Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman Length Check Help Needed

ikickass

New in Town
20231113_160227.jpg

20231113_160254.jpg

Hi. New to FL, just registered today.

This is my Aero Highwayman I purchased last year. It just started to feel like it is breaking in since I couldn't wear it in the summer. I really love this jacket and try to wear it as much as I can.

I got this one taylored by the official Aero. They asked me to send pics of myself in jackets that I own, and then told me what is the right length for my body, how it should look, etc..

Got this one after these procedures, so I always assumed that this is made well since they are the experts. But recently I started wondering if this is the right torso length for me.

I tried to figure it out myself by looking at other's threads that had similar doubts, but realized everyone's body looks different.

When I look at myself in the mirror, to me it seems like it is a bit short, like it would have been okay with 1 more inch. I don't know if it is this way cuz I never really owned any of these short style of jacket or just cause I am looking down from where my eyes are.

If I take pics and look at it from perspective, it looks fine. I heard the length should barely cover the belt halfway or something, which it does in the pic.

Also It definitely looks more natural and nice unzipped. Somebody said it is supposed to be worn mainly unzipped. I wonder if this is also true.

I can't afford to sell this and get a new one even if this is not the perfect length, but I would like to get some confirmation from the experts here to feel more affection to my jacket.

Plz help! Thx

TartuWolf

Practically Family
With that pair of pants (or anything with a similar rise, which seems quite high already) I'd want the jacket to be longer. My own technical ideal is covering the belt (completely) but not covering the front pockets (completely).
From the back it looks great on you, only the front should be longer according to my own (personal!) standards.
One suggestion would be to try a pair of overall jeans - might look a lot better since there is no belt reference.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks like the pants sit quite low in the front. I think it looks good for that. Worn open, it will definitely fit.
Overall, I think the pictures are coherent and I think you can wear the jacket without hesitation.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It’s a touch short in the front for my liking, but the back looks spot on.

I‘m not familiar with that pattern .… is it supposed to have a front drop?

Looks good though as far as my preference goes, it is perhaps a tad too long but either way, it definitely is not too short.

Your jeans are the only culprit here which can easily be solved by upgrading them.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Bad news first, if you have doubts about length now, then it's too short.

Good news, it's still wearable.

I had two stock sized Highwayman jackets before in different thickness leathers I wore them for about a year or so before moving them on. Felt short on length, but wearable. I went custom on the third one, my current HWYMan, add one inch, and it's a keeper.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
Most of my jackets are worn on the bike so I prefer the shorter classic motorcycle style. Perfect for me is showing a bit of belt so I think you’re definitely in the game. It’s not my intent to disparage anyone’s fashion sense, but I think you’ve got more of a pants problem than a jacket one. Maybe trying it with some different jeans or some khaki’s would tweak where the bottom hem lands. If we’re talking a half an inch off or so, that can easily be compensated with a little different rise to the pants.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
It looks like there's nothing wrong with it...it looks the way it's designed to imo. Personally I like mine with a tad extra length, but that's just me. Some of the fans of short jackets here would tell me some of my jackets are too long and are abominations LOL

The highwayman simply can’t be lengthens without blowing it away. Length looks perfect. It’s meant to hit right where it’s landed on you. I agree a different pair of jeans would help. You don’t have to go full Erkel. A pair of Levi’s 517 or whatever will set you right.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Yep,
Bad news first, if you have doubts about length now, then it's too short.

Good news, it's still wearable.

I had two stock sized Highwayman jackets before in different thickness leathers I wore them for about a year or so before moving them on. Felt short on length, but wearable. I went custom on the third one, my current HWYMan, add one inch, and it's a keeper.
yep, that’s my experience too … once something like that gets in your head it’s not going to go away.

Edward

Bartender
Length looks spot on to me. If it were any longer it would have been too long.

Edit: typo

Agreed. I've seen one too many really nice, classic leather designs absolutely ruined when someone thought it was a good idea to lengthen them to work with the cut of modern trousers on which the "waistband" is four to six inches below the natural waist. Throws the proportions all off. My view, if you want a jacket that hits that length, buy a different design that was created to be that length from the off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner