Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman arrived

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
After several months of waiting for my Aero Highwayman, the package arrived about mid-week. I kept asking for delays as I vacillated between MWHH and plain vs. tumbled vs. vintage FQHH. I finally settled on Vintage Black FQHH with .5" added to body length and 1.5 to 2" added to sleeves. Holly was exceptionally helpful in formulating my final plans and can't thank her enough for her indulgence and assistance.

905560C5-BA68-47D8-8CF7-815995377D68-501-0000008C238EBA42.jpg

4576E73B-8B09-447D-AEA6-7C92F203B1DF-501-0000008C2C152802.jpg

0B7389BA-0F92-439B-B76A-3687B02600BD-501-0000008C34378737.jpg

B61D6FED-4E48-4A79-A70D-D31B6B7A01C4-501-0000008C426DB334.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Looks very nice Fanch.........superb fit. See the leaves have fallen in earnest there. Good sign you'll be wearing it quite a bit before the heat returns.
Friend of mine in Fredericksburg is ready to move..........she's getting tired of warm winters down there.
Wear it in good health my friend.

Regards,
coffee

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I think it's gorgeous with a spot on fit, too. But I still wanna know what do you think about it? I always like to hear the backstory. What you were thinking when you got it? What ecological niche is it going to fill in your jacket trousseau? What are your big plans for it? I really like the Highwayman-type: old school with no action back and an infinite side adjustment to die for. I'm working on one myself and if it looks like yours, I'll be more than satisfied.

Secret message to Fanch, 228.49 (or how I turned a million dollars in real estate into ten dollars cash). :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think it's gorgeous with a spot on fit, too. But I still wanna know what do you think about it? I always like to hear the backstory. What you were thinking when you got it? What ecological niche is it going to fill in your jacket trousseau? What are your big plans for it? I really like the Highwayman-type: old school with no action back and an infinite side adjustment to die for. I'm working on one myself and if it looks like yours, I'll be more than satisfied.

Secret message to Fanch, 228.49 (or how I turned a million dollars in real estate into ten dollars cash). :eusa_doh:

Well, I think that the FQHH Aero HWM is an iconic jacket and decided on one with black vintage FQHH that might be slightly thinner and slightly more flexible than the "regular" FQHH. Yesterday it was actually cold enough for me to wear it to work with a Filson 24 oz. Mackinaw wool vest layered underneath, and didn't get that cold while standing outside in 30 degree weather with a 30 knot wind wind blowing while waiting for my DART train to arrive. I also have a steerhide HWM that I bought from the Aero 'sale' page in June and used it as a model for this one. I found that another 1.5" in the sleeves and only .5" in body length makes a huge difference in feel. I decided not to go with storm cuffs and am glad that I didn't since I live in Texas rather than Wisconsin. As HoosierDaddy said regarding his vintage black FQHH Stuart, mine is also pretty stiff at this point and will take some breaking in. I hope that I am up to the task!

Great Fanch! You nailed the fit. Looks good..and I'm happy for you!
Now go forth and battle the break-in.
May I suggest that one of those plastic spray bottles and tap water may help the process. Wet down then wear around till dry..then repeat untill satisfied. Can also wet and shape the collar.
Even if not..it still looks good..and will look even better after worn for awhile.
HD

winterland1

Practically Family
Wow look at all the new Aeros today. Love the black. I am sure you are glad it fits. I want one that fits.
Did you get any inside pockets?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Fanch... the jacket looks great. A classic style with a classic look. You've some nice jackets (I've seen your other posts). You certainly nailed the sleeves. How much do you normally cinch in the waist?

Worf

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hey Fanch... the jacket looks great. A classic style with a classic look. You've some nice jackets (I've seen your other posts). You certainly nailed the sleeves. How much do you normally cinch in the waist?

Worf

I cinch in the waist at about the halfway point but don't want a tight fit at the waist: just loosely snug if that makes any sense. I could have probably gone down to a size 42 rather than 44, although it is a fairly snug fit with a Filson 24 oz. Mackinaw vest when it is cold. I was particularly happy with the sleeves.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wow look at all the new Aeros today. Love the black. I am sure you are glad it fits. I want one that fits.
Did you get any inside pockets?

One inside vertical snap pocket and probably should have gone with one on each side since the zipped breast pocket is mostly ornamental.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great Fanch! You nailed the fit. Looks good..and I'm happy for you!
Now go forth and battle the break-in.
May I suggest that one of those plastic spray bottles and tap water may help the process. Wet down then wear around till dry..then repeat untill satisfied. Can also wet and shape the collar.
Even if not..it still looks good..and will look even better after worn for awhile.
HD

HD, the HWM felt pretty stiff at first but after wearing it for several hours, I barely noticed it. I can say that you more than anyone else influenced my decision to go with the vintage FQHH over 'regular' FQHH, and especially over the MWHH. Although you have said repeatedly that you are not a jacket expert, IMO you are, and have influenced many of us novices on the FL to make the correct decision(s). Now, for the next one ...!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Looks Great Fanch!

That Black Vintage Horse is really sharp. I agree with you about having enough room so that it isn't super tight and with a size 44 you can easily put a sweater on and not have to struggle to zip it up.

Wilbur

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks Great Fanch!

That Black Vintage Horse is really sharp. I agree with you about having enough room so that it isn't super tight and with a size 44 you can easily put a sweater on and not have to struggle to zip it up.

Wilbur

Thanks Wilbur: We are both a comfortable size 44, except my elevator shoes are a bit higher than your's. Have a great holiday season!

wdw

One Too Many
Fantastic fit, Fanch. Knowing the issues you've had with sleeve lengths from some of your other posts, I'm glad you've now got exactly what you wanted, and that it works so well. The vintage black was a great choice too, as I love the shiny yet slightly worn quality mine has.

Now you've got the sizing and sleeve lengths nailed, I sense another order coming on. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21