Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero & Lostworlds Horse Hides

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
^ Same as Ed - mild bleeding on my cordovan half-belt when new, now nothing. Other colours (brown Stewart, black CHPs) no problem.

I must say, I do enjoy this research bit when looking for a new jacket. Good luck Doritz! :)

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Kojax, I don't understand this?
John, is as tough though? O thought LW was number 1 in horsehide, sounds like Aero is as good?
Oneeyeman,I really was close on a Vanson model B and the Enfield. Does the Enfield collar flap when riding? Starting to reconsider LW and think Cafe Tracer FQHH from Aero and a Vanson Enfield.

No, the collar flap is very rigid and doesn't flap at all.
I think I could even ride with it up and it'd stay up.
But when it's down, it lies nice and flat.
Great design collar and just the right size.
Lenny

dortiz

One of the Regulars
"If you don't like the biker look which Aero do you plan on getting ?"

I meant I dont like the classic biker jacket like the Buco J23. Belt and snap down collars and short cut above the pants belt line.

I like the Aero Cafe Racer very much and LW Easy Ryder. Still MC jackets just different than that classic look. I am not sure I understand Patina.

At this point though the collar on the LW is way better for me so that may be the deciding factor. Working with Kim now at Vanson on an Enfield so its now the choice between Aero and LW.

Last edited:

I meant I dont like the classic biker jacket like the Buco J23. Belt and snap down collars and short cut above the pants belt line.

I like the Aero Cafe Racer very much and LW Easy Ryder. Still MC jackets just different than that classic look. I am not sure I understand Patina.

At this point though the collar on the LW is way better for me so that may be the deciding factor. Working with Kim now at Vanson on an Enfield so its now the choice between Aero and LW.

Patina...is 'wear' that developes a burnished look to the hide..rather than an always 'new' look.
Actually..if you are looking for a black cafe style jacket..you would probably be happy with either LW or Aero. They are both well made and top of the line. However..if you do get their regular FQHH..both are very heavy.
HD

Edward

Bartender
Re patina.... it basically is wear, but not the way you would think of as in 'worn out'. Think of it like this: a ground-up, concourse rebuild of a 56 Caddy, fresh out of the shop is like new. An all-original 56 Caddy, owned from new and lovingly maintained by its owner.... that has patina. That's how I see it, anyhow.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
@John Lever "LW uses a hide with a painted outer finish"

-Horsefeathers! I have had both Lost Worlds and Aero Grizzly jackets and I can assure you the LW one is better and does not have a "painted outer finish". This is a myth that's been running around this forum, and I don't know who started it but it's ridiculous. Both companies make excellent products. More info. about LW quality here:
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm

Last edited:

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
What I'd like to know is if Aero has just the one type of brown FQHH or a few, because the sample i was sent wasn't convincing.
Didn't like the finish, and the creasing caused the colour to fade. Can anyone say if the LW horsehide is any different?

HDRnR

A-List Customer

If I were getting a new LW I'd get the Buco Ryder, basically an Easy Ryder with a big D pocket. That pocket would come in real handy.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
What I'd like to know is if Aero has just the one type of brown FQHH or a few, because the sample i was sent wasn't convincing.
Didn't like the finish, and the creasing caused the colour to fade. Can anyone say if the LW horsehide is any different?

Both Aero and LW have very high quality leather, though they are finished very differently. LW HH is deeply dyed, whereas Aero hides have a surface finish. The Aero surface finish wears away rather quickly, and that's what caused the fading in the creases. In this respect, Aero is much more of a "painted finish" than any LW leather, though the difference is deliberate, and what you prefer is a matter of personal taste. That sort of fading cannot happen with a LW jacket because there is no thin surface dye to wear away... it's dyed MUCH more deeply. Likewise, I've never heard of a LW item where the colors bleed or stain for the same reason. A shame to say, but nearly all of the bad press about LW comes from people who have never owned one... and in all too many cases, from people who have never actually seen one. I have several jackets from both Aero and LW. Aero makes a fine jacket, but LW makes works of art. If it's not the kind of art you prefer, then by all means, shop elsewhere. You may find a jacket you like better, but it's very unlikely you can find a better jacket.

BTW, Edward, thanks for the making the point about patina. I have cringed on more than one occasion when I've seen the word mis-used here. ("Your 8 week-old Aero is already beginning to show a nice patina." Oh, please... genuine patina takes many years of regular use to develop.) I didn't want to start a lot of hoopla over word useage, but sadly, there is evident corruption of a word with significant meaning when used properly. I hope your explanation will help to correct the problem.

Last edited:
TheSnark
You have only offered your opinion..just as I have. You are sold on LW..just as I prefer Aero. I have had jackets from both makers...so I know of what I speak. LW's FQHH is so heavily dyed that it does have a 'coated' appearence more saturated with color than not only Aero..but most other makers..new or vintage. Plus their HH is quite different from Aero's in grain and the way it breaks in. It never seems to 'marble' or gain much charactor. If that's what turns a buyer on...then it is indeed a masterpiece..bulletproof..and always looks new.
However..many of us buy a leather jacket with the idea of a rich 'patina' and marbled grain developing in our lifetime ..at least. In fact..sooner the better. We want to wear it with that great charactor...rather than just getting excited about a little grain finally breaking through an indestructable heavy finish. Whether you think Aero's patina is genuine or not is of little concern. Otherwise...to many of us...these charactoristics makes Aeros FQHH as unique as LW's..but in a much different appealing way. To many of us Aero's FQHH is the work of art..and frankly...not much else comes close..unless it would be one of John Chapman's HH creations....Japanese reproductions...or vintage.
HD

Norsksea

New in Town
I received a set of samples from Aero a few weeks ago. I was interested of the FQHH brown and black and the oil pull horse. The brown FQHH was stiff and creasing it would lighten the color.
I followed the directions from post in another tread about how to soften the leather.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?53990-Breaking-in-aero-H-H
I rolled up the sample into a tight roll then rolled to again into a doughnut against the first roll. I did this in ever direction for a five minutes. The sample of the FQHH became as soft as the oil pulled leather and the brown color was even over the whole sample. I was really amazed how soft and pliable the sample became it would no longer crease just fold and move in my hands. This sold me on the brown FQHH for a bootlegger jacket I ordered a month ago.
Frank

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
TheSnark
You have only offered your opinion..just as I have. You are sold on LW..just as I prefer Aero. I have had jackets from both makers...so I know of what I speak. LW's FQHH is so heavily dyed that it does have a 'coated' appearence more saturated with color than not only Aero..but most other makers..new or vintage. Plus their HH is quite different from Aero's in grain and the way it breaks in. It never seems to 'marble' or gain much charactor. If that's what turns a buyer on...then it is indeed a masterpiece..bulletproof..and always looks new.
However..many of us buy a leather jacket with the idea of a rich 'patina' and marbled grain developing in our lifetime ..at least. In fact..sooner the better. We want to wear it with that great charactor...rather than just getting excited about a little grain finally breaking through an indestructable heavy finish. Whether you think Aero's patina is genuine or not is of little concern. Otherwise...to many of us...these charactoristics makes Aeros FQHH as unique as LW's..but in a much different appealing way. To many of us Aero's FQHH is the work of art..and frankly...not much else comes close..unless it would be one of John Chapman's HH creations....Japanese reproductions...or vintage.
HD

I did not intend to imply that Aero leather does not show grain or character quickly, or that this is a bad thing. But referring to those qualities as "patina" on a relatively new jacket is really corrupting the meaning of the word. As I said, if LW does not appeal to you, then there are other options... and good ones. I can say that I've examined both Aero and LW jackets very closely, and the quality of LW workmanship is clearly superior. Which leather and style you prefer is simply personal choice, and I certainly have no argument with whatever your preference happens to be. Personally, I prefer the grain of LW leather (a personal choice to be sure), and I'm quite happy to let time and wear take care of the rest... if it takes a long time, even better; I sort of feel like the jacket has earned it's stripes. Plenty of other people prefer Aero, and that's fine by me... but it is a bit annoying reading some of the LW bashing by people who admit to never having actually seen one. FWIW, I cannot recall you having ever bashing LW or any other manufacturer. You have stated your preferences, and I respect that.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Thanks for making the distinctions clearer. One more question if you or anyone can maybe answer re: LW HH....I've only ever seen pics of Russet brown being used. Do they offer a Seal or mid-tone brown HH in their selection? or can you request it?
cheers

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Thanks for making the distinctions clearer. One more question if you or anyone can maybe answer re: LW HH....I've only ever seen pics of Russet brown being used. Do they offer a Seal or mid-tone brown HH in their selection? or can you request it?
cheers

I honestly don't know if Seal or other brown colors are available in HH from LW. I do know they have goatskin in Seal, and the sample they sent is very nice. (I don't have a LW goatskin jacket, but I've toyed with the notion.) Perhaps someone here knows about the HH color options, or you could call and ask...

I did not intend to imply that Aero leather does not show grain or character quickly, or that this is a bad thing. But referring to those qualities as "patina" on a relatively new jacket is really corrupting the meaning of the word. As I said, if LW does not appeal to you, then there are other options... and good ones. I can say that I've examined both Aero and LW jackets very closely, and the quality of LW workmanship is clearly superior. Which leather and style you prefer is simply personal choice, and I certainly have no argument with whatever your preference happens to be. Personally, I prefer the grain of LW leather (a personal choice to be sure), and I'm quite happy to let time and wear take care of the rest... if it takes a long time, even better; I sort of feel like the jacket has earned it's stripes. Plenty of other people prefer Aero, and that's fine by me... but it is a bit annoying reading some of the LW bashing by people who admit to never having actually seen one. FWIW, I cannot recall you having ever bashing LW or any other manufacturer. You have stated your preferences, and I respect that.

I try to shy away from bashing certain makers jackets. Why belittle a jacket someone may proudly have in their possession? That is not fair at all. Why enter a thread of admiration for a certain maker to say that I just don't like what they offer compared to my preferred brand? However...when a thread opens up asking about brands that I am familar with..I do try and discribe differences. Try not to exaggerate...but explain what both offer in my opinion and experience. There are enough pics on this forum and the respective maker's sites to get some kinda of idea of what may end up being the preferred work of art. Trying to honestly discribe the features of each might help fill in the gaps. Only having one in hand,though,can tell the whole story. It can be an expensive venture..and if not mostly pleased with the result...only a disappointment on a hanger..or sold on at half the cost. I figure mentioning the differing charactoristics may help avoid that.
HD

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Just throwing in my .02 ;)

I had avoided the FQHH from Aero because of reading comments on how hard and stiff it is. People writing how they had developed bruises from wearing their jackets kind of scared me off!

As I stated on another thread, I saw a halfbelt in FQHH and decided to pull the trigger. I have had my FQHH from Aero for 2 weeks now and I am amazed on how the leather breaks in. Of course being in Seattle, it has seen it's fair share of rain. What HD says about the leather marbling and graining is absolutely true. Sure the leather is stiff in the morning, but after 5 minutes of body heat it really gets soft. Certainly a lot easier to break in than my Langlitz. Hard to convey how much the jacket has changed in a short two weeks, but you can get an idea from this picture.

IMG_1553.jpg

I have another Aero in mid-weight HH and I regret not getting the FQHH. The mid-weight is nice but after wearing it for 3 months, it shows nowhere near the character of the FQHH. It pretty much looks brand new.

side.jpg

I do understand Snark's comment on patina, but I think that HD's point was that Aero's hide/tanning process allows a patina to develop quicker than some. After all, applied patina is very common. Although distressed jackets are not my cup of tea, they do give the appearance of aging. Anyways, good luck with the jacket!

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I like my Enfield in brown HH the best. I purchased an Aero aged tan cafe in Steerhide and I am disappointed in the light weight zipper and the quality of the snap on the collar that Aero used, almost want to send it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael