Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman purchase advice

Quad121

New in Town
Thank you all for accepting me on this excellent forum.

ive been looking to purchase a secondhand Aero highwayman jacket. But not sure to what size to go for.

ive read through all the comments on this forum but just had to ask some of my own.

i’m 5’6” I have a 46” chest and 40” waste. I’m not slim as such, my usual leather coat size is 42 (schott) which is reasonable loose fitting.

there also seems to be a wild different measurement from pit2 pit on the same size?

any help would be much appreciated.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for accepting me on this excellent forum.

ive been looking to purchase a secondhand Aero highwayman jacket. But not sure to what size to go for.

ive read through all the comments on this forum but just had to ask some of my own.

i’m 5’6” I have a 46” chest and 40” waste. I’m not slim as such, my usual leather coat size is 42 (schott) which is reasonable loose fitting.

there also seems to be a wild different measurement from pit2 pit on the same size?

any help would be much appreciated.

Generally the Highwayman is a boxy fit. You can size down with it and many people do. Some will size down as many as two sizes (eg a person with a 46" chest might size down to a 44 or 42, depending on the desired fit.) I find that I can go down 1 size and 2 is a tight fit that I can't wear much under.

I'm not sure how you're fitting into a size 42 jacket with a 46" chest in Schott, but I guess that would depend a great deal on the exact model you're wearing.

Always go by the actual measurements of the jacket, as there's quite a few Aeros that were made to custom measurements where they adjusted off of the base tag size, which is why you see so much variability.

The lining can also affect fit, so if you see one with a thicker linking such as quilted rayon, alpaca, or shearling, take that into consideration.

You can also consult with Aero themselves and get their advice and then look for a secondhand jacket meeting those spec. They'll be happy to help because once you find a good secondhand jacket that fits, it increases the chances that you'll order new from them down the road.

Hi, welcome. You need to re-check those measurements; I doubt it that any size 42 Schott could fit a 46" chest, especially not loosely.

If indeed correct... I'm not sure. You could maybe, just maybe pull of a 44 as it is a very roomy jacket but it's best you try one on as the sizing on these jackets are all over the place.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So, a highwayman 46 on someone with a 46” chest would be quite loose fitting?
Probably. I think it's still Aero's recommendation to buy your tag size, but many people seem to prefer to size down. With your tag size I expect you can wear it over a bulky sweater, but over a t-shirt it might seem a bit loose.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you can fit a Schott size 42 you can fit in a current fit Aero Highwayman size 40, which is 24" P2P tapered down to 22" hem. Under the previous administration this same jacket would be tagged 42 I believe. I don't know how to tell what year it is made by just looking at the photo. Aero always have Highwaymans on their sale page, new or used. Just email them to see if they got one. I think that would be the safest bet than risking on eBay, unless you can return, then it's ok.

Psant25

One Too Many
I have a 40 ish chest and I like my highwaymans size 38 they have a 23.5 inch pit to pit as stock. Aero can provide stock measurements for you.

I get a size 38 tapered to a 36 waist have done that now for 2 of them and really like it. I have an athletic trimmer body

Did not like the standard size 38s had 2-3 and did not like the premiers size 42 for my body

I would simply go one size down from your chest measurement for a highwayman and tweak sleeve/body length if needed. Dont over think it.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You need to go by the actual measurements of the jacket. I pretty much disregard tag sizes now.
True, and especially true for the Highwayman. As @Guppy said there are many customized Aero’s out there and often the tag size doesn’t really reflect the actual measurements of the jacket.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
With your chest size, I’d be looking for a PtoP measurement of at least 24.5”. That might feel snug depending what you want to wear under it.

For me, I like about 4-6” over my chest size to layer with sweaters or UHFs.

It’s great that you have a chance to try one on. Bring a soft tape measure with you, so that you can take some notes.

Quad121

New in Town
I went and tried on the jacket but it was slightly big, but he did have an older one which did fit better but was in well worn condition . it was a good price so I decided to buy it.
does anyone know the age from the label?

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner