. After that, I contacted Amanda at Alexander Leathers, and they made me their Arkansas design (basically identical to 30's HB) WITH the Bi-Swing back I prefered. Turned out perfect, and the Bi-Swing does make a nice difference in movement and comfort!

pauleway

Practically Family
Also, seeing you are in NJ, do yourself a favor and order from Insurrection in Seattle, they are very nice to deal with, and can help you with all your questions and concerns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24