Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member, starting up a crazy JL 6oz leather jacket order

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think so, the field patterns are terrible, I would take this super heavy jacket made by JL over a field in soft leather any time of the day.

I think it will be much more wearable than people expect.

I agree that Johnson patterns handily beat all the boutique makers (except Chapman) but I meant the leather itself being incredibly stiff.

The way Johnson cuts sleeves is absolutely amazing, for example; so much so that you can wear a jacket too small for you and still move around perfectly–but the hide is still going to be super stiff!

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Im wearing it right now. Bit on the stiff side as is expected but by no means soul destroying. Its already a lot better than out of the box.
I will need to find a solution for the snap on the cuff that goes over my watch so I dont scratch it up. Maybe a piece of moleskin stuck over it or something.

Last edited:

STPmotor

Familiar Face
And it arrived! Grabbed some pics and threw it on right away. Its incredible. The quality is evident throughout. Measurements IMO are perfect. The first couple days will be the hardest I think but it is in no way unwearable. Ive committed to not taking it off today and tomorrow.
View attachment 597638 View attachment 597639 View attachment 597640 View attachment 597641 View attachment 597642 View attachment 597643 View attachment 597644 View attachment 597645 View attachment 597646
very cool man...be looking forward to this progress

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
A few years ago I would’ve been all over this, just like I was all over 20oz+ denim*. Then I realised I work sitting on my ass all day, and after that I pick up my daughter, take her to the park and do some groceries so I’m hardly living an Indiana Jones life, and thus I favour softer leather that drapes well with little break in period these days.

Still I enjoy seeing these monsters, like this jacket or 32oz jeans, please post progress pics.

* also with raw denim I couldn’t stand leaving blue stains everywhere, at least that’s not a problem with leather, usually.

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Will do for sure. Im loving this monster more and more by the hour.
Im finding that for me, this jacket actually fits better than my aero despite the weight difference. Its just cut better.

Also doesnt feel like ten pounds when im wearing it. The weight distribution is great, its not concentrated on the back of my neck or anything. Doesnt feel heavier than any other jacket when its on.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Fits great, and those rolls on the sleeves!

This jacket is gonna be the conversation starter at all the dinners and gatherings. People will be shocked when they pick it up off the chair back.

I find CXL soften up quite a lot when the waxes are warmed up, there is a huge difference when the jacket is cold and it turns soft when its warm.

About the snap and watch wearing. A temporary fix could be sticking one of those furniture felt pads there until a more permanent solution, like an extra piece of fabric or leather covering the back of the snap.

Congrats and can't wait to see all the progress pics. The sleeve rolls are gonna be insane on this jacket.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Will do for sure. Im loving this monster more and more by the hour.
Im finding that for me, this jacket actually fits better than my aero despite the weight difference. Its just cut better.

Also doesnt feel like ten pounds when im wearing it. The weight distribution is great, its not concentrated on the back of my neck or anything. Doesnt feel heavier than any other jacket when its on.
Johnsons patterns are great, especially the older biker patterns, but even the new ones still are better than Aeros. The jacket will need ages to soften up due to the nature of Horweens stuffed waxes and the thickness of the hide, be prepared for a long process but pwrsonally, the break-in process and seeing the jacket getting softer by the day is what I always liked best. If you can channel that, you will be fine.

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Its too bad as well, his threads were among the first that originally drew me to this site and the heavy leather therein

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Day 2 of the break-in process. Jackets gotten more wearable, but still a long way to go obviously. After this ill probably stick to posting images at much bigger intervals unless anyone wants specific pics.
IMG_9338.jpeg
IMG_9339.jpeg
IMG_9341.jpeg
IMG_9342.jpeg

For the button on the cuff, I just put a good bandaid over it, for now. Seems to work good!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You got quite a bit accomplished in just two days. The torso will also start to settle and the leather will drape closer to the body.

The closest I came to 6oz was a 5.5oz M500, so half a step down from your jacket, The rolls on the sleeve is unreal, nothing else like it. JL patterns can handle the thick hides,
Johnson M500 Kudu Fit 001.jpg

Just keep doing what you're doing and post some progress pics once in a while. Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner