Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman or 1930s Halfbelt?

kronos77

One of the Regulars
It's nice to be tall isn't it! at 5' 10" my Mulligan is about as short as I would want a jacket to be, so not sure how very tall people would look unless they are skinnier.

Height is not relevant for this matter at least. Just as long as the length of the jacket balances outr your torso to leg length ratio. Short torsos need longer length jackets, by an inch or so. Long torsos need shorter lengths to make the legs look even with the upper body. That's all.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@tweedydon I am 6'2" and have a 35" inseam and like you am all arms and legs with somewhat short torso in relation to my height. I have two jackets based on Aero's 1930's HB: a seal jerky Mulligan and a black goatskin Maxwell. I generally have the bottom button on both unbuttoned when sitting, so no bunching up as @dan_t described. I have owned a couple of HWM jackets but think a 1930's pattern works best for my build that is similar to that of the OP. Just my thoughts.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
just got my size 44 30s halfbelt today. All I can say is it's SLIM! WARNING, anybody who works out and build arms and upper back beware. This jacket is dainty, it's quite light given its FQHH wool lining, and the sleeves and chest (pit to pit 22.75) will need to be stretch out. It all fits, but it's already like a glove.... I really have to start considering size 46 jackets in general.... otherwise it's a beautiful jacket!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
regius - congrats on the new acquisition! Hope we see photos soon. My 44 '30's HB has a lot more room than my size 42 Cafe Racer, but yes it'll still be snug. Wear it for 20-30 minuites inside, let it warm up on your body and it should relax and start gently breaking in. Enjoy!

just got my size 44 30s halfbelt today. All I can say is it's SLIM! WARNING, anybody who works out and build arms and upper back beware. This jacket is dainty, it's quite light given its FQHH wool lining, and the sleeves and chest (pit to pit 22.75) will need to be stretch out. It all fits, but it's already like a glove.... I really have to start considering size 46 jackets in general.... otherwise it's a beautiful jacket!
Wow that's a super slim 44". My 42" in the 30's HB was closer to 24" P2P and the 44" fit jacket I tried on was closer to 25"! That's a huge variance across the labeled size.

44 that I briefly had was exactly 23.5". I sold it so I triple checked the measurements beforehand.

regius

Since my first Aero back in 2011, I have gone through about 20. My first was a 30s slim HB in cordovan, when Will and Amanda was still there. The size was a 42 I think 'cause at the time I was a 38 and they adviced it's slim. It was massive and heavy, I washed it and it softened like an Irish sweater (and wrinkled like crumbled paper). I now am not sure that was even HH. I wish I had kept it. So I'm quite surprised this 44 is so slim.

nick123

I'll Lock Up

Weird sizing! My 42 was around 23 across. But it was in Vicenza. I agree with going up a size in the 30s half belt, but that is mainly preference.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a mistake somewhere. Did you send measurements? Was it through Carrie? I'd be sending some emails...

I tend to agree. I don't think I could even get a jacket on with that small of P to P measurement. I'd contact Aero and send that one back for a re-look/repair, etc.

Edward

Bartender
I had the impression that there had been some level of recalibration and pattern tweaking across parts of the Aero range since the changes in personnel across 2011/2012; perhaps that's it. Unless Regius' jacket is the Premier pattern, which is neater again? I know I definitely need at least a 44 in the regular version, but the Premier would require me to be a szie up from that again.

regius

Pants are vietnam era army issue wool (rough out), with a front patch pocket and suspender buttons, really heavy duty and warm. shoes are two tone whites jumper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy