Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member, starting up a crazy JL 6oz leather jacket order

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Hello all, been lurking here for quite awhile, figured it was time to make a post and introduce myself.

Currently I have a Schott Perfecto P693, an LW Test in heavy HH, and an Aero 30s Halfbelt in CXL steerhide.

Thanks to this forum, I have developed an itch that I have yet to scratch. Reading through some older posts here, ive been wanting a ridiculously heavy, 10+ lb leather jacket.

I contacted Johnson Leathers this week and got my order started. Its going to be based off their del-66, in a 6oz brown CXL steerhide. Leathers already ordered.
JL has been awesome sofar, im excited for the process and to see how this ends up.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
wow!

6oz CXL is a lot. But Steerhide can work. I had a 5oz CXL SH Barneveld Remix, it was already a lot. 6oz Del-66 is gonna be a beast!

Can’t wait to see this. Just wow. I thought I was over thick leather, but the idea of it keeps pulling me back in…

Emphasis

New in Town
Is your Lost Worlds 4oz plus? I'm curious what exactly made you want to go for the 6oz.

I'm guessing you really liked the Lost Words and got the itch to go even heavier.

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
The Schott jacket has a nice heft, which surprised me and got me on the road to wanting a heavier jacket.

Then reading threads here about heavy jackets. The LW is in a 4oz+ HH, but im a size 42, and that and the Aero are both under 6lbs on the scale.

Its just been nagging at me, wanting to hit that 10lb mark, even if it isnt the most practical. Then I was reading about JL and some of the crazy projects theyve taken on to include 7oz+ bison? jackets, and had to give them a call. Damon has been awesome!

Hes going to send me a sample of the 6oz CXL when they get it in a couple weeks, and I will share it here!

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
Did you read through a thread of someone wanted a 5-6oz jacket with JL which didn’t happen?

It hope your project isn’t a cliffhanger like that thread. Looking forward to the project?

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Did you read through a thread of someone wanted a 5-6oz jacket with JL which didn’t happen?

It hope your project isn’t a cliffhanger like that thread. Looking forward to the project?
Yes I did. But im keeping faith! I have full confidence in their ability after talking to them. Theyll be skiving the edges for mine, whatever they need to get it to work.

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
I’m looking forward to your updates. I’ve been eyeing on the shrunken bison leather, and it’s a thick hide, so I have only been doing research.

One thing to keep in mind about thick leather is that it’s not very pliable, so even when the edges are skived down, the panel itself is still tough to work with, which making it looks like cardboards.

You can look around for Y’2 bullhide anniversary jacket. It’s an example of thick leather jacket.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This thread keep pulling me here…

Most thick leather is not gonna be that pliable. But if you’re ok with your 4oz+ LW then 6oz CXL SH (warmed up) can be tolerable.

If you like your Schott which I googled, is made from Horween Dearborn SH, 3.5oz. Dearborn also comes in 6oz thickness. It’s got a stuffing so in theory it could be as heavy as CXL at the same 6oz thickness but more pliable. if your Schott jacket weighs close to 6 lbs now, then in theory a jacket made from the same Dearborn hide but 6oz thick should get you over 10lbs and still wearable.

I’ve got a few heavy jackets, softer hides are easier to wear, like heavy weighted blanket. I haven’t broke the 10lb mark myself, most of my thick ones are only about 8lbs to 9lbs but they’re only 5oz,, not 6oz.

The Y2 bullhide is also a beast, one member here’s got one, check the daily wear thread.

10lbs….

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
I havent seen that one yet, going to look it up.
At this point I really just want to scratch this itch, and im more than prepared to do my part in getting it broken in
Damon did say there will be some variation in the hide thickness, but I think it will be close.
Looking forward to seeing the leather sample. Ultimately im the one asking for this, so if it ends up being completely impractical, I only have myself to blame
But its one of those things, I just HAVE to know for myself.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The perimeter areas of the hide will be a bit thinner I suppose, but the back bend is quite consistent so is the front half quarter. Horween is high quality stuff. JL is pretty good at cutting and matching. Check out the sample hide they send you. I think firmness or the lack of will be the key here, as it directly impacts wearing comfort. Can’t wait to see this jacket! You’ve got me back on the heavyweight train. Haha.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Here’s The Bull.

A good example that thick doesn’t need to equate impractical. The leather has already softened up considerably and works reasonably well as a daily driver.
Mind you, it will never behave like a 1,3 mm jacket the same way a winter wetsuit will never wear like a pair of boardshorts.

Fit is key with an item like this. You will need a pattern with a good range of motion to begin with, and then you will need to absolutely nail the fit.

IMG_7620.jpeg
IMG_7502.jpeg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello all, been lurking here for quite awhile, figured it was time to make a post and introduce myself.

Currently I have a Schott Perfecto P693, an LW Test in heavy HH, and an Aero 30s Halfbelt in CXL steerhide.

Thanks to this forum, I have developed an itch that I have yet to scratch. Reading through some older posts here, ive been wanting a ridiculously heavy, 10+ lb leather jacket.

I contacted Johnson Leathers this week and got my order started. Its going to be based off their del-66, in a 6oz brown CXL steerhide. Leathers already ordered.
JL has been awesome sofar, im excited for the process and to see how this ends up.

If you want a 10lbs, I would recommend a bit of a longer jacket in their bison. This jacket here is 4.06 kg / 8.95lbs

FMfMlgA.jpg

So a longer jacket, say a car coat will hit the 10lbs goal while still be something you can wear everyday. If I didn't have quite a few orders already with JL, I would actually order that myself now lol

You might have missed it, but someone else got a beast of jacket from JL aptly named "the beast".

Here’s The Bull.

A good example that thick doesn’t need to equate impractical. The leather has already softened up considerably and works reasonably well as a daily driver.
Mind you, it will never behave like a 1,3 mm jacket the same way a winter wetsuit will never wear like a pair of boardshorts.

Fit is key with an item like this. You will need a pattern with a good range of motion to begin with, and then you will need to absolutely nail the fit.

View attachment 577904 View attachment 577905

I didn't see that jacket when you first posted it @Tom71 ! It looks fantastic!

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Been looking at some videos of 5-6oz CXL hides online. If my hide is anything like what the videos show, I think it will end up being totally wearable with some patience.
By the time its here ill have all summer to break it in wearing it around the house, and be good to go for the winter of 24-25

Aloysius

@red devil do you have a thread of your Johnson Peter's jackets? I've been piecing together a mental library between seeing pictures of it some here, some on Johnson's Instagram, etc.

red devil

Been looking at some videos of 5-6oz CXL hides online. If my hide is anything like what the videos show, I think it will end up being totally wearable with some patience.
By the time its here ill have all summer to break it in wearing it around the house, and be good to go for the winter of 24-25

I don't think you will need much patience, the jacktr should be more wearbale than you thing from the get go. JL have really good patterns.

@red devil do you have a thread of your Johnson Peter's jackets? I've been piecing together a mental library between seeing pictures of it some here, some on Johnson's Instagram, etc.

Sure, here

Let me know if you need any extra info or pics

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
A few years back, I owned this oddly heavy Aero Bootlegger, that was somewhere between 9.5 - 10.5 lbs.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-oddly-heavy-cordovan-bootlegger-size-44.103053/

Here's the first time I sold it, better photos on this thread...
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cordovan-aero-bootlegger-size-44-in-4-5oz-horsehide.91884/

The leather itself was beautiful to look at, and handling it was quite interesting. However that is where my positive comments stop with this particular jacket. And just to say it, I owned it Twice - I bought it back and tried it again and re-sold it, so I am speaking from a mild bit of experience here.

--Pattern is Everything.
--Be sure you really like the pattern it's being built on, and that you know not just your body dimensions and measurements, but have also thought through your planned activity level with this jacket.
--I found getting in and out of my car, putting on a backpack, reaching down to pick up my shoes, etc all were more difficult with this jacket on. And it did not get better as I even tried to "break it in."
--The leather itself was not interesting on this jacket. It had little if any smell, and did not ever really "warm up" on the person wearing it. It just remained cold and lifeless, even after a few hours with it on.
--The sleeves were too short (I did not order this beast new) - so not the jacket's fault.
--It was also very difficult to sell - most people are not looking for a 10+ lb leather jacket.

All that said, good luck, it's a corner condition for a leather jacket to weigh and remind one of a saddle. Maybe it's for you, but this is an area I no longer need to try again. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner