Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero pre-war Irvin or D1

03bart

New in Town
First post. I've long been a fan of Aero leather and have thought of purchasing several different Aero leather jackets over the past few years from an A2 to a Bootlegger to a Thurston Bros / Insurrection Sheene. As a lurker on the forum, the 'as worn' photos have been invaluable.

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on an Aero military shearling jacket: either a pre-war Irvin or a D1. I significantly prefer the look of the Irvin. I have read through the massive Irvin threads and threads on the D1 but wanted to go ahead and seek feedback on anything I need to be aware of pre-purchase. I'm 6'2" and wear a 42L suit coat off the rack.

Thanks!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
No doubt...no hesitation... Aero pre-war, russet, with "silver metal wear"...
Buy it 1 size larger and give it the water treatment...after drying, impossible to know wheather repro or WW2. An amazing IRVIN.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My late-period Irvin is the bee's knees. It's worn in fantastically, and has developed a fantastic authentic 'flop' drape. As Cooper says, go for a size up and it'll keep you toasty for the winter.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
There is an in stock Aero redskin D1, 44 chest 28 inch length on Aero's USAAF quartermasters store page for £575.

I would snap it up but already have a pre-war Irvin inbound.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
An Irvin is on my buy- it- down- the- road list, so I'm bit biased. Aero has that ginger shearling option, I believe, and there is something about that rakish RAF fighter pilot image that's so unique. The D-1 was essentially an enlisted ground crewman's jacket-- but the Aero reproductions are quite impressive and dressy in their own right. That said... I'd go with the Irvin.

I don't know if it's an option for you or not as to either funds or waiting time.... but the Aces High Irvins have gotten high praise in these threads for their authenticity. I'm curious as to how they stack up against Aero in categories other than authenticity: warmth, comfort, durability, etc. Perhaps someone else with first hand experience can weigh in here.

Myself... I'm a thread counter only up to a certain point: having a jacket that is really going to stand the test of time and is comfortable are higher priorities. Based upon the one Aero shearling that I already own (an ANJ-4) Aero Leathers gets an unqualified vote of confidence from me in that department.

Someone posted the D-1 redskin recently and that swayed me to that option should I ever get another jacket I can only wear 10 days a year here. All have merits, and all are personal taste. Good luck either way.

Plumbline

One Too Many
While I love the idea of an Irvine ( I've owned many ) I just never get past one major issue with them ( for me) ....... pockets ( or the lack thereof) .

The D-1 is a far more practical jacket IMHO for a number of reasons ....

1. Pockets ( for putting your hands and stuff in )
2. It has a far wider wearing window than the Irvin where I live ( obviously dependent on your location )
3. It can genuinely be worn almost into summer
4. It's neither as bulky nor as heavy

For my money the best D-1 ( at reasonable cost and delivery ) IMHO is the Eastman ( 2 piece back) variant ...... it's only downside is that the zips can be scratchy when pulling hands in and out of the pockets but it's not a major issue and could easily be resolve with some customisation.

pak

One of the Regulars
I'm kicking around the idea of a D-1 or B-6. The Irvins are really nice but the lack of pockets is a deal killer. I'm leaning to the B-6 because of the action back. Still pondering though.

Edward

Bartender
The Irvin every time. I don't use handwarmer pockets for my hands, and I keep nothing in them either (I only have them at all on any of my jackets for the look of them). The only thing I miss with an Irvin is an inside pocket, but that's the same with the D1 too.

03bart

New in Town
Myself... I'm a thread counter only up to a certain point: having a jacket that is really going to stand the test of time and is comfortable are higher priorities. Based upon the one Aero shearling that I already own (an ANJ-4) Aero Leathers gets an unqualified vote of confidence from me in that department.

I'm in the same boat, not trying to replicate just love the look of the jacket and am interested in a high quality, good looking jacket I can wear regularly through the winter with more style than my puffy and more casual than my overcoat.

The belt is really the only thing I don't *love* on the Irvin. I think I can get by without the hand warmer pockets and I don't think it will be too warm in the winter at 7000 feet in Colorado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany