Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero premier highwayman fit, unsure about the length

Peacoat

Bartender
Just to clarify the jacket in question.
This jacket was sent as a "fit" jacket. The customer in question is from memory (I don't have his exact details to hand) approx 6'4" and was concerned on fit. We sent him a jacket we had in stock that was close in measurements, this was not a custom ordered jacket and was not made to any spec. We felt that the fit looked good but if we were to make one to order the fit could be tweaked and lengths adjusted.
High Plains Drifter we have many patterns to work with some a more relaxed fit (50's pattern block or "boxy") others more fitted, premier fits, 1930's slimmer patterns, STF patterns, new Hooch Hauler etc.....We believe we have a pattern to suit all. As for lengths these are all adjustable to customer build or preferences.
If you would like do discuss your fit issues rather than start a new "profile" and on your first post air your concerns feel free to contact me and we can work with you. denny@aeroleatherclothing.com
He's a troll, Denny, don't waste your time with him. If he keeps it up, the moderators will sort him soon enough.

Edward

Bartender
Just my 2cnts. But I would not change my usual pant / fashion style to accommodate a piece of outerwear. It should be the other way around.

I can certainly see why people with no interest in the vintage look might find that a better option. Why they want to butcher a vintage design rather than go for something modern that is cut to go with a modern look is the bit I don't get! ;)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I can certainly see why people with no interest in the vintage look might find that a better option. Why they want to butcher a vintage design rather than go for something modern that is cut to go with a modern look is the bit I don't get! ;)

I still remember a day when i called IH-634 "dad jeans" in reference to the high rise, back then it made little sens to me to get jeans that would fit a specific jacket style.
Now i realize the error of my old way (i only wear IH jeans!), and see the difference in jacket fit related to pant rise, but i took a couple years to get there.
Most of us have been doing things one way for a long time, and it can take a lot to change that!
It's funny though, because i used to think that 26.5 was the shortest back length i could ever wear, and i now i just bought a jacket with a 24.5" back... High rise for the win!

Rich22

Practically Family
Why’d that post vanish? Someone replied, saying an inch doesn’t butcher a jacket, now it’s gone...

Mich486

One Too Many
It’s a tricky discussion the one about jacket lengths. There are those that are made to be worn short and those that are longer. I’m not in favour of messing around with patterns but an extra inch for the op I think won’t destroy the harmony of the jacket.

For the trousers I find the sweet spot to be a mid-rise (say 2nd half of the century 501s). Very high rise trousers as worn in the 30’s are as unflattering as extremely slow cut ones IMHO. Not everyone is up to go full vintage style as that’s quite a costumey look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
I agree! Anyone who doesn't think Aero is the tops is a troll. Look at your replies, who are the trolls?

Aero produce a very wide range of designs and fits, and they have thousands of very satisfied customers whose subjective opinions differ with your subjective opinion. BY all means, if they're not your bag nobody has the right to tell you that you are 'wrong'... equally, though, all things considered, to suggest - as your first post appeared to - that because the fit of (all?) the hundred plus different jacket models Aero produce doesn't appeal to you personally the company's skill is lacking and that their product is somehow defective is a bit silly, really. Couple that with a very negative comment about one of the more popular brands in these parts being your debut post on the forum, and that's probably what, fairly or not, got you labelled a troll. I don't myself frequent VLJ so I can't comment on any conversations you and other posters may or may not have had in those parts. If Aero isn't your bag, why not start another thread about the brands / styles you do like?

It’s a tricky discussion the one about jacket lengths. There are those that are made to be worn short and those that are longer. I’m not in favour of messing around with patterns but an extra inch for the op I think won’t destroy the harmony of the jacket.

You can't forget how obsessive TFL natives are about the smallest measurement, though.... ;) An inch probably won't be enough to affect most designs, though add two inches and you'll start to see the proportions of some models thrown off just enough that it'll look somehow wrong. With the wave of fashion jackets I've seen in a Perfecto style over the last couple of years, I've seen some real monstrosities. That's one jacket that just looks terrible with a 28" back - unless, perhaps, you're Joey Ramone.... ;)

For the trousers I find the sweet spot to be a mid-rise (say 2nd half of the century 501s). Very high rise trousers as worn in the 30’s are as unflattering as extremely slow cut ones IMHO. Not everyone is up to go full vintage style as that’s quite a costumey look.

The lovely thing about the vintage look is, of course, that we can all find something that suits us if we're looking at it style wise... TBH, though, I've never been convinced by the "too costumey" argument on going full vintage. (At least so far as we stick to the 20th century at least.) With clothes, once you get beyond dressing for protection from the elements and to avoid arrest, it's all costume. I suppose in part a lot can depend how comfortable you are standing out from the crowd (I grew into the vintage thing about twelve years ago now, but I haven't paid any mind to either mainstream fashion or what others make of how I dress since, I'd guess, about 1989, so as long as I like what I wear I've never much cared what reception it gets.)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, Mich. If you haven't already done so, you might want to check out Wrangler jeans at Cavendar's, where they go for about $20.00. Nice 15 oz. denim as well. The reason I mention them is because they were my initiation into higher-rise trousers and, since then, I've found most lower-rises really uncomfortable. They might be just the thing you're looking for. Anyway, best of luck.

Wave

New in Town
We've all learned that if it "feels" too short when new, it will go unworn and eventually end up for re-sale at a depreciated price. Better to get a jacket that feels comfortable to you...

This is what I’m afraid off, I’ll be sending it back.
Not sure if I’ll stick to the premier hwm or switch to a long half belt or plainsman to get the length I want.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Good lord, don't touch the length! This is exactly how they're meant to look - I'd argue that you could go a smidgen shorter. Any longer and you knock the proportions out - hoist your jeans, that'll fix it. Highwayman is a boxy jacket, so if you're not keen on the look - I've owned one and it didn't really work for me, so I flipped it - you're probably better with something like a Plainsman or Wayfairer, or perhaps a Dust Bowl.
I have my suspicions about who High Plains Drifter is - a troll over on the VLJ is trotting out similar nonsense. I have no idea why people like this feel the need to waste theirs and our time with this sort of nonsense.

Are we talking ‘Ole’?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy