Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Stuart Brown Vintage FQHH Lining questions

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Mike,
I doubt if you would notice the lightweight tartan (Reiver) being any warmer than the cotton drill, also if you look on the Loch Carron link there is a massive choice of different tartans (over 500 if I remember correctly!), I went for one that was in fact my family tartan(recommended by Will at Aero) and it matched the brown FQHH perfectly, I also find the Brown cotton drill has a "knapp" which is almost like a brushed cotton and find it smooth for easy arm access, I may be wrong but personally I would be wary of the durability of satin lined sleeves

D

db9v

New in Town
Been wearing my new HB Deluxe for a week or so now. It's been in the 50s here in Chicago, but even with the Black Watch tartan wool, it's not too warm. In fact, it's incredibly comfortable.

My only suggestion would be to have the sleeves lined in something like a satin, something that's not too "grabby" when you slide the jacket on.

-Brando

Thanks for the input Brando. I am going to ask Amanda which lining between cotton drill and the thinnest wool will be cooler.

db9v

New in Town
Recommend that you heed the mention in other postings on this forum to have some leather or corduroy sewn
in to the base of the back of the lining. This will prevent the cotton drill from sagging and popping out
the back of the jacket.

I just received my cotton drill-lined Hercules FQHH jacket this week.
I'm already noticing that the lining is tending to sag there and maybe peek out.
Mark at Aero USA talked me out of putting that sag protection at the back of
my jacket and I regret it. Of course I can add it later if I need to, so it's not the
worst mistake to make. But do consider it.

Felt fan...thanks for the recommendation. I did ask Amanda to add the leather strip to the bottom of the inside of my jacket. I think it adds to the look of the jacket also.

I wasnt that impressed with the cotton drill. I had red cotton drill in my highwayman and it wasn't warm enough for me (caveat I'm a warm blooded fellow) if it's more abrasion resistant the tartans must e weak. I put two wear holes where the leather bunched from the draw cinch at the waist.
I am going with the heaviest of the tartans, from the strome line of 16oz. Give me a year or two and I'll let you know if its any more durable. ;)

Old Crow, how long did the cotton drill last before getting the 2 holes?

db9v

New in Town
Recommend that you heed the mention in other postings on this forum to have some leather or corduroy sewn
in to the base of the back of the lining. This will prevent the cotton drill from sagging and popping out
the back of the jacket.

I just received my cotton drill-lined Hercules FQHH jacket this week.
I'm already noticing that the lining is tending to sag there and maybe peek out.
Mark at Aero USA talked me out of putting that sag protection at the back of
my jacket and I regret it. Of course I can add it later if I need to, so it's not the
worst mistake to make. But do consider it.

I wasnt that impressed with the cotton drill. I had red cotton drill in my highwayman and it wasn't warm enough for me (caveat I'm a warm blooded fellow) if it's more abrasion resistant the tartans must e weak. I put two wear holes where the leather bunched from the draw cinch at the waist.
I am going with the heaviest of the tartans, from the strome line of 16oz. Give me a year or two and I'll let you know if its any more durable. ;)

Mike,
I doubt if you would notice the lightweight tartan (Reiver) being any warmer than the cotton drill, also if you look on the Loch Carron link there is a massive choice of different tartans (over 500 if I remember correctly!), I went for one that was in fact my family tartan(recommended by Will at Aero) and it matched the brown FQHH perfectly, I also find the Brown cotton drill has a "knapp" which is almost like a brushed cotton and find it smooth for easy arm access, I may be wrong but personally I would be wary of the durability of satin lined sleeves

D

Thanks D, I am staying away from the satin lining. I agree with you that it may not be that durable. Sleeves will be cotton drill, but still deciding between the wool and cotton drill for the rest of the jacket. If there really is little difference between the warmth than I prefer the wool.

I agree. The tartan is no warmer than the drill, and looks a bit more custom and cool. As was said, pick one of the 500 and enjoy a unique jacket. Drill in the sleeves is fine. None of mine have worn through at all yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112