Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero lining with corduroy

Plumbline

One Too Many
A very good point Edward.;)

Here's a can of worms and a hand grenade ... THE A-2 ... quite possibly the most over-rated jacket in the history of leather jackets. Not even a very well made "Bomber jacket". I "get" the wartime linkage and the historical heritage thing .. but jeez ... no decent pockets ( inside or outside), no decent warmth, 176 designs to choose from each one slightly different from the next. The G1 and M422a - although vastly superior in design - are still not particularly good jackets ( had to go up to a 46" to get an Aero M422a to even closely fit).

I've tried, I really have

Aero ( various contracts - 7 in total - all except one ebay purchases I might add ... now all sold), Eastman (3 x Roughwear 27752 - I had a bit of a Virgil Hilts replica thing going on ... agin now all sold)

It's probably sacrilige but I just don't get them ........ and yes the cuffs and waist knits are a pain.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Here's a can of worms and a hand grenade ... THE A-2 ... quite possibly the most over-rated jacket in the history of leather jackets. Not even a very well made "Bomber jacket". I "get" the wartime linkage and the historical heritage thing .. but jeez ... no decent pockets ( inside or outside), no decent warmth, 176 designs to choose from each one slightly different from the next. The G1 and M422a - although vastly superior in design - are still not particularly good jackets ( had to go up to a 46" to get an Aero M422a to even closely fit).

Aero ( various contracts - 7 in total - all except one ebay purchases I might add ... now all sold), Eastman (3 x Roughwear 27752 - I had a bit of a Virgil Hilts replica thing going on ... agin now all sold)

It's probably sacrilige but I just don't get them ........ and yes the cuffs and waist knits are a pain.

I have to say, I was kind of mystified with the A-2 thing when I first came here, but then when I looked at some of my casual fabric jackets, I noticed that they owe a lot to them design-wise. To me they seem like a good light spring/summer jacket.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Sorry I've been a bit off the radar, been swamped with post-Christmas mails still. Remind me next year 2 weeks off is a bad plan unless you want to spend the whole of January working!

We've been road testing jackets with full corduroy linings or corduroy body linings for a few months and have conculded that this is a very good idea. These will be fitted as standard in several new Aero styles due on line in April. The full cord linings don't work in all cuts, they aren't too comfortable in styles with slimmer sleeves.

Ken's doesn't really like the look of narrow corduroy hem strips in our jackets the full body lining seemed the logical progression. It's very strong, warm and authentic to the eras we replicate. Corduroy strips in original vintage jackets were virtually exclusive to those with a sheepskin body lining and were inevitably at least 6" deep. Any less just doesn't look have the same "vintage" look.

majormajor

One Too Many

Yup, not for everyone.

Personally, I do like them - worn one for 30 years! But I can understand why many folks don't get along with them.

Re the lack of pockets, I have a number of vintage denim jackets with similar specs - one or two patch pockets, but no hand warmer pockets.

So whatever you get used to, I guess.:D;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm rather fond of the tartan/cord combo, myself. Gets a lot of admiration from people who've tried my jacket on (ie, most of my office:D)

Plumbline

One Too Many
another fan of corduroy here ... my LHB and longshoreman ( both of which are fleece lined ) have half cord in the body and full in the sleeves :) ... toasty and practical :)

Panacheman

Familiar Face
ill back you on this plumbline admittedly one of my favorite jackets has more then a touch of A-2 but i cant stand the knits everywhere and the general hang of the A2. but on the general discussion of this thread corduroy lining sounds like a brilliant plan in the body at least

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sorry I've been a bit off the radar, been swamped with post-Christmas mails still. Remind me next year 2 weeks off is a bad plan unless you want to spend the whole of January working!

We've been road testing jackets with full corduroy linings or corduroy body linings for a few months and have conculded that this is a very good idea. These will be fitted as standard in several new Aero styles due on line in April. The full cord linings don't work in all cuts, they aren't too comfortable in styles with slimmer sleeves.

Ken's doesn't really like the look of narrow corduroy hem strips in our jackets the full body lining seemed the logical progression. It's very strong, warm and authentic to the eras we replicate. Corduroy strips in original vintage jackets were virtually exclusive to those with a sheepskin body lining and were inevitably at least 6" deep. Any less just doesn't look have the same "vintage" look.

I suspect that a full corduroy lining would provide a very warm, durable jacket for a LHB, Teamster, Stockman, and other longer models; and might even work on a HWM and HB models as well. However, I can also see how it might not work very well on slim fit models and not work on individuals with hands the size of footballs and arms the size of stove pipes!:D However, full corduroy lining does seem like a great idea and will look forward to seeing Aero's new launch projects this spring.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy