Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero CXL FQHH

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
From their latest social media post:

Just to give anyone who is considering placing a Chromexcel Horsehide order soon an update – Horween have advised us they have revamped their supply chain and the ongoing supply issues should be sorted from December onwards. However this does mean that most Chromexcel Horsehide orders now placed may not be ready until early 2023 - we're very sorry for the delay here and sadly we can't be more specific as the situation is always changing and out of our control.

Below we’ve outlined some options to consider if you’re thinking of placing an order in Chromexcel Horsehide and would like your jacket sooner:

Option 1: Switch to Chromexcel Steerhide - Because it's the most widely available hide in the world, Horween have no issues at all sourcing Steerhide to make into Chromexcel.
Chromexcel Steerhide is a bit heavier and thicker than Horsehide, however it takes less time to break in and usually has a more consistent grain throughout the hide.
The untrained eye (and even the trained one sometimes!) would struggle to distinguish between the Horsehide and Steerhide versions of Chromexcel (see 3rd pic CXSH on left), so unless having a Horsehide jacket is a priority for you, we would strongly suggest switching to Chromexcel Steerhide to get your jacket sooner.

Option 2: Switch to our batch of thinner Chromexcel Horsehide - The latest batch of Chromexcel Horsehide we received was thinner than our usual batches, coming in around 1-1.2mm thick compared to the usual 1.4mm and wearing more like a heavier midweight leather than regular Chromexcel. As you can see from the first picture, the leather is beautiful and the exact same quality as Chromexcel normally is and this a great (and rare) opportunity if you’d like the look and properties of CXFQHH without the long and tough break in period. We have Cordovan, and Cherry available in this thinner batch.

Option 3: Switch to an alternative midweight leather - We also have wide range of other great Horsehide leathers available including Vicenza, Kelpie, Jerky and Battered Horsehides. Our Badalassi Steerhide is another fantastic option that is becoming a firm favourite both here and with customers.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I love CXL. Thin or thick. Thinner works better in the winter, especially on jackets that uses buttons.
I've got a jacket in the queue now that uses Cherry CXL and was held up in production waiting for material. Then I saw their social media post about the Horween delivery issue, so I thought I post it here. I am going with the thinner CXL btw, it's a Grizzly jacket with button cuffs so sort of worked out perfectly for me.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
From their latest social media post:

Just to give anyone who is considering placing a Chromexcel Horsehide order soon an update – Horween have advised us they have revamped their supply chain and the ongoing supply issues should be sorted from December onwards. However this does mean that most Chromexcel Horsehide orders now placed may not be ready until early 2023 - we're very sorry for the delay here and sadly we can't be more specific as the situation is always changing and out of our control.

Below we’ve outlined some options to consider if you’re thinking of placing an order in Chromexcel Horsehide and would like your jacket sooner:

Option 1: Switch to Chromexcel Steerhide - Because it's the most widely available hide in the world, Horween have no issues at all sourcing Steerhide to make into Chromexcel.
Chromexcel Steerhide is a bit heavier and thicker than Horsehide, however it takes less time to break in and usually has a more consistent grain throughout the hide.
The untrained eye (and even the trained one sometimes!) would struggle to distinguish between the Horsehide and Steerhide versions of Chromexcel (see 3rd pic CXSH on left), so unless having a Horsehide jacket is a priority for you, we would strongly suggest switching to Chromexcel Steerhide to get your jacket sooner.

Option 2: Switch to our batch of thinner Chromexcel Horsehide - The latest batch of Chromexcel Horsehide we received was thinner than our usual batches, coming in around 1-1.2mm thick compared to the usual 1.4mm and wearing more like a heavier midweight leather than regular Chromexcel. As you can see from the first picture, the leather is beautiful and the exact same quality as Chromexcel normally is and this a great (and rare) opportunity if you’d like the look and properties of CXFQHH without the long and tough break in period. We have Cordovan, and Cherry available in this thinner batch.

Option 3: Switch to an alternative midweight leather - We also have wide range of other great Horsehide leathers available including Vicenza, Kelpie, Jerky and Battered Horsehides. Our Badalassi Steerhide is another fantastic option that is becoming a firm favourite both here and with customers.
Hello!
I received a CXL horsehide jacket recently in Thunderbay, and I believe it is made of the thinner horsehide that you have mentioned in option 2. I REALLY love this leather, it requires practically no break in, and is light/medium weight while still being very strong. This is an outstanding leather, I think I got very lucky!

All options presented are great choices, and option 2 is a particularly good choice.
I have a heavy CXL in steerhide from Aero so I am able to compare the difference.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hello!
I received a CXL horsehide jacket recently in Thunderbay, and I believe it is made of the thinner horsehide that you have mentioned in option 2. I REALLY love this leather, it requires practically no break in, and is light/medium weight while still being very strong. This is an outstanding leather, I think I got very lucky!

All options presented are great choices, and option 2 is a particularly good choice.
I have a heavy CXL in steerhide from Aero so I am able to compare the difference.
That was a nice Thunderbay. You did well there. It's a hard one to get right because the thick lining.

I also have the Northeaster in the thinner CXL and I love it for winter use. Thinner CXL are grain monsters too. This jacket is still about mid 6lbs so not exactly feather weight.

Image1.jpg

When Aero say thinner it is actually not that thin, compared to leather used on many other brands. But compared to the regular CXL FQHH it's a bit thinner. I think it's actually a good thing. And that Aero over thinked it but was very open about it which I appreciate.

Enjoy the Thunderbay, cooler days are coming.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
When I first started reading/posting here, I fell into the trap of I needed the heaviest stuff known to man. So that's what I looked for on my first several jackets. Most of those jackets have been sold.

I'd gladly trade in my Sheene for thinner FQHH CXL. Don't get me wrong, it's evolving like a freak, but it's a finnicky freak. Works better in my warmer climate with the warming up of the waxes and all that, but not something I'd grab first thing on a chilly morning.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
That was a nice Thunderbay. You did well there. It's a hard one to get right because the thick lining.

I also have the Northeaster in the thinner CXL and I love it for winter use. Thinner CXL are grain monsters too. This jacket is still about mid 6lbs so not exactly feather weight.

View attachment 456863

When Aero say thinner it is actually not that thin, compared to leather used on many other brands. But compared to the regular CXL FQHH it's a bit thinner. I think it's actually a good thing. And that Aero over thinked it but was very open about it which I appreciate.

Thanks! It turned out amazingly, there is not a thing about that Thunderbay that I would change. I can't wait until it gets cold haha. I love heavy amounts of grain development, so I am very happy to read this about the thinner hides.
That is also an excellent jacket, the Northeaster, very good choice! I love the way the grain has developed on the sleeves especially.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Back in 40s, it was very desirable to wear thin and pliable horsehide. Old school love the look. One thing is for certain. The early Harley cycle king are thinner than the newer cycle champs. The leather on the champs, both HH and SH are of the same thickness, and they appear very much alike. I will describe the hide as 3Oz. The cycle king is about 2.5Oz thick.
For my reproduction, I will go with 4 to 4.5Oz CLX Steer Hide due to the better abrasion protection. Times have changed...

ssleather_harley-davidsonad_1947.jpg

Last edited:

nattevagten

One of the Regulars

View attachment 456863

Is the thinner CXFQHH always so grainy or did you specifically ask for an ultra grainy hide? I was offered this option as well, but I prefer cleaner hides. Perhaps it would be a better idea to wait until they stock regular CXFQHH again?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is the thinner CXFQHH always so grainy or did you specifically ask for an ultra grainy hide? I was offered this option as well, but I prefer cleaner hides. Perhaps it would be a better idea to wait until they stock regular CXFQHH again?
I'd always ask for extra grainy extra thickness. But in my experiences with CXL it has very wide range. Sometimes the hide starts mirror smooth and stays mirror smooth, and sometimes it starts mirror smooth and turns super grainy very fast. It's always a surprise. I don't think thick or thin has to do with the grains. Grains show up when they show up.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Having a skived CXL and a CXS, the CXS is definitely more pliable and softer, the CXL still has more crunch to it which I'm sure will break in. I'd say the CXS has almost the same amount of character but not quite, but the trade off is easy.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Having a skived CXL and a CXS, the CXS is definitely more pliable and softer, the CXL still has more crunch to it which I'm sure will break in. I'd say the CXS has almost the same amount of character but not quite, but the trade off is easy.
CXL Steerhide is my go to choice for actual comfort wearing too. I only opt for FQHH at Aero for the color assortment. They've got their own midnight blue and the cherry that I just can't find elsewhere. My incoming JL is Navy CXL Steerhide, but it's not the blueberry/pine tree mid night blue FQHH Aero uses. I think the very first navy FQHH they used is the same color as the JL one I've got coming but then they changed it to differentiate I guess. My knees are weak and bends at one small shade difference in colors...

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
CXL Steerhide is my go to choice for actual comfort wearing too. I only opt for FQHH at Aero for the color assortment. They've got their own midnight blue and the cherry that I just can't find elsewhere. My incoming JL is Navy CXL Steerhide, but it's not the blueberry/pine tree mid night blue FQHH Aero uses. I think the very first navy FQHH they used is the same color as the JL one I've got coming but then they changed it to differentiate I guess. My knees are weak and bends at one small shade difference in colors...

Lol, yeah the Aero Midnight Blue CXL is amazing, practically black. I'm a bit of a whore for blue, my concern is that as it ages and fades it conjures up memories of cheap jeans whose color ran after washing.

In any rate, I finally had a chance to wear my CXS jacket over the weekend and while it's stiff relative to other leathers, it was still pliable and comfortable, and it's just such a thing to look at. My CXL jacket just stays in the closet.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Lol, yeah the Aero Midnight Blue CXL is amazing, practically black. I'm a bit of a whore for blue, my concern is that as it ages and fades it conjures up memories of cheap jeans whose color ran after washing.

In any rate, I finally had a chance to wear my CXS jacket over the weekend and while it's stiff relative to other leathers, it was still pliable and comfortable, and it's just such a thing to look at. My CXL jacket just stays in the closet.
That's the thing. The Navy CXL will fade to grey and then to the teacore brown. Not like those bleached stone wash jeans I hope! The only navy blue horsehide that stays navy blue is the Vicenza and the Shinki. Both are very nice too.
Thing with JL is they are always getting different leather too. I have a jacket in queue in navy Essex Horween cow. Yes I am nuts for navy too. I find navy a bit classier than the edgier black. And with the caramel contrast stitching it helps me pretend I am younger than I am. haha.
Always ask (JL) what they have or what they are getting, leather wise. It's constantly changing and they get a lot of gems.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
That's the thing. The Navy CXL will fade to grey and then to the teacore brown. Not like those bleached stone wash jeans I hope! The only navy blue horsehide that stays navy blue is the Vicenza and the Shinki. Both are very nice too.
Thing with JL is they are always getting different leather too. I have a jacket in queue in navy Essex Horween cow. Yes I am nuts for navy too. I find navy a bit classier than the edgier black. And with the caramel contrast stitching it helps me pretend I am younger than I am. haha.
Always ask (JL) what they have or what they are getting, leather wise. It's constantly changing and they get a lot of gems.

Totally, it was how I got the burgundy CXS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ