Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero price increase! Again? (Sept,2012)

Some things are rare for a reason. ;) Yeah, I don't think they'll ever sell that at that price.... Jinkies, I know it's all subjective, but I'm not sure even the venerable Aero name could sell that at any price..... Ha.... Staff.... or customers? ;) Aero do have a long way to go before they hit the price level of some places. I know there are an awful lot of people working in the like of Saville Row who are paid fairly yet could never afford to buy their own product at retail. Heh... I remember my boss when I worked in a shop as a student, it used to rive him nuts that people would make glib comments about how much money he was making, with glib assumptions that if he sold something for a hundred quid, that was a hundred quid made.... no concept of stock outlay, overheads, staffing..... Heh. I'm not making any point here, I think, just a stream of consciousness.... long day....
Not this customer! The only thing that rubs me is that wages don't seem to be (in general) keeping up with inflation. OTOH, my company, rather then give is a COLA increase, give us a lump-sum at year's end and it's more like a "bonus". That money is usually spent on some fun things. Not sure about this year - job or fun - but the higher costs will at some stage impact sales. Not picking on Aero there - it's something that's bound to hit hard at some point when the economy - IF the economy turns around. High interest will make it feel like 1972 again :)

mattp

One of the Regulars
As I type the fields around my house in south Somerset are surrounded by sheep. Seems crazy to ship skins from the other side of the World given increased transportation costs and the higher value of the AUD.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=GBP&view=5Y

Besides the bigger Aussie hides, I remember Will mentioning something to me about the sheep having tougher skins if they'd spent more time in the sun, and having spent the last 9 months in the UK I can vouch for the fact the Aussie sheep would certainly be ahead in the sunlight stakes!!

Anyway I'll have to get my Highwayman/Rocker order in this month, I still think they'll be well priced for what you get though.

Cheers,
Matt

Besides the bigger Aussie hides, I remember Will mentioning something to me about the sheep having tougher skins if they'd spent more time in the sun...Cheers,Matt
INDEED!! lol
overcooked-sun-tan.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thanks for the 'Heads Up' guys.... Good thing I placed my order already... Will check with Amanda.
This better be the 'one'.... ;)

^^^Jeez, that might be good for the arm reinforcement of a B3!

Interesting point about hides re: British vs Australian. My one major issue with many repro Irvins is that the hides were just never "right" - fleece length, fleece colour, the feel, tightness of the hairs. Now his could be down to the sheep used or the tanning, but maybe British vs non-British breeds might be at the root of the problem.

Food for thought …

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
To be honest, given the incredible customer-service, I would always choose Aeroleather. When I'm thinking about a jacket that's really worth it, then that it is. Period.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I'll pay more for items made in the USA, Scotland, etc. and with hides from the same sorts of legitimate sources now. At some point, I see countries with less attention to animal rights raising animals for hides. China would be my guess to start this if they use up/buy up all the hides on the open market today.
I'd rather my money go to a company like GW, Aero, etc. than some sweat shop that infringes on trademarks and could care less about workers and animals or what they do to make a buck. And before I get hammered for that, yes, I realize businesses here and elsewhere have a history of shady practices too - but we've improved a lot, and playing by the rules only hobbles us in this new world economy. Time to get the claws out and protect businesses against the Chinese ripoff machine.

I completely agree and would add that there are a lot of companies based out of the U.S. that use Chinese (dare I say sweatshops) to make there "high end" crap and stick the majority of folks here with the same or near pricing that Aero and LW charge. Just look at the latest Orvis, Filson, RL, etc catalog and it is easy to see the garbage thrust on us. What blows me away is if Stuart and Aero can make a decent profit making their jackets with decent crafts people why the hell can't they? Oh yeah those companies are owned by investment corporations that use money they borrow from banks to manufacture their garments in countries where the labor is so cheap no one gives a damn what they turn out.....yeah that's the ticket.

I completely agree and would add that there are a lot of companies based out of the U.S. that use Chinese (dare I say sweatshops) to make there "high end" crap and stick the majority of folks here with the same or near pricing that Aero and LW charge. Just look at the latest Orvis, Filson, RL, etc catalog and it is easy to see the garbage thrust on us. What blows me away is if Stuart and Aero can make a decent profit making their jackets with decent crafts people why the hell can't they? Oh yeah those companies are owned by investment corporations that use money they borrow from banks to manufacture their garments in countries where the labor is so cheap no one gives a damn what they turn out.....yeah that's the ticket.
Agree, x2 Wilbur. Funny you mention Orvis - I went in there last year and pitched a fit to the manager. Told him he had nerve to sell "American" clothing (they do their best to make it look like it is) at luxury prices while making it in China. I said I will never buy any of it, and walked out. It's ridiculous, and I don't believe that it can't be done. But that's OK. I'll give my money to those places that still have what I want in a product AND company.

D

Deleted member 16736

Let's be clear about why the price of horsehide jackets are going up. It's not Chinese competition or ridiculous government pension schemes. Those things are factors, but the real reason prices are going up is because of inflation. Central Banks around the world, including the Bank of England, are printing too much money, and it's increasing the price of raw materials and energy, which translate directly into higher prices for finished goods. If we want prices to stabilize ever again, we will take away the printing press -- in England and elsewhere -- and return to some form of gold standard. I don't mean to make a political statement, but the real culprit here must be identified so that we don't imprison the wrong one.

Let's be clear about why the price of horsehide jackets are going up. It's not Chinese competition or ridiculous government pension schemes. Those things are factors, but the real reason prices are going up is because of inflation. Central Banks around the world, including the Bank of England, are printing too much money, and it's increasing the price of raw materials and energy, which translate directly into higher prices for finished goods. If we want prices to stabilize ever again, we will take away the printing press -- in England and elsewhere -- and return to some form of gold standard. I don't mean to make a political statement, but the real culprit here must be identified so that we don't imprison the wrong one.
I'm mad at 'em for enough other, valid reasons, so it won't matter lol

oneterrifichog

Practically Family

Hey don't take away my printing presses I make a lot of money with them! Just kidding I know what you mean... It's just us damn printers....that are causing it all....I'm making me feel guilty now hmmm I think I will go out and assuage my guilt and buy another jacket!!

D

Deleted member 16736

Spoken like a true counterfeiter. Hey, you have a career as a Central Banker!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Spoken like a true counterfeiter. Hey, you have a career as a Central Banker!

Nope just in printing for the last 40 years. Someone did try to get me to counterfeit some Stones tickets once back in the late 70's but couldn't be done as they were on the cutting edge of counterfeit prevention. If memory serves me correct the Stones were using holographic images etc. even then.

Nope just in printing for the last 40 years. Someone did try to get me to counterfeit some Stones tickets once back in the late 70's but couldn't be done as they were on the cutting edge of counterfeit prevention. If memory serves me correct the Stones were using holographic images etc. even then.
Oh, I thought you were going to say they used color ink or something lol

The difference, of course, is in profit margin. You can still make a profit making things locally, but the margin is much smaller. If your company is a subsidiary of some corporate behemoth demanding a 25% profit margin to keep the share price healthy (so those "knowledgable" in the "market" don't get "jittery"), you have to make those ends meet - or keep as far apart actually - and outsource.

This is, sadly, a basic problem (or a basic normal reality, depending on your worldview) of how our economy and entire system work. It affects all businesses, and they choose to engage with the system and outsource or accept smaller profit margins.

bk

Last edited:
The difference, of course, is in profit margin. You can still make a profit making things locally, but the margin is much smaller. If your company is a subsidiary of some corporate behemoth demanding a 25% profit margin to keep the share price healthy (so those "knowledgable" in the "market" don't get "jittery"), you have to make those ends meet - or keep as far apart actually - and outsource.This is, sadly, a basic problem (or a basic normal reality, depending on your worldview) of how our economy and entire system work. It affects all businesses, and they choose to engage with the system and outsource or accept smaller profit margins.bk
No doubt what you say is true. That may be the issue. I reckon there was a time where making a good living, providing jobs, and being happy were enough. Now that everyone wants to live like Donald Trump, we've lost that (almost). To me, I dream of a life owning a small business like Good Wear or Aero and doing all the things right. At some point, we either are happy to live a little simpler and be happy, or end up like some futuristic movie where we're all nothing more than mindless unhappy, unfulfilled drones. We're on our way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner