Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Elvis vs J106

Samcurr

Familiar Face
Looking to go for either of these jackets but want to know the difference in the cut between the two. I know the Elvis is cut shorter and there's a difference in pocket styles, but what are the other differences in terms of sleeves, shoulder, chest etc.

Are they both practically the same jacket in terms of fit/style or if I wore both back to back would I see a difference?

Would you recommend ordering a size down for a trim fit (not a Ridley slim) as to avoid either jacket looking like a box? (Tall slim guy here)
Any info would help. Thanks!

BlueSteel

One of the Regulars
I suspect the lack of response on this indicates how few of us have owned both the Elvis and J106, or even tried both on.

I own a J106, but never tried on or owned an Elvis. I like the looks of both, and seriously considered the Elvis, but found a great J106 at Thurston Bros.

I really like the length of the J106 I bought - nearly 27". I am 6 feet tall, but have a long trunk...maybe as long as you would expect on someone 6'2" or so. For me, the length on the J106 I bought is perfect. Actually, the jacket fits great all around for me. But I am not a slim guy at all. I'm not sure that the J106 or the Elvis is cut with a tall and slim customer in mind. I always thought the Ridley was the one to fit that description.

Hopefully someone who has experience with the Elvis jacket can post and provide some details.

Are they both practically the same jacket in terms of fit/style or if I wore both back to back would I see a difference?

Nope. The Elvis is based on an Aero Motorcycle / Brando pattern, thus is much boxier than the J-106, with wider shoulders and an extremely narrow waist. It's a good looking and flatteringly fitting jacket but one that I found to be considerably uncomfortable to wear.

J-106 is more trim - or form fitting, if you will - like a Cafe Racer and actually quite nice in every way. Less tapered (V-shaped) with nearly no chest to waist drop ratio. Hence I found the jacket to be a bit too wide in the waist but I guess that's what the belt is for.

Would you recommend ordering a size down for a trim fit (not a Ridley slim) as to avoid either jacket looking like a box? (Tall slim guy here)
Any info would help. Thanks!

Being of such a specific pattern (and provided they haven't altered it in the mean time) my suggestion is to try it on beforehand. I had a size 42 which was too large for me everywhere except in the waist, which was so tight I could barely zip-up the jacket over anything more substantial than a T-shirt.[/QUOTE]

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
trim fit (not a Ridley slim) as to avoid either jacket looking like a box? (Tall slim guy here)
Unfortunately, I do not know your desired models.
What's wrong with a Ridley with the j106 features? Because tall and slim would speak for it.
At least for me it worked well and I am also tall and slim. Have the Ridley with the pocket setup of the j106.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a standard Elvis size 40 in production. I was under the assumption it’s more or less the same shape as the Indian Ranger, but I could be wrong. The mystery of Aero sizing continues.
But I have a few Daytonas which in theory should be the same as the J106. And in size 40 it’s 19” ish shoulder measure from the back, 23” ish P2P, 20” ish hem, 25” ish back length.
The IR in size 40 has a bit bigger P2P, closer to 24”. And back length is shorter by about an inch at 24” ish, 24.5” if I stretch it. The biggest difference is the hem which is only about 18.5” max. I’m expecting the Elvis to be same as the IR, but I could be wrong.

06A9A1FD-3674-4B4C-8782-88EE3DCBCC3A.jpeg

I have a standard Elvis size 40 in production. I was under the assumption it’s more or less the same shape as the Indian Ranger, but I could be wrong. The mystery of Aero sizing continues.
But I have a few Daytonas which in theory should be the same as the J106. And in size 40 it’s 19” ish shoulder measure from the back, 23” ish P2P, 20” ish hem, 25” ish back length.
The IR in size 40 has a bit bigger P2P, closer to 24”. And back length is shorter by about an inch at 24” ish, 24.5” if I stretch it. The biggest difference is the hem which is only about 18.5” max. I’m expecting the Elvis to be same as the IR, but I could be wrong.

View attachment 388583

Great jackets. Now, talk to me about the slippers.

Samcurr

Familiar Face
Nope. The Elvis is based on an Aero Motorcycle / Brando pattern, thus is much boxier than the J-106, with wider shoulders and an extremely narrow waist. It's a good looking and flatteringly fitting jacket but one that I found to be considerably uncomfortable to wear.

J-106 is more trim - or form fitting, if you will - like a Cafe Racer and actually quite nice in every way. Less tapered (V-shaped) with nearly no chest to waist drop ratio. Hence I found the jacket to be a bit too wide in the waist but I guess that's what the belt is for.

Being of such a specific pattern (and provided they haven't altered it in the mean time) my suggestion is to try it on beforehand. I had a size 42 which was too large for me everywhere except in the waist, which was so tight I could barely zip-up the jacket over anything more substantial than a T-shirt.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. How was the length on the Elvis? Did it sit above your belt?
I fit perfectly into a Sz 36 Perfecto 618 and can even squeeze into a 34 (for the skinny look), so I'm thinking of doing a 36 Elvis. Unfortunately, trying it on is not an option as I'm stateside and Thruston doesn't have an Elvis fit jacket.

Samcurr

Familiar Face
Unfortunately, I do not know your desired models.
What's wrong with a Ridley with the j106 features? Because tall and slim would speak for it.
At least for me it worked well and I am also tall and slim. Have the Ridley with the pocket setup of the j106.
Nothing wrong with the Ridley, just going for a different look as I already have a slim fit cross zip.

Thanks for the info. How was the length on the Elvis? Did it sit above your belt?

Not sure it matters as you'll order your jacket any length you prefer. If you are asking what the standard length of the jacket is, I have no idea.

Mich486

One Too Many
With those super tapered patterns you have to embrace the short look. Otherwise either you won’t be able to zip the jacket comfortably or it will rest on your hips and make that unsightly ballooning effect. I learned it the hard way with the grizzly which is super tapered and I couldn’t zip it comfortably at the waist with more than a thin layer (I have a fairly narrow waist).

In other words, with those patterns fit the waist and let the chest be whatever it is.

Samcurr

Familiar Face

View attachment 388583
Curious. What's your height and weight?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Curious. What's your height and weight?
I'm 6' and 170 lbs.
With the Aero 50's moto jackets (including the cafe racer), I find that the waist or hem circ. is the most critical. I wear size 32 pants (actual pant waist measurement is 33"). The hem on my standard size 40 IR feels tight, I've always wished it was an inch bigger. I just assumed the Elvis would be the same. My guess is that the hem would only measure 16.5" max on size 36 Elvis, and would be for guys with pants size in the 28/30 range. This just my guess, I don't know for sure.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
OP, few pics of the fit of a J-106 here.....https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-‘mongrel’-aero.106144/

This was just out of the box and although the jacket has a KOTR back, the fit characteristics are of a J-106,

I'm a 43" chest and a 33" waist at the navel. The jacket is short in length at 22", had it made that way as all trousers are high rise. The jacket size is 44".

Samcurr

Familiar Face
OP, few pics of the fit of a J-106 here.....https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-‘mongrel’-aero.106144/

This was just out of the box and although the jacket has a KOTR back, the fit characteristics are of a J-106,

I'm a 43" chest and a 33" waist at the navel. The jacket is short in length at 22", had it made that way as all trousers are high rise. The jacket size is 44".
This helps as I was thinking of going for a 22" length. I like jackets to sit right above the belt. What's your height?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk