Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero & Lostworlds Horse Hides

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang! what a great site. Having been sucked in by your posts I am buying some serious jackets for the long haul. Narrowed it down to Aero and Lost worlds. I bought a Fox Creek Grayson as my main rider and love it. I ride a Harley. Between the two from what I read its darn close. I am looking at Horsehide and so far love Cafe Racer / Easy rider jackets. I want a jacket i can wear on and off the bike though.
If I had to have one which one is your favorite? If I got both is it crazy to get the same kind of jacket from both? I dont like the Classic Biker look as I bought a Schott and re sold it right away. Anyone ride with a different jacket than these two and recommend that style?
Also sizing. My suit jackets are 42 but my chest is 44 and the Fox Creek at 44 fits great. Is that normal? The Schott 42 I had was too small. I assumed originally my jacket would match my suit size but now find I may need to go up.
Thanks for any input.
Cheers,
Dave

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Don't know much about Lost Worlds as I've never handled one.
I do own a FQHH Aero Horsehide jacket though which is beautiful.
Also, I've read over and over again that Aero's FQHH is the best out there.
The Lost World FQHH apparently takes forever to break in, doesn't take on as
nice a patina as the Aero, and is just too thick.
But, for my riding, I use a Vanson Enfield.
Absolutely stunning jacket which looks great both on and off the bike.
It strikes a great balance between sport bike jacket, cruiser jacket, and casual jacket.
Super thick cow hide which is breaking in beautifully, and the fit is spot on.
In a lot of ways, I like it better than my Aero.
Let us know what you decide on.
Lenny

John Lever

One Too Many
LW use a hide with a painted outer finish, Aero use a more natural looking leather. Both are very heavy and thick.
The true FQHH from Aero is just stunning.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Kojax, I don't understand this?
John, is as tough though? O thought LW was number 1 in horsehide, sounds like Aero is as good?
Oneeyeman,I really was close on a Vanson model B and the Enfield. Does the Enfield collar flap when riding? Starting to reconsider LW and think Cafe Tracer FQHH from Aero and a Vanson Enfield.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I believe both Aero and Lost Worlds source their horsehide from Horween but I've read here that the finish may be somewhat different. Try a search, sure I've read about that on here at some point in the past.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
I will have to search more tonight. Did not see that. So they are the same source? I thought I read here that Aero was a bit lighter. 3 to 3.5 versus 4.

Dortiz
I have had several LW utility jackets...and currently own around ten or so Aero jackets of different hides. I also ride a Harley from spring to fall. LW and Aero do get their FQHH from Horween...but their finish products are quite different. Where LW FQHH is heavily dyed deeply into the hide usually with a darker base coat and is quite 'bulletproof' to showing wear..or patina....Aero has a light base coat with a more translucent topcoat that offers transparency showing the charactoristics of the hide and developing patina. Aero's FQHH forms marbling grainy patterns where LW hides more often have stretch mark like grain patterns.
My new vanson 'Enfield' has become my favorite riding...and street jacket. However..it is black heavyweight steer rather than FQHH. As heavy..or almost as heavy as the hvy FQHH...but more flexible and also quite grainy. It is patterned and cut for quite comfortable MC riding. It has been my experience over 40 some years of riding ...that hvy leather doesn't have the tendancy to flap in the wind. Certainly the little Enfield collar won't.
HD

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Dortiz
I have had several LW utility jackets...and currently own around ten or so Aero jackets of different hides. I also ride a Harley from spring to fall. LW and Aero do get their FQHH from Horween...but their finish products are quite different. Where LW FQHH is heavily dyed deeply into the hide usually with a darker base coat and is quite 'bulletproof' to showing wear..or patina....Aero has a light base coat with a more translucent topcoat that offers transparency showing the charactoristics of the hide and developing patina. Aero's FQHH forms marbling grainy patterns where LW hides more often have stretch mark like grain patterns.
My new vanson 'Enfield' has become my favorite riding...and street jacket. However..it is black heavyweight steer rather than FQHH. As heavy..or almost as heavy as the hvy FQHH...but more flexible and also quite grainy. It is patterned and cut for quite comfortable MC riding. It has been my experience over 40 some years of riding ...that hvy leather doesn't have the tendancy to flap in the wind. Certainly the little Enfield collar won't.
HD
Thats exactly the feedback I was looking for and the funny thing is the Vanson is where I started. I think the Enfield is the clear winner for a collar jacket now its which Cafe Racer in Horsehide. Given the two differences you mentioned which would be your favorite? Thanks for your feedback.

I have to say, and I'll probably be banished from here for doing so, but I do not like the look of most of the LW jackets I've seen pictures of.
I'm SURE they're fantastic jackets, but to me, they look almost plasticy and the styles often make me think 1980's or something my grandpa would wear (not in a good way and not insulting my gramps)
I obviously "don't get" the LW style.
Aero, OTOH, makes me drool. I got two bags of samples, and the pictures here I see are amazing. My order will go through soon, as soon as I get the details right.
Again, not trying to sound like a hater or troublemaker. Just my honest observation after a few months here.

Thats exactly the feedback I was looking for and the funny thing is the Vanson is where I started. I think the Enfield is the clear winner for a collar jacket now its which Cafe Racer in Horsehide. Given the two differences you mentioned which would be your favorite? Thanks for your feedback.

I'm kinda picky about cafe jackets. I prefer the cafe strap type collar to sit higher than some that seem to rest lower and rounded on the neck. I also like the body length well below my belt so as not to rise up on the back when riding. As far as hide..that's a tuff one. A super heavy stiff hide can lack in comfort on long rides(I tend to put some miles on). I've had both a LW & Aero traditional style MC jacket in their FQHH for riding. 'For me"..I prefer the not so super duper heavier hides and lean toward some hides of the mostly MC jacket dedicated companies. Right now I only have two cafe style MC jackets. An older HD in steer..and a '60s era cafe jacket.
However..if I had to choose between a LW and Aero...I would probably go with Aero's 'Vintage' FQHH in the cafe style...modded to my measurements for actual riding. Their 'Vintage' hide is somewhat more broken-in and not 'quite' as heavy. Keep in mind..this is just my opinion. I'm sure others might differ.
HD

Last edited:

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Intersting because the collar was what I liked much more on the Lostworlds but I like the Aeros look better. Working on the Vanson Enfield right now ; )

Reasearch is key. Look closely at the features and hides.
Fit is most important..especially for riding. Find out what sleeve and body length that you would prefer for both riding and streetwear...then check sizing very 'closely'...I say..very closely:D
HD

HDRnR

A-List Customer
If you don't like the biker look which Aero do you plan on getting ? I have a halfbelt and I can't ride with it, its not designed for riding. The arm holes are cut too low and when your hands are up on the bars it pulls up. I also have a LW Easy Ryder which is excellent, LW horsehide is second to none. Not sure what the poster who previously said they are painted is talking about, as I have two LW's and I can tell you they are not painted. I have an Aero in cordovan and it bleeds like a stuck pig so be careful because the dye will run. If you really want the best riding jacket however just get a Langlitz and be done with it, their cowhide is the only cowhide I've seen that could be mistaken for horse and their heavy is just as or more heavier than LW or Aero. Since its designed for riding and is custom made nothing else will fit like a Langlitz.

Lets be honest about LW's FQHH. I've also owned several of their jackets. They are indeed so heavily dyed that the finish could be interpreted as a quite heavy duty type coating..thus adding to the bulletproof discriptions and possibly even discribed as a painted effect compared to other top makers. Nothing wrong with that...and...if that's to your liking..I suppose it could be considered second to none. With either company..LW/Aero..their dedicated MC jackets will be more capatible with riding than their utility jackets. I have also had two langlitz riding jackets over the years..and I agree that they are well built for riding. However..right now the Vanson 'Enfield' surpasses all of them as second to none..in my view. We all have opinions. This is mine.

Peacoat

Bartender
Lets be honest about LW's FQHH. I've also owned several of their jackets. They are indeed so heavily dyed that the finish could be interpreted as a quite heavy duty type coating..thus adding to the bulletproof discriptions and possibly even discribed as a painted effect compared to other top makers. Nothing wrong with that...and...if that's to your liking..I suppose it could be considered second to none. With either company..LW/Aero..their dedicated MC jackets will be more capatible with riding than their utility jackets. I have also had two langlitz riding jackets over the years..and I agree that they are well built for riding. However..right now the Vanson 'Enfield' surpasses all of them as second to none..in my view. We all have opinions. This is mine.

Agreed. The Vanson Enfield is my top riding jacket, as well.

Edward

Bartender
I have to say, and I'll probably be banished from here for doing so, but I do not like the look of most of the LW jackets I've seen pictures of.
I'm SURE they're fantastic jackets, but to me, they look almost plasticy and the styles often make me think 1980's or something my grandpa would wear (not in a good way and not insulting my gramps)
I obviously "don't get" the LW style.
Aero, OTOH, makes me drool. I got two bags of samples, and the pictures here I see are amazing. My order will go through soon, as soon as I get the details right.
Again, not trying to sound like a hater or troublemaker. Just my honest observation after a few months here.

Seems to me it really is a choice of finish. The comparison between them, based on whether you want 'patina' or no is probably a fair one.

If you don't like the biker look which Aero do you plan on getting ? I have a halfbelt and I can't ride with it, its not designed for riding. The arm holes are cut too low and when your hands are up on the bars it pulls up. I also have a LW Easy Ryder which is excellent, LW horsehide is second to none. Not sure what the poster who previously said they are painted is talking about, as I have two LW's and I can tell you they are not painted. I have an Aero in cordovan and it bleeds like a stuck pig so be careful because the dye will run. If you really want the best riding jacket however just get a Langlitz and be done with it, their cowhide is the only cowhide I've seen that could be mistaken for horse and their heavy is just as or more heavier than LW or Aero. Since its designed for riding and is custom made nothing else will fit like a Langlitz.

In my experience with Aero (and from what I have read from others), the 'bleeding' issue seems to be pretty much exclusive to the Cordovan finish. My Bootlegger is a cordovan FQHH; I went with it knowing this was a risk. The first few times I wore it I had issues with it coming off a bit on shirt collars, though nothing that didn't come out with the normal laundry, so it's never been a big deal. I think it's done with that now. I can well understand how some folks do find it annoying, but it's never been a significant problem to me. I've never heard of it happening with the other colours that I can recall. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart