Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Patrolman jacket

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Very cool jacket!

If it was indeed worn by a Copper shouldn’t there be a shoulder patch or stitch marks from a shoulder patch?

Regardless it’s a awesome jacket!
One would think, but there are none. It's been worn plenty, so that's a bit of a mystery. The history of the jacket would be interesting to know, but I don't know it.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Very cool jacket!

If it was indeed worn by a Copper shouldn’t there be a shoulder patch or stitch marks from a shoulder patch?

Regardless it’s a awesome jacket!

No, it necessarily. Some city departments did not where shoulder patches. LAPD did not unless they were a motor officer. They still don’t. Anyhow, I saw several of their leather patrolman jackets from the 1960’s and earlier. They had no shoulder patches. I believe that in the 70’s many LAPD patrol officers went to something of a navy blue IKe type jacket.

- Ian

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Some closeups.

The lining is in good shape.

The label is pretty cool, befitting a utilitarian work jacket such as this.

I'm pretty sure this jacket was black when new, but the topcoat has worn down to show a lot of brown undertones, and it may be that it was a dark brown to begin with.
6e3ab2ace5e674169aef116fb4ed4972.jpg
f72fefbcef2c946da5e86363f9cbf03f.jpg
c81d5d67f9ff07a9b52d819ca4f5464d.jpg
c579a0905dd4e858715a5af5b1b45e7b.jpg
4926ee288ce56dc0ff079ce985f6c413.jpg
695b73dad542fadeff34ea22ba5b1972.jpg
cacfa1f0f941932e3593c3c5b3e2aead.jpg
6a877cf16da9a95e55e4b2c4c10d4e96.jpg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The jacket has two "issues".

1) the bottom of the main zipper will not hold together. The stop box doesn't hold the pin. Most likely will be replacing the zipper if i decide to keep it.

2) this odd light spot near the left breast pocket. Looks like something bleached or removed the topcoat here. Badge polish, I wonder? I don't know if it could be retouched with some type of dye, but I plan to leave it alone.

08cb5dec113aa0891a1684013ea77db2.jpg
11548f5f08c8dd24824f6e895910defe.jpg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It fits very well. The sleeves are looser than typical for a motorcycle jacket, and the cuffs are snap closure, no zipper or gusset, and this makes me think this is not a motorcycle jacket, but rather is intended for beat cops to wear walking around.

I think it is a well made, tough, and good looking jacket.

Awesome jacket. Fit looks good for layering. Is it Connolly Steer? Lots of nice wear to it! I really like those cuffs. Sleeves look massive. Big enough to get a leg into. That does make it easy to move in though.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Awesome jacket. Fit looks good for layering. Is it Connolly Steer? Lots of nice wear to it! I really like those cuffs. Sleeves look massive. Big enough to get a leg into. That does make it easy to move in though.

No way to know for sure, but it might be Connolly. There's quite a bit of variance in the grain among the panels; I'd guess for police gear they're not so concerned about matching hides. And yeah, the sleeves are pretty baggy, a lot of room in there.

Know way to know for sure, but it might be Connolly. There's quite a bit of variance in the grain among the panels; I'd guess for police gear they're not so concerned about matching hides. And yeah, the sleeves are pretty baggy, a lot of room in there.
That's good for throwing a sweater under and still being able to move. Lately for whatever reason I find I prefer that sort of fit...maybe b/c it's cold and I want to still wear my jacket but have room to move and not to freeze in it...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
That's good for throwing a sweater under and still being able to move. Lately for whatever reason I find I prefer that sort of fit...maybe b/c it's cold and I want to still wear my jacket but have room to move and not to freeze in it...

I'm sure this will look great with a wooly pully or turtleneck underneath.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
They’re not jackets that should be made to fit too tightly considering what there intended use was.

- Ian
Not having been a police officer, I don't know why a loose fitting jacket would be a more desirable thing, other than to allow for cold weather layers. Is there more to it than that?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Not having been a police officer, I don't know why a loose fitting jacket would be a more desirable thing, other than to allow for cold weather layers. Is there more to it than that?

I have not been a police officer either, but it seems to me that a jacket allowing for more range of motion would be desirable.

- Ian

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
That one has been listed a couple times. Absolutely killer jacket. You should send the pics to Aero and see what they say about it. Even the hardware looks outside the norm.

Well, I finally got around to doing as you suggested, and here's the word, straight from Ken Calder himself:

The jacket dates from 1985 or 1986, no later.

It probably would have been made by myself

At that time there were only four machinists at Aero and we a full book of orders from three shops for “whatever we made this week”, they’d take whatever we’d offer them as the demand for Aero far outstripped the numbers we could produce.

This gave us huge scope to experiment with new styles, one range I did a lot of work on was US Police Jackets, we probably made a couple of dozen versions, this looks like one of these, it may be a one of a kind, once we expanded we narrowed the Police Jacket range down to the CHIPS and the NYPD

Enjoy the jacket, it’s a rarity

Regards

Ken

Last edited:
Home Run!! Very cool, possible one-off by the Aero man himself. You can't ever sell this, but if you decide to move it hit me up first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk