Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero HalfBelt and/or Highwayman?

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Does the difference between the two jacket justify to have them both? I owe a Highwayman in black. The Half Belt in cordovan looks nice. I need someone to tell me if there is a big difference in the cut. Does anyone on this forum own both and can tell me the pros/cons on both jackets?

Thanks!

NSG
Yep...I own both styles. The HB is trimmer cut(more form fitting) through the body than the Hwymn's more boxy cut. Also the cinch side straps are positioned higher than the Hwymn. I would say that the Hwymn has more of a standard '50s pattern for a wider range of body structures. The HB perhaps more appropiate for the more slender build. I also own several '30s style Halfbelts which are even trimmer...higher cut(A2 like) slimmer button sleeves...sloping back to front waist('30s style)..for the slim athletic shape. I'm 6'2"..and a slim 185 lbs.
The Hwymn and HB are,indeed,two different styles. I like both..prefering the FQHH.
Pros: Hwymn...Good all around utility jacket. Cons:..None that I know of.
Pros: HalfBelt...A little more stylish. Cons: Not so middleage spread compatible.
Pros: "30s HalfBelt...1930s even more stylish. Cons: Definately for a slim tapered fit!
I hope this helps.
HD

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Aero's super stylish 30's halfbelt (which is totally different from the Highwayman) is their finest offering, and like HD said, probably not for everybody these days. But if you watch a movie like Chaplin's MODERN TIMES, which features a lot of blue collar-type extras, even the heavier guys are wearing trim, short jackets.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Look at the LHB

HoosierDaddy said:
NSG
I would say that the Hwymn has more of a standard '50s pattern for a wider range of body structures. The HB perhaps more appropiate for the more slender build. I also own several '30s style Halfbelts which are even trimmer...higher cut(A2 like) slimmer button sleeves...sloping back to front waist('30s style)..for the slim athletic shape. I'm 6'2"..and a slim 185 lbs.
The Hwymn and HB are,indeed,two different styles. I like both..prefering the FQHH.
Pros: Hwymn...Good all around utility jacket. Cons:..None that I know of.
Pros: HalfBelt...A little more stylish. Cons: Not so middleage spread compatible.
Pros: "30s HalfBelt...1930s even more stylish. Cons: Definately for a slim tapered fit!
I hope this helps.
HD

This piece of advice/info is spot on - I can't add to it other than to mention Aeros Long Half Belt which I think would be worth looking at. I say so because its really not that long in my view ( by comparison to the 'standard' half belt) and would look good on a taller person where the shorter waist length jacket could have a torso shortening effect I bought one earlier this year and I am VERY happy with it. My chest size is 41" and Aeros A2 in a size 42 fits me fine but when I ordered my LHB I wanted a trimmer 30s type of fit. Aware that Aeros non military jackets have a slightly roomier fit, I opted for a size 40 and the resultant fit was exactly what I was looking for. Hope this is of some use - I'll post a pic later

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the answers.

I would like to ask you guys a favor and please post a photo of your HB with you wearing it, if you don't mind. As usual, living on the US West Coast and ordering from UK, I find it pricey to have to return jackets that don't fit properly the first time. How does this HB need to fit and how low should it reach in back and front compared to a Highwayman? Should both jackets measure the same sleeve length and back length?

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
PICS

NextStepGuy said:
I would like to ask you guys a favor and please post a photo of your HB with you wearing it, if you don't mind. As usual, living on the US West Coast and ordering from UK, I find it pricey to have to return jackets that don't fit properly the first time. How does this HB need to fit and how low should it reach in back and front compared to a Highwayman? Should both jackets measure the same sleeve length and back length?

As promised, here are a couple of pics of the Aero LHB. I took the dog for our Xmas day walk and the temp is close to freezing but I was nice and warm in the LHB with just a shirt underneath. Sorry the pics aren't of the highest quality but just a simple camera was used so they're not very high res.
At least it'll give you some idea - I aint no model !! LOL

Colin

PC250004.jpg
[/IMG]

PC250005.jpg
[/IMG]

PC250009.jpg
[/IMG]

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Thanks and happy christmas.

These shots look really nice. I can't understand why top manufacturers selling expensive stuff don't have real life shots. Makes a big difference.

I start to like the half-belt better than the highwayman. It looks classier. I love the way the jacket fits in the back and I now understand fully the meaning of "half belt" that gives that narrow trim look around the waist line. Very slick indeed. This is a brown color isn't it?

Thanks again and have a nice holiday. I will definitely contact Aero when they re-open in January.

PS: The dog looks sharp too btw. You must have a good time walking him in the park with this awesome jacket :)

PSS: I noticed that you added A2 pockets on the jacket. Was it your choice or did Aero use to to make the HB with A2 pockets?

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Thank you

NextStepGuy said:
These shots look really nice. I can't understand why top manufacturers selling expensive stuff don't have real life shots. Makes a big difference.

I start to like the half-belt better than the highwayman. It looks classier. I love the way the jacket fits in the back and I now understand fully the meaning of "half belt" that gives that narrow trim look around the waist line. Very slick indeed. This is a brown color isn't it?

Thanks again and have a nice holiday. I will definitely contact Aero when they re-open in January.

PS: The dog looks sharp too btw. You must have a good time walking him in the park with this awesome jacket :)

Yes, it is the standard aero brown hide. As I say, the pics really don't do it justice as the hide has an almost reddish tinge to it which you will be able to see way more clearly if you look at the pics of Salv's barnstormer. His photos have got the colour rendition just right.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13550&page=2

BTW the dog is a bitch but she thanks you for your kind comments lol

Have a wonderful Christmas

Colin

bfrench

Familiar Face
silhouette53 said:
As promised, here are a couple of pics of the Aero LHB. I took the dog for our Xmas day walk and the temp is close to freezing but I was nice and warm in the LHB with just a shirt underneath. Sorry the pics aren't of the highest quality but just a simple camera was used so they're not very high res.
At least it'll give you some idea - I aint no model !! LOL

Colin

Hi, Colin,

Congratulations on the new jacket.

I'll reiterate what NSG has said - the repro makers could do lots better using pics of actual buyers to present their jackets. Both you and the dog make good models.

The front and back poses are great to display the jacket. Especially like the one of both you and your friend.

Merry Christmas,

Bill French

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

I would like to add a couple of things.

First, I would highly recommend having a bi-swing back installed. They add ~$40 to the jacket, but they add a lot of comfort, especially if you need to do any reaching.

Second, when I was forty pounds lighter, I noticed that my FQHH halfbelts tended stick out at the bottom when I pulled in the adjustment straps. My mid-weight jackets, however, didn't have that problem. I really like the half-belts, but I would be careful buying a FQHH jacket if you have a 'V' shape.

I hope this helps.

Paul Vickerman

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
bi-swing back

I am not sure about the bi-swing back option. My indy jacket has a bi-swing back by default and I really don't like the look of it. It seems to open up too much all the time and doesn't give that sharp cut. Colin on the pics above looks pretty fit and the jacket looks great on him. Wouldn't the bi-swing option make the jacket a bit too "busy"? If you have a pic of a half-belf jacket with bi-swing back, I'd be curious to see what it looks like. Thanks!

NSG
I think if you look closely...Colin's LHB does have the optional bi-swing back. Some are just made neater...and don't "batwing" or spreadout as much as others. I like both patterns..with and without. However,for MC riding..I certainly think a Bi-swing is needed.
HD

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
YES IT DOES

HoosierDaddy said:
NSG
I think if you look closely...Colin's LHB does have the optional bi-swing back. Some are just made neater...and don't "batwing" or spreadout as much as others. I like both patterns..with and without. However,for MC riding..I certainly think a Bi-swing is needed.
HD

Just catching up on this thread.... yes indeed, the LHB ( as far as I'm aware ) has the bi-swing back as standard although I guess Aero will make one without it if requested. The extra movement available is very useful but certainly isn't excessive and doesn't in any way 'spoil' the look of the jacket.
Aeros U.S outlet is run by Mark Moye and he will go above and beyond the call of duty in providing you with whatever help and info you might need. Indeed his website has photos galore of every Aero jacket from every conceivable angle. Heres a link to it - simply scroll down and drool over the goodies on offer !! - enjoy !

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Slim fit LHB

I just like the look of the slim fit for the Half-belt jacket that Aero released. The cut seems to fit better my V-shape. I was wondering if you guys have any advices regarding going for the slim fit or not? I also wonder if the slim fit would look nice with the cargo pockets or the cut simply would make it too busy to have those installed. Thanks for your comments.

NSG
I wasn't aware that Aero made a trim fit LongHalfBelt...or trimmer than the regular cut. However,they do make a '30s style HalfBelt that,as mentioned earlier, has a trimmer V body shape...narrower sleeves..button adorned cuffs. I'm 6"2" 185lbs...and all my HBs are the '30s style. I also like the way the bottom of jacket slants toward the front('30s style).
The Long HB comes standard with flap pockets..and bi-swing back.
Many of Aero's pics are poor representatons of the actual jacket(can't figure that one out!).
IMO..the Cargo flap pockets more suits the LHB...rather than the reg HB. However they did make,at one time,a "Deluxe" HB that included the flap style pockets on the waist length jacket. I have them on my Longshoreman (a short jacket)also...but just think they look better slightly lower as on the Long Half Belt.
HD

fraazierjo

New in Town
longshoreman

Really nice jacket. I have a similar "Outerwear" half back horsehide jacket from around '54. It's in unbelievably excellent shape - Heavy supple leather, sheepskin lining, nice strong horsehide aroma. Looks like it's been worn only a few years. Someone was taking really good care of this baby! Available for worthwhile swap - A2 maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24