Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero idea - but it could never work

Lear

One of the Regulars
When I ordered my first Aero, I was reluctant to commit so much to a garment I'd never seen, let alone tried on.

So, in an ideal world, wouldn't it be nice if once a year (London, UK + East Coast, USA + West Coast, USA), there was a gathering of Aero jackets/coats. A place where newbie and old-hands could try on and discuss the actual product. I'm not talking about a social get-together, rather, a gathering where people could nail the finer details, before placing that bank draining order.

Reasons why this could never happen:

* 300 pound giant of a man tries on your prized Aero, says thanks, then walks out the door.

* Unwashed vagrant decides he'd like to try on your Mariner, unconcerned by the fact that stale urine, body odour and HH don't mix.

* Causes unnatural fluctuations in ordering from Aero (UK & USA), meaning that only after such gatherings do the orders flood in. Potentially causing bottlenecks and delays.

* Turns into a cheerful party event. Smiling faces and happy handshakes :eek: (I'm British).

* The Barnstormers would form their own sub-group, thinking themselves superior to everyone else.

Lear

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Lear,
At heart, a great idea, and a riotous presentation:eusa_clap
But I also don't think it'd work, at least not without major modifications to the plan.
As long as we're floating ideas, here's what I'd like to see from Aero, on both their site and Mark Moye's site:
Aero bills themselves as a custom leather jacket mfr.
What they really need to do is reflect that business plan in their web sites.
Kinda like a Chinese Menu.
Gimme a drop down menu for the following:
- type of leather
- weight of leather
- color
- lining choices (both body and sleeves)
- lining bottom protection (leather, courderoy, or none)
- sleeve options (storm cuffs or not, zip closure)
- pocket options (number, placement, zip or button)
- style options (take this attribute from jacket X, this attribute from jacket Y)
- fit mods from standard (+ 1" on sleeves, chest, body length, etc)
- other options (name tag, zipper type)
This would most likely cut down on the number of dissatisfied "first time Aero owners". Think of it, most of us do research here, order our jackets, then keep reading here, only to realize "I should've done this or that to my jacket".
It would also cut down on the after order emails to either Amanda or Mark when we realize that we want to change or add something to our orders.
Now I know, a great majority of Aero customers never frequent this place, and they couldn't care less about all the options. But, I also know, that a great majority of the members here are repeat customers of Aero.
This would make great business sense for both Aero and Mark.
Your thoughts?
Lenny

Lear

One of the Regulars
OneEyeMan, all good points. We have no idea how many standard units Aero ship. Possibly, most of their customers head straight for the web site and place their order - done!

We are not normal, well actually I am, it's just that you lot aren't. If FL make up 10% of their customers, then giving the other 90% the opportunity to complicate their orders, would be... well... complicated. The drop-down menu idea is a good one. But how do you hide that idea from every customer who'd be happy with the standard product?

If I had my way, only possessors of the special qualities (long flowing ponytails, fewer teeth and unmatched ugliness) would qualify for the bespoke option. These few, these lucky few, would be given the opportunity of selecting their goat, sheep, cow or horse from a farm based web-cam.

Now that's what I'd call bespoke!

Lear

Fiver64

Practically Family
Great idea

Lenny, You're idea is one I'd love to see implemented. I hate having to ask repeated questions (some not getting answered) prior to ordering. Give us the detail/alteration prices and we'll stop bugging you with monotonous questions! Sounds like a win-win.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Aero is a business and it's not up to Aero's customers to
show their goods. Optimo hats has a similar problem - pricey
customizable clothing that one wants to touch and try on.
They have many "trunk sales" every year, stopping off at
fine men's clothing and hat shops around the country.

That's what Aero should do. I would be a lot less nervous
waiting for my jacket if I had ever had the opportunity to
see their FQHH in person and try on a few sizes.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Trunk Show

In my limited knowledge of the clothing industry I know makers use trunk shows to get out there and show customers their goods and help with making a purchase. Lucchese does it all the time and I ordered my Tres Outlaws boots via a trunk show at Will Wyatt's in Overland Park, KS.

I could see Aero making a half dozen stops around the lower 48 to allow folks to try on and feel their wares. I know I'd certainly drive more than what is thought to be normal (maybe not like the crazy female astronaut on her cross-country rampage) to find out what I like and don’t like.

Maybe if we put together some form of e-petition and send it to Aero? Boy, I wish my company had that kind of problem; customers gathering and discussing, en-mass, on how to buy our products.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Aero in Galashiels used to have factory open days, when you could visit Huddersfield Mills and try on (usually) the full range of their products, including special 'factory sales' offers. You could also meet the staff and talk to the people who run the company and who make the stuff.

Sometimes, they would even let you see the secret 'upcoming' styles and materials.

Occasionally (very occasionally) someone would buy something.

Ah, the good old days...

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
great idea- but agreeing that the meeting wouldn't work :-(

However the custom ordering form is technically (and therefore moneywise) not that complicated. I would say, as I am designing solutions like that, it would be difficult to spend more than ten days on actually programming a rather sophisticated version of a custom jacket builder.

Then the whole website direly needs a makeover and so far, Aero didn't really sound like they felt the need to relaunch their currently rather unstable and inflexible system.

garzo

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
Aero in Galashiels used to have factory open days, when you could visit Huddersfield Mills and try on (usually) the full range of their products, including special 'factory sales' offers. You could also meet the staff and talk to the people who run the company and who make the stuff.

Sometimes, they would even let you see the secret 'upcoming' styles and materials.

Occasionally (very occasionally) someone would buy something.

Ah, the good old days...

Can you no longer visit the Aero factory in Scotland? I thought it's open to the public and anyone can drop by and purchase items there. That's no longer the case?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The problem with a build-a-jacket operation is that if the maker is trying to present themselves as period or military authentic, it is to their advantage not to be flexible, because that would suggest authenticity is not their number one priority.

I don't think of Aero as a high-authenticity maker (merely higher than most), but if they get business out of being perceived that way, a custom building operation might scare away some trade.

Fiver64

Practically Family
maybe

Fletch has some good points, but I still believe that regardless of presenting yourself as an authentic maker........quality, customer service and flexibility is what keeps folks coming back, and your company in business.

Let's face it, hardcore aficiandos can certainly flood forums with discussion and/or adoration of various makers, but are there enough of them actually buying dead-on authentic items to keep a sizeable staff employed? Perhaps in cases of smaller garage shops, yes, but I don't think in the case of larger companies like Aero, Vanson or Schott. Just not practical. At the end of the day, anal tire-kickers don't put bread on the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff