Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman fit advice wanted

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
It looks like it's cinched in at the buckles? Cinching these jackets in creates that ballooned-out in the middle sides look. I wouldn't want one of these if I had to wear it cinched in for it to fit better. If you like the way it fits at the shoulders and chest, you could request that it be taken in a little at the side panels for a slimmer fit in the waist and torso. However, due to your height and weight you could probably do a size 38. I had one of these in a 38. I'm 6 ft 175-ish and the fit was good, a little roomy with room to layer without being too tight.

I've also had a Premiere Hwmn in a 42, and to be honest, I wasn't a fan of the Premiere version of this style. The way it fit my body was just kind of odd. I much preferred the regular Hwmn in a 38. The only reason I sold mine was because I got a Ridley D-Pocket which I liked even better

Last edited:

LAW7

New in Town
Think it was mentioned, maybe not, but maybe a 38? The 40 to me looks classic one size too big. But layering would be tricky in anything cxl if you want to know my opinion.

You got it right that slightly too big is better than slightly too small. The other hard cold truth has been said in other ways too. Looking good in photos may not equal comfortable too. And really hardcore aficionados will have a jacket to wear open, a jacket for warmer weather, a jacket for layering, etc.

The 40 with a taper could be a good compromise too. But that 40 seems a little big up top too.

Regarding the 38 HWM, after Carrie and company saw my 44 PHWM fit jacket photos, Carrie told me they couldn't decide whether to send me a 38 or a 40 HWM fit jacket. I chose to get the 40.

Maybe it's slightly big on top, but as you say, that's arguably better than slightly too small. And this is a jacket for layering. So here's the current draft of the order:
STYLE- Standard Highwayman with Olive Drab stitching. Zip sleeves, like on Café Racer.
SIZE- 40 with 1 inch removed from each side (this should reduce waist/bottom hem by 2 inches in
total circumference)
LEATHER- CXL FQHH
COLOUR- Tumbled Brown
ZIPPER METAL TYPE- Nickel Aero-branded front zipper with nickel diamond pull on chest pocket
LINING- Olive cotton drill lining with black cotton sateen in sleeves
STORM CUFFS- No
SLEEVE LENGTH- 26.5 inches (fit jacket is 26.5 inches)
BODY LENGTH- 26.5 inches (fit jacket is 26.5 inches)
INSIDE POCKETS- __________________________

LAW7

New in Town
It looks like it's cinched in at the buckles? Cinching these jackets in creates that ballooned-out in the middle sides look. I wouldn't want one of these if I had to wear it cinched in for it to fit better. If you like the way it fits at the shoulders and chest, you could request that it be taken in a little at the side panels for a slimmer fit in the waist and torso. However, due to your height and weight you could probably do a size 38. I had one of these in a 38. I'm 6 ft 175-ish and the fit was good, a little roomy with room to layer without being too tight.

I've also had a Premiere Hwmn in a 42, and to be honest, I wasn't a fan of the Premiere version of this style. The way it fit my body was just kind of odd. I much preferred the regular Hwmn in a 38. The only reason I sold mine was because I got a Ridley D-Pocket which I liked even better

You're right, in the 40 HWM photos I have it cinched in at the buckles. And as you and others have pointed out, that had the opposite effect of the one I was going for. I didn't know what I was doing. As for the 38 HWM, I've got a couple of inches of height and a few pounds on you, so it's marginal, and I'm going with the 40 with the one inch of taper on each side. Hope that works out.

Regarding the 38 HWM, after Carrie and company saw my 44 PHWM fit jacket photos, Carrie told me they couldn't decide whether to send me a 38 or a 40 HWM fit jacket. I chose to get the 40.

Maybe it's slightly big on top, but as you say, that's arguably better than slightly too small. And this is a jacket for layering. So here's the current draft of the order:
STYLE- Standard Highwayman with Olive Drab stitching. Zip sleeves, like on Café Racer.
SIZE- 40 with 1 inch removed from each side (this should reduce waist/bottom hem by 2 inches in
total circumference)
LEATHER- CXL FQHH
COLOUR- Tumbled Brown
ZIPPER METAL TYPE- Nickel Aero-branded front zipper with nickel diamond pull on chest pocket
STORM CUFFS- No
I would ask for thinner leather in the zip sleeve gussets.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

total circumference)
LEATHER- CXL FQHH
COLOUR- Tumbled Brown
STORM CUFFS- No
@LAW7 Welcome to the Fadora Lounge
I read through all the posts and feel you made a sound choice with your order. If you are only going to have a couple of jackets it's hard to beat an HYM in brown CXL horsehide. The Tumbling will leave the jacket more comfortable to wear out of the box. I do want to compliment you on the effort and detail you put into determining your first jacket and your responses to all the suggestions here.
Waiting forward to you in your new jacket

LAW7

New in Town
@LAW7 Welcome to the Fadora Lounge
I read through all the posts and feel you made a sound choice with your order. If you are only going to have a couple of jackets it's hard to beat an HYM in brown CXL horsehide. The Tumbling will leave the jacket more comfortable to wear out of the box. I do want to compliment you on the effort and detail you put into determining your first jacket and your responses to all the suggestions here.
Waiting forward to you in your new jacket

Thanks for that, and thanks again to all of you who have been helping me. I will definitely post fit photos when I get the jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I know you've already set your mind to an Aero and the Highwayman is a great jacket with a classic design... but it's also notoriously difficult to get the sizing right. There's a very small margin between looking good but feeling restrictive, and allowing for movement but looking a bit generous.

Personally, I'd go for a Thedi. Thedi patterns are well thought out, allowing for a trim fit without comprising mobility. This (follow link) might be a good candidate if you like the highwayman design.

And really hardcore aficionados will have a jacket to wear open, a jacket for warmer weather, a jacket for layering, etc.

That's where I ended up lol.

t-shirt fit

All rounder

Great for layering

1AB0B565-81F1-4A55-BE6A-BE97ACEA5508.jpeg
1512E138-63E5-4DD5-A295-7FFE580C0381.jpeg
2F8F3595-D514-4563-80B8-BA02BAE178AB.jpeg

LAW7

New in Town
I know you've already set your mind to an Aero and the Highwayman is a great jacket with a classic design... but it's also notoriously difficult to get the sizing right. There's a very small margin between looking good but feeling restrictive, and allowing for movement but looking a bit generous.

Personally, I'd go for a Thedi. Thedi patterns are well thought out, allowing for a trim fit without comprising mobility. This (follow link) might be a good candidate if you like the highwayman design.

That's where I ended up lol.

t-shirt fit

All rounder

Great for layering

View attachment 374684 View attachment 374685 View attachment 374686

Your Thedi and nickv's are both fabulous. (But of course you look great in everything.) Perhaps I should have gone with Thedi from the start, but as I mentioned in my original post I have an emotional connection to Scotland. Plus as I mentioned I was a clothing retailer for years and I have empathy for Carrie and I don't want to ask her to start over with me on a Thedi. I know, I'm the customer, it's my money, the customer is always right, but there is definitely a limit to all that from my point of view. On the other hand, if I knew for certain that I'd get a meaningfully better fit with the Thedi HWM derivative, I'd push through that limit. But I don't know that. So I think I'll stick with Aero.

LAW7

New in Town
Back in November I promised to post fit photos on this thread after I received the custom standard Highwayman I decided on with the help of Carrie and this TFL crew. It took almost six months to get it, first because of Horween FQHH supply issues, apparently, and second because apparently Aero messed up the first try and had to remake it. To recap how I got to what I ended up ordering, first Carrie sent me a 44 Premier Highwayman fit jacket, which I thought was too tight and made me look like an overstuffed sausage. Next she sent a standard 40 HWM fit jacket, which was clearly too big on top -- but I preferred it too big rather than too small. TFL commenters generally disagreed and preferred me in the Premier, and at least one commenter above said I should go even smaller on the Premier. I ended up getting a standard in the same size as the fit jacket, 40, with one inch removed on each side, in Tumbled Brown. I just tried it on for the first time a few minutes ago. Here are the first fit photos and a closer look at the jacket.

IMG-2217 cropped.jpg
IMG-2216 cropped.jpg
IMG-2219.jpg

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back in November I promised to post fit photos on this thread after I received the custom standard Highwayman I decided on with the help of Carrie and this TFL crew. It took almost six months to get it, first because of Horween FQHH supply issues, apparently, and second because apparently Aero messed up the first try and had to remake it. To recap how I got to what I ended up ordering, first Carrie sent me a 44 Premier Highwayman fit jacket, which I thought was too tight and made me look like an overstuffed sausage. Next she sent a standard 40 HWM fit jacket, which was clearly too big on top -- but I preferred it too big rather than too small. TFL commenters generally disagreed and preferred me in the Premier, and at least one commenter above said I should go even smaller on the Premier. I ended up getting a standard in the same size as the fit jacket, 40, with one inch removed on each side, in Tumbled Brown. I just tried it on for the first time a few minutes ago. Here are the first fit photos and a closer look at the jacket.

View attachment 420291 View attachment 420293 View attachment 420294
Looking good

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I just got a new FQHH Highwayman in black from Carrie. 6’2” (extra length) and about 175 now. I’ve realized I’ve just gained weight and now it’s a little slim for my liking. Off to the classifieds it will go I’m afraid.

Usually 2 sizes down solves most of the 50s Aero patterns for a good fit, but I didn’t take into consideration I’m no longer the scrawny guy I once was.

marker2037

Practically Family
I just got a new FQHH Highwayman in black from Carrie. 6’2” (extra length) and about 175 now. I’ve realized I’ve just gained weight and now it’s a little slim for my liking. Off to the classifieds it will go I’m afraid.

Usually 2 sizes down solves most of the 50s Aero patterns for a good fit, but I didn’t take into consideration I’m no longer the scrawny guy I once was.
Why don't you just try to lose some weight?

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars

View attachment 420291 View attachment 420293 View attachment 420294

Nice fit on this one. I do not think you will have any regrets, especially hen it starts to soften up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto