Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman arrived

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic fit, Fanch. Knowing the issues you've had with sleeve lengths from some of your other posts, I'm glad you've now got exactly what you wanted, and that it works so well. The vintage black was a great choice too, as I love the shiny yet slightly worn quality mine has.

Now you've got the sizing and sleeve lengths nailed, I sense another order coming on. :)

Yep, likely more than one! I was very appreciative of your input regarding your vintage black FQHH Teamster, which input largely influenced my decision to go with vintage black FQHH for my HWM, and even determining a future Teamster, albeit in a different vintage FQHH color.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket.
I also think the fit is good, it will mold to your body and actually look less big after wear because right now its a little bit "baloon" and that will go away.
Sleeves look perfect.

I would also (like HD says) consider dampening the collar with a warm wet cloth and shape it - and correct until dry. I always do this on my jackets and it makes me feel like they are even more custom tailored for me.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Personally I have never bothered breaking in jackets with water or whatever. These ideas put forward may well work fine but I seem to get mine wet in the rain haha. As for the jacket being stiff, I have had both my front quarter horsey Highwayman jackets a few years and they are always stiff first thing, especially if stored in a cold porch or like . Just put it on and soon the leather will become nice and flexi like normal.
There are some tips on breaking in jackets on the Aero link page.
John

Windward

Practically Family
Great Jacket and good choice to go for the vintage FQHH - also got one Windward in black (and brown) Vintage FQHH and its always a joy to look at the grain and wear it. Also like your combination with Chinos/Khakis - special in the "britsh khaki" color you're wearing. BTW: Since I found that no jeans fits me well I gave up looking for jeans. Are the sleeves really 27" long? It look perfectly for me and since the sleeves shorten noticeably with wear I am also thinking to add 1" or 2" to the sleeves for my next AERO.

Asking the Community - will be 1" enough or can I also go with 2" add to the sleeves because I like it on the longer side????????

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great Jacket and good choice to go for the vintage FQHH - also got one Windward in black (and brown) Vintage FQHH and its always a joy to look at the grain and wear it. Also like your combination with Chinos/Khakis - special in the "britsh khaki" color you're wearing. BTW: Since I found that no jeans fits me well I gave up looking for jeans. Are the sleeves really 27" long? It look perfectly for me and since the sleeves shorten noticeably with wear I am also thinking to add 1" or 2" to the sleeves for my next AERO.

Asking the Community - will be 1" enough or can I also go with 2" add to the sleeves because I like it on the longer side????????

I have long arms anyhow (all arms and legs; short torso), and the sleeves were set at just over 27 inches. Ken was very reticent to make the sleeves any longer, and said that creasing would not shorten the sleeves any more than 1/2 inch max. I think that Ken feels that many of us wear our sleeves much too long, myself included, since I am so aware of my long "stork arms" anyhow.

The pants are Bill's Khakis that are made in the USA. This is his heaviest 10.2 oz. "Bullard Twill Field Pant" and come in khaki and olive colors. I am wearing the now discontinued British khaki. I have all three colors, although my favorite is the British khaki. The Bullard, along with Bill's 14 oz. 5 pocket jeans, are my favorites of all of Bill's products. I wear the Bullards to work with dress shirt, tie, and sports coat. As soon as I get home, I put on my jeans. I have found that Bill's Khakis, Filson, and Aero are my favorite clothing items; all are meant to be worn hard, and even abused, without coming apart.

wdw

One Too Many
I think Fanch was absolutely correct to push for the longer sleeves, as although they might be longer than the standard look created by the designer, the sleeves look absolutely right for Fanch.

He's now wearing a jacket that fits well everywhere and looks bang on for him, rather than a standard jacket that looks wrong on a tall guy with long arms.

schitzo

Suspended
agreed. Fanch and I are the same height and my next aero sleeves will be 27.25".

@Windward. How tall are you? Fanch and I are 6,2 if that helps

Windward

Practically Family
I have long arms anyhow (all arms and legs; short torso), and the sleeves were set at just over 27 inches. Ken was very reticent to make the sleeves any longer, and said that creasing would not shorten the sleeves any more than 1/2 inch max. I think that Ken feels that many of us wear our sleeves much too long, myself included, since I am so aware of my long "stork arms" anyhow.

The pants are Bill's Khakis that are made in the USA. This is his heaviest 10.2 oz. "Bullard Twill Field Pant" and come in khaki and olive colors. I am wearing the now discontinued British khaki. I have all three colors, although my favorite is the British khaki. The Bullard, along with Bill's 14 oz. 5 pocket jeans, are my favorites of all of Bill's products. I wear the Bullards to work with dress shirt, tie, and sports coat. As soon as I get home, I put on my jeans. I have found that Bill's Khakis, Filson, and Aero are my favorite clothing items; all are meant to be worn hard, and even abused, without coming apart.

YEP - Bills Khakis is the one and only for me - fabric, fit, drape is outstanding ... heavy cotton drill and heavy FQ Horsehide are the best matching.
I've got several Bills Khakis mostly in color khaki and british khaki which ages very nice like your old blue jeans - The Bullard with 10,5 oz is the flagship and on my wishlist because I got only the Original Twills (Models M1, M2, M2P - the M2 is the one for me) with "only" 8,5 oz twill.

Windward

Practically Family
I measured my brown once again and the sleeves are just 25" others measures 25.5" - only my first one measures 26" in the sleeves which feels perfect to me.
Fanch hope you dont mind ....
Are the sleeves OK (25") or should it be any longer (26") like I've marked on the right sleeve.
LONGERSLEEVES_zps16cea38a.jpg

The sleeves should run to the first knuckle of the thumb . . . @Fanch - your sleeves looks just perfect!!!!!

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think it comes down to personal taste/use, though I think if they were riding up on to the wrist, it might feel a bit exposed. As it is, those look perfectly fine to me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I measured my brown once again and the sleeves are just 25" others measures 25.5" - only my first one measures 26" in the sleeves which feels perfect to me.
Are the sleeves OK (25") or should it be any longer (26") like I've marked on the right sleeve.

The sleeves should run to the first knuckle of the thumb . . . @Fanch - your sleeves looks just perfect!!!!!

Your sleeves look fine to me as are and IMO wouldn't want to go any longer. Keep in mind that I have no creasing as yet, and when I do, my sleeves should have a similar appearance as in your picture above.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
agreed. Fanch and I are the same height and my next aero sleeves will be 27.25".

@Windward. How tall are you? Fanch and I are 6,2 if that helps

Height is not the only criterion for sleeve length. I am between 6,1 ad 6,2. My son is 6,5 but his arms are about 1/2" shorter than mine. When I gave him a size 46 HWM that was too big for me, including body length of 28 inches, the 27.25" sleeves were fine for me but slightly too long for him, as illustrated in the picture below:

d5042f1e.jpg

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Sloan1874 for your comments and opinion... thanks Fanch for the pic ... interesting to see those comparison.
Its funny but in my suit jackets I find the sleeves often too long because you have to see enough of the cuffs of shirt.
Happy seasons to all of you and your family.

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family

The sleeve length in that picture is perfect IMO!

pauleway

Practically Family
Fanch - Beautiful jacket, great fit. I always have to have the sleeves shortened on my jackets. On my 50's Aero HB I custom ordered the sleeve length is 23" and right on the money for my 160Lb. 5"7" frame!

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Sorry for the repeat picture. But I had to do it. That is one BADASS jacket. Great Squadron Patch to boot. Modded pockets, no woolies and added zippered pockets! My god's man what a brilliant piece of mods you've done there.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo