Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Seven fit check

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
I got this Aero Seven in brown CXL from Carrie at Thurston Bros. It is gorgeous, of course. The smell is amazing.

But I’m not sure it fits me right. The sleeves feel too short to me, just a bit, and the shoulders too narrow. Again, just a tick too small.

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

What do you think? Carrie suggested I take a hot bath in it and let it dry out on my body. But I don’t want to do any damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71

Psant25

One Too Many
For me if sleeves feel too short I cannot let that go and it will continue to bother me. your sleeves look too short imo. Shoulders look good, but I feel that to be subjective and your call. i like a looser jacket I can move in. TB has great service, but I got talked into a couple jackets that just were too small/tight for me early on. I would go with your gut.

Al 916

One Too Many
I think you may be right, however it depends upon how you want to wear it.
These are designed to be fitted and would you wear it zipped?

Also try it with the sleeve zip closed (and maybe give it time to loosen to your shape (I think Carrie likely knows her business) or return it...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Fit looks quite good imo.

The restrictive feeling would be because of the CXL leather. Going up one full size will solve it but the fit might look off. When I ordered my Seven I asked for widened shoulder as a customize option. This option basically went up half a size and kept the same fit look wise but more comfortable in range of motion. I would really suggest this especially for CXL leather.

Mark

Practically Family
Sleeves look spot on to me. Hate sleeves that come half way down your hands! The fit looks over-all great but it's you that are wearing it and will know best. Does this leather give a little over time? Most leathers seem to.

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
I guess I’ll just try and wear the sht out of it for a few months, and then circle back to the soaking idea. I, too, had thought it would stretch a bit over time, but I’ve read this CXL horsehide stretches 0.0%

jglf

A-List Customer
For me, the sleeves are too short but that’s subjective on how you long you like them. It will look better once you zipper the sleeves up all of the way. Jacket looks a little tight but should fit better once molded. I personally don’t like tight fitting leather jackets in the shoulder area.

Observe

Practically Family
Sleeves are within my range of tolerance based on your pics, but it's hard to say for sure just from your poses in these photos. Your posture looks a little unnatural, arms stuck out a bit, likely because you're trying to show us the areas you're concerned about.

Do you find the sleeves ride up too much when doing daily tasks like driving, lifting objects, etc? Have you tried the sleeve zippers in different configurations? I find I usually want my zip sleeves fully zipped or unzipped. Yours are in that awkward middle area where the sleeve is snug to your forearm but flares out towards the wrist/cuff, and I think this has the effect of making the sleeve seem a bit shorter than it actually is. It could also just be the stiffness of the new cxl, stuff has more wax in it than a candle store.

Are you wearing a short or long sleeve shirt here? I don't see any sleeve poking out from under the jacket, so if you're wearing a long sleeve shirt your jacket must be long enough to cover it up, which is to me an indicator of sufficient length.

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
The sleeves are only a bit too short when I’m driving, not sure how riding a motorcycle will work yet, but they seem to stay a pretty consistent length. I just wish they were an inch longer.

I’m not sure about the shoulders. They look too narrow to me, but everyone here seems to think they’re ok.

If you want to know more about soaking, I can help.
The sleeves will get shorter with wear as they form creases. Our European friends like them this length, but I tend to like mine longer- If you can return it before you wear it too much, I would…
I had a Seven and while it is a cool jacket, it can be uncomfortable- especially in CXL. The shoulders look fine, but look and feel are two different things. Mine had slightly wider shoulders than I usually get, but the high armholes dug into my pits.

Last edited:

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
If you want to know more about soaking, I can help.
The sleeves will get shorter with wear as they form creases. Our European friends like them this length, but I tend to like mine longer- If you can return it before you wear it too much, I would…
I had a Seven and while it is a cool jacket, it can be uncomfortable- especially in CXL. The shoulders look fine, but look and feel are two different things. Mine had slightly wider shoulders than I usually get, but the high armholes dug into my pits.

x2 on the concerns for the pits.

On the Seven, they are close and tight. If the shoulders feel too narrow, I imagine this may be an issue for you.

I would go custom and add around .5 -.75 to the sleeves and maybe .50 in the shoulder if it feels tight.

My Vicenza Seven has taken 2 years of moderate wear to reach the point it has molded well. I can imagine it would be years for CXL to do the same without the bath treatment.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Definitely an inch short. Return if you can!

Board Racer (seven is collared version of BR). I have realized this model is generally too tight in the right size. Probably because of higher armpits. Not a very comfortable pattern

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You have read it before: If it feels too tight, it IS too tight.

The BR pattern has super high armholes. This combined with ever so narrow shoulders really is game-over as the sleeves won´t ride up to get more shoulder room. No amount of break-in is going to help with that.

Sleeves are a matter of preference and do not look off. I would personally prefer half an inch more but I have one or two jackets with shorter sleeves that I simply live with.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
You do look uncomfortable/awkward in some of those photos hehe. Might just be the angle or conscious pose.
Is it a custom or a stock? How easy is it to return / switch up?
I would return.
Sleeves tend to become even shorter with wear - if they seem a bit too short new then it will only get worse.
Shoulders being/feeling to narrow is also very annoying - you'll feel it all the time (unless you get used to it).
Also what you are wearing underneath is as thin as it gets - seems like you have absolutely no chance in terms of layering, but it's okay if that's what you're going for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ