Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Patrolman jacket

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived today from a trip to Scotland.

Got the light spot touched up. (See the original photos earlier in the thread to see what I'm talking about.)

They said it wouldn't be perfect, but better than it was. I beg to differ, I can't tell there was ever spot there! They didn't even charge me for this work, for which I'm quite grateful.

I also had inquired about getting the zipper replaced, and Denny recommended against. It's a rare jacket, being possibly one of a kind, and a rare Talon zipper, apparently. The pin is difficult to get into the box, and if you don't get it all the way, it will separate from the bottom. But if you do get the pin in correctly, the zipper works fine. I plan on mostly wearing it open, because I still find it difficult to get it started properly, and I don't want to put undue stress on it.

3e54e2b345eb140ca1323ce04f8bcbc9.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived today from a trip to Scotland.

Got the light spot touched up. (See the original photos earlier in the thread to see what I'm talking about.)

They said it wouldn't be perfect, but better than it was. I beg to differ, I can't tell there was ever spot there! They didn't even charge me for this work, for which I'm quite grateful.

I also had inquired about getting the zipper replaced, and Denny recommended against. It's a rare jacket, being possibly one of a kind, and a rare Talon zipper, apparently. The pin is difficult to get into the box, and if you don't get it all the way, it will separate from the bottom. But if you do get the pin in correctly, the zipper works fine. I plan on mostly wearing it open, because I still find it difficult to get it started properly, and I don't want to put undue stress on it.

3e54e2b345eb140ca1323ce04f8bcbc9.jpg

I think they just use leather paint.
Both my black Aeros had small splits where the leather had been folded on itself and hammered down (at the wrists and shoulders for example), the biggest ones where you could really see the brown hide had been painted black to hide them.

I bought this paint to try the same thing on a similar split on the shoulder seam of my Vanson Chopper and it dried to exactly the same texture as whatever Aero used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152611760743

Very nice jacket, there is a size 42 one on ebay, if it was a 40 it would be mine...

I think they just use leather paint.
Both my black Aeros had small splits where the leather had been folded on itself and hammered down (at the wrists and shoulders for example), the biggest ones where you could really see the brown hide had been painted black to hide them.

I bought this paint to try the same thing on a similar split on the shoulder seam of my Vanson Chopper and it dried to exactly the same texture as whatever Aero used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152611760743

Very nice jacket, there is a size 42 one on ebay, if it was a 40 it would be mine...

Rather large for a tagged 42. At least one or two inches larger than each measurement of my Branded Garments NYPD. Too bad. Awesome jacket though, very fair price.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Denny provided this information about the spot touch up:

I was quite pleased with the touch up. I used a combination of leather dye, black boot polish and then “Mr Sheen”. I didn’t want to go over board and take away the original patina but yes I agree that spot was a little unsightly.

Again, much appreciated, and hat's off to Denny, Holly, and Aero for their exemplary craftsmanship and customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner