Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjbaal

New in Town
Does anyone have an Aero Jacket in Steerhide? I'm wondering how it compares to Aero's horsehide. I'm thinking of of getting an Aero Mariner and based on previous posts Steerhide might be more correct for that coat. In photos the Steerhide seems to have more of a matte finish which I like. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance

Graemsay

Practically Family
I haven't seen a steerhide Aero, but the oil pull leather has a matt finish to it. It's somewhat different to the other hides they use.

Ask the factory for some samples. :)

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
This is my Aero A2 in Steerhide.

This leather is very thick as can be seen on the epaulet seam.

Although thick leather, it is soft and also tough, it’s a great jacket.

Its feels much warmer than my Horsehide a2s which means it has become a jacket that I wear in the winter for work.

I bought it last year as it was on special offer at £200. As such I don’t know if it is same Steerhide as they use now?

James

Oh and yes, it does have a more matte finish than Horse.

Burnsie

jamespibworth@n said:
This is my Aero A2 in Steerhide.

I bought it last year as it was on special offer at £200. As such I don’t know if it is same Steerhide as they use now?

James

Oh and yes, it does have a more matte finish than Horse.

Is this their "limited edition" chocolate brown steerhide? I had this jacket and from what I remember they had gotten the hide from a furniture company that had gone out of business (hence the "limited" run) - it was thicker than horse but also less stiff, and I do recall it was less shiny than horse. Mine was a bit large and I ended up selling it.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Stonesfan said:
Sorry, Aero does not make accurate reproductions, IMO they are an inferior repro company. a waste of money.:(

Not everyone needs a stitch-for-stitch reproduction of an A-2 jacket. I think some AAC/AAF vets would think that some people are a little too anal retentive about such matters. Most who buy a reproduction jacket today, no matter how accurate, didn't wear one during WWII. Remember, original jackets are just representations of what the original wearer went through, not a substitute for it.

NH

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I have debating about getting Aero's LHB in either steerhide or horsehide. That A-2 steerhide looks really nice. It is also the difference of 50 or 60 pounds or over $100 USD.

Aero utility jackets are great jackets...as well as their A-2s. I prefer Aero's FQHH to steer(I have both)on a utility jacket. The steer on one of my HalfBelts is antique steer(pic below).
My three Aero A-2s are all HH. Here's a few pics...
The Highwayman is FQHH.
100_0449.jpg

30cf1.jpg

46932.jpg

100_0410.jpg

100_0411.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
Aero make exceptionally good jackets. I'd go more for their MC or Utility stuff, as it's great, tough and functional.

What I like most about doing business with Aero is their willingness to discuss your specific requests, and their ability and option to deviate from their standard jacket design and detailing. (a practice I wish more expensive High end jacket makers would pursue)

I've had a couple of custom jackets made up, and I'm about to order another.

I now some A2 'purists' sniff at particular details of their military jackets, but all Aero jackets are made tough, and to last (and they do!!).
I'm quite sure any USAAF crew would've been happy to don a modern Aero! ;-)

I've had one Aero MC in black steerhide, but I sold it on. It was a great jacket, but personally if I'm spending that much money, I'll get horsehide!

Good luck, and happy ordering!

Stonesfan

Suspended
ethanedwards said:
What experience did you have that led to this conclusion?

Well, lets see...about 7 years of constant collecting coupled with about 5 new purchases from Aero to include, several A-2s, an AN-6552, 2 M-422As and various used models from eBay. They all left me with the cold reality that they couldn't reproduce an A-2 if it was genetically possible and had a petri dish. Neither can the Asians for that matter, nor Stu, nor Gary....All inferior makers out to make a Buck, Euro, Yen or Pound....The newbe in the business is JC (John Chapman) for those of you who don't know who he is, he makes basement A-2 said to rival the likes of top manufactures (Touted by his loyal customers I may add) or groupies, if you would like to call them that. I wouldn't buy one nor would he sell one to me I don't believe. Let's all get real, a repro is a repro, all inferior and will never have what an original has. For al all care you can throw your money away an any of them, but real collectors collect the real thing, not Memorex.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Apples and Oranges

Stonesfan:

Not all of us can afford nor want to wear original WWII era jackets. Personally, I'll take a repro any day over an original - I'm really tough on jackets and wouldn't want to destroy a historical piece of clothing.

For collectors like yourself, originals are the pinnacle but for me, reproductions are what I need. I'm sorry to take this thread further off topic...

Noel

Stonesfan said:
Well, lets see...about 7 years of constant collecting coupled with about 5 new purchases from Aero to include, several A-2s, an AN-6552, 2 M-422As and various used models from eBay. They all left me with the cold reality that they couldn't reproduce an A-2 if it was genetically possible and had a petri dish. Neither can the Asians for that matter, nor Stu, nor Gary....All inferior makers out to make a Buck, Euro, Yen or Pound....The newbe in the business is JC (John Chapman) for those of you who don't know who he is, he makes basement A-2 said to rival the likes of top manufactures (Touted by his loyal customers I may add) or groupies, if you would like to call them that. I wouldn't buy one nor would he sell one to me I don't believe. Let's all get real, a repro is a repro, all inferior and will never have what an original has. For al all care you can throw your money away an any of them, but real collectors collect the real thing, not Memorex.

Well..how bout you! A thread about Aero utility jackets and steer with pics as examples...gets an elite observation about something else entirely.
You wear your originals(I've got some!)...I'll wear my repros as well.
Throwing money away...?...only a matter of opinion...nothing more.
HD

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero hides

Getting back to the question Aero hh or steer you will not go wrong with either. If you see yourself giving the jacket hard wear for 10+, years go for the chrome tan fqhh. Like most of us, the jacket might get worn a dozen times a year only to be traded of for the next must have jacket, than chrome tan steer will be more comfortable, and break in quicker. Do not forget Aero gets some good goat or mid weight or A2 weight hh.

jon

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Stonesfan said:

Oh good, a bright shining light to darken our miserable self-imposed repro gloom..........I wonder if you always bite on something 5 times to find out whether you like it or not? And such a discerning palette too.......

fishmeok

Vendor
I had an Aero A-2 in steerhide for a while (before it went off to fund another perchase:) ) very tough, very well made. I wouldn't wear a regular A-2 on my bike, but I would the Aero, if that tells you anything. Good company, good people to deal with. Plus the bargain pages have some excellent deals.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN1297.jpg

Paden

Vendor
Stonesfan said:

If I were you, I stopped buying AERO after the first jacket.:p

bobjones

A-List Customer
Stonesfan said:

Comments like this tic me off, and I'm in a good mood, so I won't light you up like I should.

If wearing an almost 70-year old jacket is your thing, good for you, but frankly, I don't give a care about your opinion, especially when presented in this awful manner.

Aero makes the best leather jacket I have ever seen, and after spending the last 2 years reviewing literally hundreds, if not thousands of other company's jackets before buying, I stand by that statement. By best I mean durability, seams, overall toughness, and styling, but those are just my opinions.

To say that a repro cannot be as good as an original, that's yours opinion, and many people here like me prefer a clean, new 99.99% accurate repro with a new lining, leather shell, etc., over a very old jacket that might smell or not up to taking a beating any longer - and as said above, better suited for showing, not wearing.

With that attitude, you won't find many friends here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran