Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero J106

scout14j

New in Town
I have decided to order another aero. Looking at the 106 in brown.

I ordered a Flight Jacket in 48 a while back. Since then I’ve lost about 30 lbs, though not much change to my chest measurements, so it still fits pretty good.

This is for actual motorcycle use. I’ve seen some in here, and they’re sharp. Thinking to do this one in 46. Little concerned if I keep losing weight what kind of effect it will have, though the most I would still want to lose is 15-20. I like being able to lift heavy things.

Going through Thurston Bros again. They were great last time, so we’ll see how it goes.

scout14j

New in Town
Fit pics. Anyone with motorcycle experience have any insight in the sleeve length. Thinking maybe .5 inch longer. Carrie is helping and mentioned the sleeves will shrink a bit do to the leather wrinkling up a bit during break in.

Also, anyone who has one, do the zippers come in the inside of the sleeve or outside (outside preferred by me), and do the close well for wind?

Attachments

• 77045766-5EA4-4C62-ABF3-A6D0E4997AFA.jpeg
    77045766-5EA4-4C62-ABF3-A6D0E4997AFA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 571
  • 2D658903-7373-43A1-B7F9-DBDBDD89C8EF.jpeg
    2D658903-7373-43A1-B7F9-DBDBDD89C8EF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 530
  • 06BFCDBF-3F6C-4C6C-8850-2A8272A58831.jpeg
    06BFCDBF-3F6C-4C6C-8850-2A8272A58831.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 480
  • A12580A2-8679-4EF5-B89F-FC1295C1AC8C.jpeg
    A12580A2-8679-4EF5-B89F-FC1295C1AC8C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 484

Colin G

One Too Many
I could not imagine a motorcycle jacket without a bi-swing back, but that is my personal preference.

The shoulders pulling up like that would drive me nuts. I have had jackets like that and moved them on. I don't like fighting a jacket and want it to move with me and not against me. I like a bi-swing and a high arm hole.

Sit on your motorcycle with your hands on the bars and get someone to measure shoulder to wrist for you. That will give you a good idea about sleeve length.

Also, sit on your bike with the test jacket on and measure from the end of the cuff to where you think it should be at on your wrist, Just add that number to your test fit jacket's sleeve length.

I’ve had several j106’s, even a brown one. I’ve had them with a full AB and just with shoulder gussets. I love the jacket, it’s a beautiful d pocket. But...if I’m being totally honest it is not the best choice as a piece of protective riding gear (nor were the Buco model it’s based on)! To me the pattern is just a bit too restrictive. Not to say you can’t use it as such, but I just do t see it as the most functional, even if it is the best looking.
Here’s a couple pics of some of the ones I’ve owned:
Brown w/ gussets
D383DDFE-312F-4CFB-BBB0-F9F7A31E6040.jpeg
476C6432-160E-4344-91C0-882A2F99D86A.jpeg

Black full AB (sorry no back shot)
1C7BE1C1-9121-4788-993E-A6D2B0CBCA30.jpeg

I would recommend maybe going up one size if you intend to ride in it. It’s not an inherently mobile pattern. As far as the zips go you can position them as you wish. Aero allows you to move them inward or outward.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Uhm, you uploaded fit pictures of a HWM, not a J106, right? From what I know, Aeros moto jackets have insane taper from chest to waist and are super tight in the waist, very much unlike the HWM...

Zippers come whereever you want them with a custom order. On my Aero they don't close as tight as on my Vansons, but not unreasonably wide either. Think they work good enough.

edit; gotta agree with ton. idk how dedicated a rider you are, but if you plan to ride a lot in it, there may be better options than an Aero.

scout14j

New in Town
Yes, it’s a HWM. I have been advised by Carrie that it is tighter in the waste. I hope that also accounts for the shoulder movement...any experience?

I thought about going with Langlitz again...they’re a good company with great service...but I love the Aero horse and wanted to give them a shot again.

As far as protection goes, I figure the thick ass horse would be good. I also have undershirt armor if I want to put it on. I don’t really ride in rain if I have a choice (people see you even less), and anything below 40 is avoided...I like to feel my feet. Other than that I ride a lot. Better parking at work.

Yes, it’s a HWM. I have been advised by Carrie that it is tighter in the waste. I hope that also accounts for the shoulder movement...any experience?

I thought about going with Langlitz again...they’re a good company with great service...but I love the Aero horse and wanted to give them a shot again.

As far as protection goes, I figure the thick ass horse would be good. I also have undershirt armor if I want to put it on. I don’t really ride in rain if I have a choice (people see you even less), and anything below 40 is avoided...I like to feel my feet. Other than that I ride a lot. Better parking at work.
It’s a fairly tight fit through the chest and shoulders. That’s why I’d say maybe shoot up one size. Too bad TB doesn’t have a fit jacket of this type in your size. That would be the best way to get what you want out of it. Not sure you can base the j106 off a HWM. But I’m not sure. Never had a HWM. I wonder how that happened. LOL.

scout14j

New in Town
My wife said the same thing. Ain’t been hitting the gym as much as I used to due to moving either, so it could get tighter with me starting back. Thinking going with a 48 with that and the waste in mind, and wanting the ability to layer.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeh.. I'd be scared to order a j106 based on a hwm fit jacket, lol. Get a Vanson imho. No struggle with the sizing or return policy. Just order one of their motojackets, return if doesnt fit, be set for life if it does fit. I like their Dominator style; got all the features for riding but no side laces or other very bikerish features orso, so it works for off-bike wear too.

scout14j

New in Town
I’ve had several j106’s, even a brown one. I’ve had them with a full AB and just with shoulder gussets. I love the jacket, it’s a beautiful d pocket. But...if I’m being totally honest it is not the best choice as a piece of protective riding gear (nor were the Buco model it’s based on)! To me the pattern is just a bit too restrictive. Not to say you can’t use it as such, but I just do t see it as the most functional, even if it is the best looking.
Here’s a couple pics of some of the ones I’ve owned:
Brown w/ gussets
View attachment 154427 View attachment 154428
Black full AB (sorry no back shot)
View attachment 154429
I would recommend maybe going up one size if you intend to ride in it. It’s not an inherently mobile pattern. As far as the zips go you can position them as you wish. Aero allows you to move them inward or outward.

Which did you find more comfortable and less restrictive?

Which did you find more comfortable and less restrictive?
Vanson model E for me. It’s the absolute best cross zip for riding in. I took one single ride in my j106. Particularly for the seated position on my bike (monkey humping a football) it just didn’t work. Same with LW j23. Vanson just cuts the jackets right for riding. Of course this is merely my opinion.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Fit pics. Anyone with motorcycle experience have any insight in the sleeve length. Thinking maybe .5 inch longer. Carrie is helping and mentioned the sleeves will shrink a bit do to the leather wrinkling up a bit during break in.

Also, anyone who has one, do the zippers come in the inside of the sleeve or outside (outside preferred by me), and do the close well for wind?
For actually using on a bike i think you really need shoulder gussets. Otherwise if you try to have sleeves long enough to cover your wrists when your hands are on the bars the other 90% of the time off the bike they will be too big. I think that jacket is an awesome fit for you but not best for the bike.

I’ll also 4th the sentiment to get a Vanson. So great for the price and the arm mobility is like wearing a sweatshirt. In fact, i’m typing with ine on now because it’s sorta cold in the house

Last edited:

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's not really about lengthening the sleeves. It's all about the "sleeve cap, armhole, and pre-curved elbows". A more ergonomic jacket would allow more isolated arm movement, and the cuff would not ride up wherever your arm is. Vanson and Bates are the two prime examples of perfect ergonomics. Langlitz is excellent too. Buco D pocket made by Lost Worlds also, but the leather is too stiff. Schott "cheats" it by using football (and still doens't cut it lol).
Aero is unfortunately not patterned for modern mobility, it's patterned after 40s and 50s "mall/catalogue" jackets. Windward, GRAIS, Sears etc, all pretty much fit like gumby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael