Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman fitting advice needed

Fred121

New in Town
Good morning gentlemen,

As threadname says, I would be thankful for some help with sizing my first Aero Highwayman. I've tried several on through the years but never bought one. Not sure what size they were but since they all were in second hand shops the tag doesn't have to be that relevant since Aero can costumize the jacket. I did however try on a new 42, with 0,5" off from the sleeves.
It was way to big pit to pit, a bit to big in the shoulders and about 1,5" to long in rthe sleeves. Overall looked a bit like a tent.

I'll write my meassurements here in cm and try to conform into inches:

Height 173cm >
Pit to pit 50cm (around 102cm)
Shoulders 48cm

I guess it's either a 40 or a 38. I'll be wearing at least a t-shirt and a denim shirt/sweater underneath, sometimes even something thicker.

I'll be happy to hear your thoughts and advice.
Cheers and best regards/Fred
(pardon if any of my writing sounds wierd, this is the longest text I've written in english for years)

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
I’d go with a 42 adjusting the length to suit your arms and height. Maybe a 40 could work but you’d be pushing it already (neck hole might be too small, etc).

It’s an oversized pattern design. If you prefer a more fitted cut then I’d consider the premier version.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you sure about the shoulder width?
How do you measure it?
How does it look with the belly/hem?
The standard highwayman has a boxy cut and doesn't fit so well if you are too narrow around the waist. The premier highwayman might be better.
Assuming the shoulder width is right, it will be harder to fit that to the p2p.
I would take a 42 with 111 cm relaxed chest and have the shoulders widened to 19.75. And that would still be too wide for me.
If 20.5 shoulders fit, you'll have about 25.5 p2p on the jacket, which is really a lot. With the smaller sizes, it might be harder to get the shoulders to fit.
If I were you, I would start with a 40 and hope that Aero can expand the shoulders that much.

Hi, Fred. Welcome.

I am a size 40 in most leather jackets & I have tried on several HWM jackets & at 187 cm, 80-ish kg, I learned that a size 38 fits me the best if I want it to look... Well, relatively fitted. Straightforward.

Size 40 works for me as well for that over-sized look, the way the jacket's intended to be worn I guess but it's still undoubtedly too big of a jacket for me.

My first custom HWM was a size 42 which proved to be massively too large, something that was becoming more and more obvious the longer I wore it. At first, when the jacket is brand new it's hard to tell whether & how well it fits you because it is still holding its flattering boxy shape but the more it starts to break in and relax, more prominent all the issues become.

So I'd go with a size 38 if I were you and as crazy as it seams, you can definitely pull off a 36 because I could, too.

Are you sure about the shoulder width?
How do you measure it?

That's another thing I wanted to ask about; @Fred121, if you've taken these measurements off your body - Which I presume you have - & not measuring the jacket that fits you well, then they're definitely very wrong.

54 cm shoulder width would put you at a size 46 to 46 which judging by the other numbers you've given us, definitely isn't the case. Same as there's NO way your arms are (only) 55 cm long.

Only measure your chest circumference over your body, nothing else.

Your weight would help in this case, too.

Fred121

New in Town
Many thank's for the replies. It seems, no matter who does it, the numbers get messed up. My shoulders aren't 54. Tried meassuring it by myself in front of the mirror now and I'd say 46-47cm. Arms more like 60cm. That makes a bit more sense, I guess

Last edited:

Fred121

New in Town
These meassurements are taken from my body, wearing a t-shirt. Howevere, I need to go get some help meassuring properly, for the 4th time this month lol.
My weight is 75kg. My waist is 92cm

MrProper

These meassurements are taken from my body, wearing a t-shirt. Howevere, I need to go get some help meassuring properly, for the 4th time this month lol.
Do you have a jacket that fits the way you want the leather jacket to fit? Because the dimensions of this jacket would then be good start parameters. For the corrected measurements, I join Monitor. Size 38 better than 40.

Don't measure yourself. This is the biggest mistake you can make, one that can cost you a lot of money if you order a jacket based on the numbers you've gotten that way because I can promise you, those numbers will be off.

Go to any store that sells clothes, try on a whole bunch of leather jackets, find the one that fits you best & take the measurements off it. Communicate the rest with Aero.

Fred121

New in Town
A size 38 would leave 2” of headroom on top of your 42” actual chest size. In this pattern it doesn’t work.
I might be a bit slow today. But, what do you mean
Do you have a jacket that fits the way you want the leather jacket to fit? Because the dimensions of this jacket would then be good start parameters. For the corrected measurements, I join Monitor. Size 38 better than 40.
A jacket that fits me well. Not a leather jacket, but about the same thickness and same kind of boxy fit:
Ptp. 58 cm
Shoulders 52 cm
Arms. 62 cm
Back lenght 63 cm

MrProper

A jacket that fits me well. Not a leather jacket, but about the same thickness and same kind of boxy fit:
Ptp. 58 cm
Shoulders 52 cm
Arms. 62 cm
Back lenght 63 cm
Now, if you take a few photos of you wearing the jacket and also show how/where you put the tape measure on, you will certainly be well helped here regarding the measurements.

Ptp. 58 cm
Shoulders 52 cm
Arms. 62 cm
Back lenght 63 cm

P2P is a textbook size 38 HWM. Shoulders are definitely very wide on this jacket, though.

I suspected that 60-63 cm sleeves should be good for you but see how this doesn't make any sense according to the number you've gotten by measuring your arm?

Fred121

New in Town
P2P is a textbook size 38 HWM. Shoulders are definitely very wide on this jacket, though.

I suspected that 60-63 cm sleeves should be good for you but see how this doesn't make any sense according to the number you've gotten by measuring your arm?
Yes. I guess meassuring arms is no good here. Just keep in mind that around 62 cm is good.
The meassurements done right now
Taken with a t-shirt and a sweater:
Pit to pit 50cm
Shoulders 48cm

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I guess meassuring arms is no good here. Just keep in mind that around 62 cm is good.
The meassurements done right now
Pit to pit 50cm
Shoulders 48cm

Honestly, don't measure yourself it's a waste of time, measure a jacket you own that fits well and that is of a similar shape/design to the highwayman.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Agree on both counts. By your numbers, I’d start with a 38.

Very good suggestion by @MrProper to just measure a well fitting jacket lying flat. It’s a bit easier than trying to measure yourself without some help.

Fred121

New in Town
Got some help with meassuring.
Pit to pit 50cm
Shoulders 48cm

Also meassured 2 jackets that fits me good. Not leather but about the same boxy style as the hwm, and they both are:

Ptp 56-58cm
Shoulders 52cm
Back 63cm
Arms 62cm

Will this settle it?

Got some help with meassuring.
Pit to pit 50cm
Shoulders 48cm

Also meassured 2 jackets that fits me good. Not leather but about the same boxy style as the hwm, and they both are:

Ptp 56-58cm
Shoulders 52cm
Back 63cm
Arms 62cm

Will this settle it?

I stand by my original assessment - Size 38 with 62 cm sleeves. Shoulders are irrelevant.

Robson

Familiar Face
I am 184 cm 84 kg and chest 104 cm
My HWM is a size 40 and its not a tight fit, a thick sweater is no problem. The HWM is a boxy fit, If I wanted a thighter fit a 38 would be possible.
20220313_130118 (2).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112