Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Prince

Familiar Face
bobjones said:
To say that a repro cannot be as good as an original, that's yours opinion, and many people here like me prefer a clean, new 99.99% accurate repro with a new lining, leather shell, etc., over a very old jacket that might smell or not up to taking a beating any longer - and as said above, better suited for showing, not wearing.

Indeed - it rather depends on one's priorities. I love period styling but tend to prioritise good quality leather and workmanship over the notion of exact authenticity. I have my fetishes but that's not one of them!

In response to the original question, I have a black steerhide cafe racer from Aero and it's one of my favourite jackets. It's more matt than horsehide and more even in terms of grain, so tends to look newer for longer rather than wearing in the distinctive creased way of Aero FQHH. It's not as stiff, and works well for styles like the cafe racer, which are supposed to mould fairly closely to one's body.

I'll try to get some pics sometime soon.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
BP or anybody else out there willing to sport your fav Aero be it steer or fqhh would be greatly appreciated. Especially with you in it. If you could put your measurements and how it fits on you as well. Don't want still anybodies thread; but since we are all here... I ask since an Aero is my next jacket (already own 2 LW, USA, 2 Wested's and JC A-2) and I am leaning towards LHB in steer or fqhh. Thanx and sorry again for stealing your thread.

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
davyjones007 said:
BP or anybody else out there willing to sport your fav Aero be it steer or fqhh would be greatly appreciated. Especially with you in it. If you could put your measurements and how it fits on you as well. Don't want still anybodies thread; but since we are all here... I ask since an Aero is my next jacket (already own 2 LW, USA, 2 Wested's and JC A-2) and I am leaning towards LHB in steer or fqhh. Thanx and sorry again for stealing your thread.

I have six Aero`s in FQHH, far as I`m concerned the best leather on the market hands down.This photo is an A-2 15142 contract with private label in brown 4 oz.FQHH About 4 years old.

PictureRoughWear246.jpg

PictureRoughWear243.jpg

This A-2 from Aero is called there shaved 3 oz.FQHH tough as nails and very light.This photo was taken 2 years ago when new,now it`s got a beautiful patina developing all over.

LostWorlds018.jpg

LostWorlds019.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've never worn a leather jacket: everyone else had one when I was younger, so I thought I'd not bother, and I've only recently thought of getting one.

I'm considering whether to get an Aero Barnstormer or Long Half-Belt.

Returning briefly to the core of the original post, would a leather jacket beginner like me find a horsehide jacket too difficult/tough/heavy to get used to?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some beautiful jackets pictured here, gents. :eusa_clap I love my Aero Halfbelt, FQHH, what a jacket!

Anyway, to answer your question Creeping Past, personally I would recommend you go for steerhide first if you're not used to wearing leather jackets. I bought my first leather motorcycle jacket (steerhide) when I was 16, so I was well used to wearing steerhide by the time I bought my Aero horsehide jacket at 35. I love the horse, but it is quite stiff and heavy and might feel uncomfortable for a beginner to get used to.

That's just what I think, anyhow!

Longshanks

New in Town
Creeping Past said:
I've never worn a leather jacket: everyone else had one when I was younger, so I thought I'd not bother, and I've only recently thought of getting one.

Interesting post: I grew up in London and had the notion that leather jackets were confined to the biker lads. Last year it occurred to me that I might be able to find a leather jacket I actually liked, made to fit me. I've bought a few on eBay, which can be a very cheap introduction to leather jackets, and have ended up with a couple that I quite like. And of course I peruse this very useful bulletin board quite a bit.

Edward

Bartender
Todd M. said:

I like the Chinese lucky coins - a nod to the American Volunteers? I picked up a few of those myself when I was over there a couple of weeks ago, and have toyed with making a watch fob with them myself.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
those are some great looking jackets. thanx again for posting them. the Chinese coins look alot like Japanese 5 yen coins. they are good luck here too.

Peacoat

Bartender
Getting a horsehide was not an option for me. My wife would not allow a dead horse in the house--we have Thoroughbreds. Amanda said the steerhide and horsehide, both tan chromed, were indistinguishable. The steerhide was much easier to break in and has been a excellent jacket. See the picture below after about a year and well after break in.

Highwayman002.jpg

Burnsie

Peacoat said:
Getting a horsehide was not an option for me.

Of course Aero sources American hides from what I understand, and killing horses for their hides has been illegal here since the 50's making Aero jackets "natural death" horse...don't know if that helps! Either way you have a terrific looking jacket!

RudyN

One of the Regulars
My first A2 is HH and so far the feel of the leather hasn't bothered me at all. It is not the most authentic A2 (US Wings) but it is what I could afford and the time. I am saving up for a GoodWear Leather A2 though.

Rufus

Practically Family
Aero's HHs are beautiful when broken in, and buttery soft.

Most new leather jackets will have an inherent stiffness, but you'll still need to break in a steerhide... unless it's a dead el cheapo one (belly hide 'mall' jackets) and these tend to be a lot of peoples first jackets.

if you've got the budget, and you know what you want get HH, it's tough, beautiful and lasts a lifetime.

Aero very helpfully will send you FREE hide samples... use this service, it's invaluable!

:) Ruf

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
meMoReeeeeeeZ...

Originally Posted by Stonesfan
Well, lets see...about 7 years of constant collecting coupled with about 5 new purchases from Aero to include, several A-2s, an AN-6552, 2 M-422As and various used models from eBay. They all left me with the cold reality that they couldn't reproduce an A-2 if it was genetically possible and had a petri dish. Neither can the Asians for that matter, nor Stu, nor Gary....All inferior makers out to make a Buck, Euro, Yen or Pound....The newbe in the business is JC (John Chapman) for those of you who don't know who he is, he makes basement A-2 said to rival the likes of top manufactures (Touted by his loyal customers I may add) or groupies, if you would like to call them that. I wouldn't buy one nor would he sell one to me I don't believe. Let's all get real, a repro is a repro, all inferior and will never have what an original has. For al all care you can throw your money away an any of them, but real collectors collect the real thing, not Memorex.

i had a girlfriend i lost many years ago...spent 20 years pining over her, wondering what would have been had i been man enough to commit...all that stuff...

then one night in acting class i did the jerry maguire monologue about nothing mattering unless you have that one special woman there with you to share it...when i got home there was a message on the answering machine oddly enough...after 15 years jeannie had called me, wanted to get together...

of course we did...and i realized i still couldn't commit to her...it just wasn't meant to be...as much as i loved her...

so i moved on...

as to this thing about eXXXXXXXXXact repros of the mYthicaL a-2 jackets of the second world war...have cher slap you in the head and say, "get oVer it"

ain't no more ww2 a-2s being made...

a repro is not a ww2 a-2, yeah, and no other girL will ever be jeannie...but it wasn't meant to be...and you weren't an airman in ww2 so you aren't able to have an original...unless you buy one on ebay that's 60 years old and all ratted up like a dessicated monkey's cLaw

so...GETToVERiTTTTT!

learn to enjoy the stuff people are making today in tribute, or fugggetaBout it...ww2 ain't coming back...

johnnyjohnny

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
a horse is a HorSe of course of courSe...

Getting a horsehide was not an option for me. My wife would not allow a dead horse in the house

to restate what has been stated above, yes, aero uses u.s. horsehide, which has for a number of years been prohibited from being from slaughtered or killed horses (a la 'the misfits' petfood horses, or slaughtered mustangs, etc...not allowed no more)

they are what is called 'natural death horses'...

believe me, the steer jacket you have wasn't from no 'natural death steer'...that thing was killed for it's hide, or meat, or both...

i have a number of horsehide jackets made from u.s. horse leather after the congressional ban on u.s. horsehide being other than 'natural death' horses...i personally feel it's a way of honouring an animal, to keep it alive in something you love and respect, especially if that animal in no way died to make that item...i feel much better about horsehide jackets than i do about getting a new goatskin a-2 or g-1, which i may never do again (plenty of used ones out there)...but i will definitely get jackets made with natural death u.s. horsehides...the fact that i pay more for such an item is a pleasure, and an honour...

so don't be afraid of that aero horsehide...

Edward

Bartender
Burnsie said:
Of course Aero sources American hides from what I understand, and killing horses for their hides has been illegal here since the 50's making Aero jackets "natural death" horse...don't know if that helps! Either way you have a terrific looking jacket!

This is great to know. I'm no vegetarian, and for me one of the attractions with cowhide is that (at least in theory - I know it's not always so) the leather is a by-product of the meat industry, so I' making more use of the animal resource by wearing it as well as eating it. Less wastage - makes logical sense to me. Occasionally been a little troubled about using horse as I don't eat 'em.... great to know that 'natural death' horsehide is out there. Horse don't need that skin no more - why waste it? (I'd be as happy for someone to wear an Edwardskin A2 once I'm gone... :p lol ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran