Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Indian Ranger Custom - help?

Rich22

Practically Family
This is the Dark Brown waxy pull up leather from Badalassi that is advertised for sale online. You can see it's darker than the Tobacco, which is referred to as medium brown on some sites.

4A61AD5C-7151-464E-B155-CB671456CF01.jpeg

And here's a link to what it looks like when it's been made into a finished product, in this instance a watch strap:
https://www.finwatchstraps.com/prod...ch-strap-dark-brown-color-handmade-in-finland

By the way, this is the alternate back for the Ridley that I think looks particularly attractive:

33896C13-6D7F-4380-80BC-CAC94AD86E71.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero's Badalassi goes through a second process in England, so it's not the same as the Badalassi you'd get direct from Italy.

As for that design, that's the standard Ridley back.

Rich22

Practically Family
Aero's Badalassi goes through a second process in England, so it's not the same as the Badalassi you'd get direct from Italy.

As for that design, that's the standard Ridley back.
Here's the standard Ridley back, judging by Thurston's website:

5B303E26-6611-4818-8728-17A9E1448E93.jpeg
A6E4B8F5-6A49-423E-BF11-4CA67D86B4A7.jpeg
5F02064A-36B7-46EA-912F-7D034988CE81.jpeg

When the variant I posted yesterday appeared recently I was really impressed. I'd not paid much attention to the Ridley design until then.

And yes, the Badalassi has to be skived to be used to make jackets, as it's much too think in the form the tannery produce it.

Aloysius

While the makeup you posted exists (and some on this server have one), the default Ridley seems to be with the belt and styling (except Epaulettes) of the J-106.

Rich22

Practically Family
While the makeup you posted exists (and some on this server have one), the default Ridley seems to be with the belt and styling (except Epaulettes) of the J-106.
Mate, I don't know why you're trying to argue this? The "in stock" Ridley link on their site only shows the back I just showed three pictures of (https://www.thurston-bros.com/products/copy-of-in-stock-aero-ridley?_pos=1&_sid=ad8eae89f&_ss=r), and if you look back at all the past Ridley's (35 of them) not even a quarter have that back I prefer.

Some demonstrate this variant:
22361523-F9D2-4A00-840D-B51A959F7784.jpeg

And some have the cosmetic shoulder gussets.

If the one I like best were to become the "default" back I would obviously not be unhappy, but without contacting them and asking for a detailed record (and why would I ask and why would they want to check?) I can only go by information available on their website, which clearly indicates it has not be the default up until this point.

Rich22

Practically Family
Additionally, the one I said I liked is also not the same as Aero's 'default' J-106 back. You're confusing anyone unfamiliar with the designs with your comments.

531270AC-0636-44F5-A2C0-775CCE57DE50.jpeg

Here we see no Western yoke, as well as an action back with 3/4 length gussets.

Rich22

Practically Family
I'd be surprised if Aero would allow many (if any) mods to the IR pattern. I could see the mouton collar, but once you get too busy deleting and/or reconfiguring...you'll likely be pushed in the direction of another style. Of course I could be wrong.
You never know until you ask. They've been receptive to design changes when I and others have asked for them, but some designs I hear they don't like to meddle with. But they do so many variations of the classic motorcycle crosszip I don't see why they're mind a customer mixing and matching their favourite bits, ala the famous ba***rd jacket that was on here. Plus look at your own history with reconfiguring Aero jackets into your own unique creations!:D

Edward

Bartender
Some traditional V shaped motorcycle jackets not only support the V shape from chest to waist, but additionally have very wide shoulders, which can cause the shoulder seam to slope off the edge for many people, which some like more than others.

I'm not as big as a was a few years ago, but have a 10" drop from chest to waist- Aero previously told me that the bottom half of the jacket can have a different size to the top half (eg 46 top half/44 bottom) but I don't know if that rings true for all styles.

Since 2012, Aero have moved away from the free for all days. They do still do some elements of variation as long as it doesn't require pattern redrafting - that's why, for instance, some collar shapes can be fitted to some jackets but not others. They do also, of course, reserve the right to say no to something they're not happy with - which is fair enough really, given that anything that goes out there with their name on it represents their brand... As you say, the best thing to do is politely ask if a change is possible...

I really like their Indian Ranger. It's their own thing: rather than reproduce one specific model, the Aero version was designed by taking three different ones across a period of years and putting the best bits into a single jacket. It stands out because it has the Perfecto look on the one hand, but also a markedly different look as well, it's clearly not a Schott copy. The hardware I wouldn't tinker with. For me, the mix of chrome and brass, true to the originals, is part of what makes the Indian different from other models, though for an "only" cross-zip I can see why some might prefer to go uniform. Mouton collars look great on a cross-zip; I aspire to one eventually. I'll probably go black for that Johnny Thunders vibe, though if you're going to go with blackened-brown Vicenza which will eventually show brown hints in areas of high wear, in the long run a brown mouton collar could be a good choice. Aero will do a mouton on any jacket that has a collar, I believe, for the relevant upcharge. Mouton or no? Could be a good reason for both, though for an 'only' I might lean towards it if you're going for a wool lining anyhow...

You never know until you ask. They've been receptive to design changes when I and others have asked for them, but some designs I hear they don't like to meddle with. But they do so many variations of the classic motorcycle crosszip I don't see why they're mind a customer mixing and matching their favourite bits, ala the famous ba***rd jacket that was on here. Plus look at your own history with reconfiguring Aero jackets into your own unique creations!:D
All pretty mild mods in my case...The one mod I couldn't get them to bite on was as simple as putting zip sleeves on a Wayfarer. So they draw their line in the sand on certain styles. I get it.

Rich22

Practically Family
Since 2012, Aero have moved away from the free for all days. They do still do some elements of variation as long as it doesn't require pattern redrafting - that's why, for instance, some collar shapes can be fitted to some jackets but not others. They do also, of course, reserve the right to say no to something they're not happy with - which is fair enough really, given that anything that goes out there with their name on it represents their brand... As you say, the best thing to do is politely ask if a change is possible...

I really like their Indian Ranger. It's their own thing: rather than reproduce one specific model, the Aero version was designed by taking three different ones across a period of years and putting the best bits into a single jacket. It stands out because it has the Perfecto look on the one hand, but also a markedly different look as well, it's clearly not a Schott copy. The hardware I wouldn't tinker with. For me, the mix of chrome and brass, true to the originals, is part of what makes the Indian different from other models, though for an "only" cross-zip I can see why some might prefer to go uniform. Mouton collars look great on a cross-zip; I aspire to one eventually. I'll probably go black for that Johnny Thunders vibe, though if you're going to go with blackened-brown Vicenza which will eventually show brown hints in areas of high wear, in the long run a brown mouton collar could be a good choice. Aero will do a mouton on any jacket that has a collar, I believe, for the relevant upcharge. Mouton or no? Could be a good reason for both, though for an 'only' I might lean towards it if you're going for a wool lining anyhow...
The mods mentioned aren't so extreme to change the pattern- adding/removing piping/epaulets/a yoke/a kidney padel, or changing zips. That's all just fiddling with details. Plus I'd never heard of Aero in 2012. :) If this forum has taught us anything about Aero it's that they're happy to work with customers on some unique creations, which you've seen the same as I have, and that they're also typically willing to do things like alter the length of body/sleeves or widen/narrow sleeves, add/remove gussets, etc, which do require a little more alteration than the above details.

But yes, they draw a line in the sand, such as avoiding modern stylistic details or adding what they see as unnecessary leather internally, and rarely ever fiddle with a pattern when it comes to upper body shape, but instead might substitute the pattern from a similar jacket they sell. And I'd argue OP's alterations were no more major than your typical changes, Ton. (Though I'll re-read the first post again now out of curiosity.)

Edit: I agree with you, @Edward, that it's absolutely right, and in their best interest, to only do mods they feel comfortable with or that represent them well as a company.

Last edited:

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I'll just jump in here briefly the put the brakes on any further speculation or wasted time of photo shop.

Our Indian Ranger is not open to design changes.

We treat the Indian Ranger here like our Miltary jackets in regards to modifications etc….. We have take a lot of time and effort to make our Indian Ranger a very close reproduction of the original 1947 Indian ranger, this was all done at the time when we had 3 originals in our hand at the same time, all 1947 models. ( 2 in for restoration and our own archive one). We updated our old version and made the nessesary changes to sleeve zip design with open gusset (again only available on Indian Ranger and not an option on any of our other jackets) , throat tab design changed, decorative/ fake studs on collar tips, unique "D" inside pocket in the lining etc....
We are very happy with it and only allow sizing / length altertations.
We also do not offer the Indian Ranger in Chrxl as a few of the features including the sleeve zip set up just don't really work / are hard to construct. Also when comparing the 3 originals we found our Vicenza to be the best choice / closest. Black badalassi works very well too.

We have a whole number of other bike jacket / cross zip offerings that we are willing to allow design changes to ( within reason and as long as we are happy with them) Our Classic Bike, J106 / Daytona, and Slim Fit pattern.

Rich22

Practically Family
I'll just jump in here briefly the put the brakes on any further speculation or wasted time of photo shop.

We treat the Indian Ranger here like our Miltary jackets in regards to modifications etc….. We have take a lot of time and effort to make our Indian Ranger a very close reproduction of the original 1947 Indian ranger, this was all done at the time when we had 3 originals in our hand at the same time, all 1947 models. ( 2 in for restoration and our own archive one). We updated our old version and made the nessesary changes to sleeve zip design with open gusset (again only available on Indian Ranger and not an option on any of our other jackets) , throat tab design changed, decorative/ fake studs on collar tips, unique "D" inside pocket in the lining etc....
We also do not offer the Indian Ranger in Chrxl as a few of the features including the sleeve zip set up just don't really work / are hard to construct. Also when comparing the 3 originals we found our Vicenza to be the best choice / closest. Black badalassi works very well too.

We have a whole number of other bike jacket / cross zip offerings that we are willing to allow design changes to ( within reason and as long as we are happy with them) Our Classic Bike, J106 / Daytona, and Slim Fit pattern.
Thanks for the clarification. Out of curiosity, how many different patterns and different collars are there that Aero currently have for your crosszip motorcycle jackets? If someone was looking to customise one, knowing which pattern block might flatter them best would be helpful. Fingers crossed more of your jackets receive detailed size guides like you helpfully provide for The Everyman. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

hondurasdave47

Practically Family

Please correct me if I'm wrong Denny, but you can order a Ridley/Slim Fit pattern with Indian Ranger features, right?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I sure like my IR, if the fit works for you, hit up Carrie and place the order. Nice jacket there!

brokenglass

Familiar Face
Thank you all, especially @Hide'n'seek

Didn't mean to cause any ruckus or belittle any jacket pattern, historical or not. Just wanted to spitball some ideas and have the experts here weigh in, which many of you have. Cheers to that.

I probably shouldn't have even called the jacket an Iron Ranger but I do love it. My proposed jacket is a fantasy and I had to start somewhere. Also, that is the highest res image of a crosszip motorcycle jacket from Aero that I could find anywhere on the internet. My imagination is weak so I rely on photoshop.

As you guys have suggested, I'll soon get in contact with Carrie at Thurston Bros to see what the best route forward will be.

Thank you all, especially @Hide'n'seek

Didn't mean to cause any ruckus or belittle any jacket pattern, historical or not. Just wanted to spitball some ideas and have the experts here weigh in, which many of you have. Cheers to that.

I probably shouldn't have even called the jacket an Iron Ranger but I do love it. My proposed jacket is a fantasy and I had to start somewhere. Also, that is the highest res image of a crosszip motorcycle jacket from Aero that I could find anywhere on the internet. My imagination is weak so I rely on photoshop.

As you guys have suggested, I'll soon get in contact with Carrie at Thurston Bros to see what the best route forward will be.
I suspect you could get what you are after using the standard M/C jacket as your base, and mod it as desired.

MrProper

Thanks for the clarification. Out of curiosity, how many different patterns and different collars are there that Aero currently have for your crosszip motorcycle jackets? If someone was looking to customise one, knowing which pattern block might flatter them best would be helpful. Fingers crossed more of your jackets receive detailed size guides like you helpfully provide for The Everyman. Keep up the good work!
I would like to join you on that.
I am very happy with the slim fit pattern of my Ridley and I would be interested to know what other models are based on this pattern.

Aloysius

Mate, I don't know why you're trying to argue this? The "in stock" Ridley link on their site only shows the back I just showed three pictures of (https://www.thurston-bros.com/products/copy-of-in-stock-aero-ridley?_pos=1&_sid=ad8eae89f&_ss=r), and if you look back at all the past Ridley's (35 of them) not even a quarter have that back I prefer.

Some demonstrate this variant:
View attachment 367283

And some have the cosmetic shoulder gussets.

If the one I like best were to become the "default" back I would obviously not be unhappy, but without contacting them and asking for a detailed record (and why would I ask and why would they want to check?) I can only go by information available on their website, which clearly indicates it has not be the default up until this point.

Not sure what you're on about.

The stock Ridley model these days is usually some version of this, made of Vicenza, which just about every one of the last few stock Ridleys has been. Even if you search Ridley, all but four stock models have been the belted Ridley model like the one I tried on myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff