Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero J106 as a riding jacket

I didn't catch this thread earlier on but all perfectly valid critiques, same ones I would've - And have - raised. You are lucky to have chosen the J-106 to begin with, though, as it happens to be the most usable jacket from Aero's entire Motorcycle line.

In any case, Aero will taper the sleeve openings upon request so that's something to mind whist ordering a riding jacket.

Other than that, yeah, cotton drill is very breathable which renders it fairly useless as an insulation material and you wouldn't have found any of the tartans any better. Quality quilted lining is vastly preferable for long trips, even if it means taking the jacket off for a part of the day.
I'd rather my leather jacket does one thing right!

Finally, larger main zipper is also essential on a motorcycle jacket but we've discussed this so many times already bringing it up again seems pointless. . .

99mex

New in Town
I didn't catch this thread earlier on but all perfectly valid critiques, same ones I would've - And have - raised. You are lucky to have chosen the J-106 to begin with, though, as it happens to be the most usable jacket from Aero's entire Motorcycle line.

In any case, Aero will taper the sleeve openings upon request so that's something to mind whist ordering a riding jacket.

Other than that, yeah, cotton drill is very breathable which renders it fairly useless as an insulation material and you wouldn't have found any of the tartans any better. Quality quilted lining is vastly preferable for long trips, even if it means taking the jacket off for a part of the day.
I'd rather my leather jacket does one thing right!

Finally, larger main zipper is also essential on a motorcycle jacket but we've discussed this so many times already bringing it up again seems pointless. . .
Fair enough. I haven’t been keeping up with the forum so didn’t know some of these issues have been discussed. Back when I was researching to purchase my jacket I found lots of great info here, but didn’t see anything on these issues so figured I should contribute

99mex

New in Town
EB463B69-3104-4061-8D6B-4925374A8C1A.jpeg
EB463B69-3104-4061-8D6B-4925374A8C1A.jpeg
3C475AA0-789D-475C-95D6-7A8BE721DB6E.jpeg
1B8CECC5-018E-403D-8659-A4F9DB8A5224.jpeg
3C9247FF-4786-42C1-AAB4-5AA498BF678D.jpeg
D84CDE33-CD71-4FD1-A5DC-0F9CA230BD41.jpeg
F98ABEC5-D862-4FBA-9F0B-30D60593C779.jpeg
5E0D5887-55DA-42E2-84CC-A0C8ABE3EC44.jpeg

99mex

New in Town
The real photographer in the house is working today but she said she’d take better pictures the next day we’re both home during daylight. Its kind of hard to capture the color changes

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I also like to ride with a very fun jacket that I used to call the bear. SCHOTT 184SM is a simple, not a real g-1/a-2 jacket but it is very practical for me because of the lining that can be taken out. I did change it because I wanted real sheepskin instead of the synthetic.

Old post but since uncle Photo is still around, I figured I would let you know that Schott's service department can make up a real sheep collar for your 184SM at a pretty reasonable price.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Old post but since uncle Photo is still around, I figured I would let you know that Schott's service department can make up a real sheep collar for your 184SM at a pretty reasonable price.
Why pay? When I can make one with the real deal 50s sheep skin, just as good or probably better than Schott.

Robson

Familiar Face
I've got a Highwayman with zipped sleeves, but the zip doesn't go to the end of the sleeve because of the construction of the zipper. I had a discussion about it with Aero because I expexted them to close the sleeve properly. ( now I do have a problem getting motorbike gloves over the sleeve)
I used to own a Vanson, with did not have a problem with the construction.
According to Aero they could not made the zipper closed to the end of the sleeve, witch I find strange because the Vanson steerhide is a lot more heavy than the Aero HH.
The J106 is a lovely jacket.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Simple answer… No. Aero and riding equals no go. Their whole motis operandi is to recreate vintage patterns but with stiff thick leather. While the thick leather will help you if you go down in a slide, the tight old school patterns with poor mobility might actually make you take that slide. Go with Vanson for riding and call it a day

Motocann

One Too Many
Simple answer… No. Aero and riding equals no go. Their whole motis operandi is to recreate vintage patterns but with stiff thick leather. While the thick leather will help you if you go down in a slide, the tight old school patterns with poor mobility might actually make you take that slide. Go with Vanson for riding and call it a day
Vanson makes a sturdy jacket, but their patterns and fits are very clunky.

Edward

Bartender
I put that there to hold gloves inside the jacket. Keeps the gloves a lot warmer than an outer pocket on stops so you don’t waste body heat in the winter

Excellent idea! Would never have thought of that. Was that your own innovation or did you see it on a vintage jacket? Did you add other snaps to keep the belt in place, or are they part of Aero's standard pattern? Jacket looks great.

99mex

New in Town
Excellent idea! Would never have thought of that. Was that your own innovation or did you see it on a vintage jacket? Did you add other snaps to keep the belt in place, or are they part of Aero's standard pattern? Jacket looks great.
Sorry for the late reply. I was adding snaps to keep the belt from falling and then came up with the idea of the one for the gloves. I haven’t seen it on any other jackets but I was just trying to put the gloves where I keep them with other jackets with an open inside pocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff