Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Thunderbay Café Racer?

robrinay

One Too Many
Can anyone throw any light on - Why this label?
I may have paid too much for this old Aero Café Racer at £180 eBay U.K. but I’ve been after one for some time. I’m intrigued by the Thunderbay label. I’ve read on old threads on TFL that this label was sometimes used to signify an ‘apprentice made’ jacket and sometimes a modified jacket. I think it might be the latter in this case as it’s a more boxy fit than the usual style. It’s labelled a 42” but it fits like a 44” chest. The patina is nice and the leather has softened nicely with wear and tear. When I got it the lining was shredded in the pockets and cuffs areas but I’ve patched it up fairly neatly with black cotton twill using my wife’s Bernina 1230 sewing machine with the top tension on maximum. I just hope she doesn’t find out?

AFECB61D-5448-4581-8F0E-04ECDDF382BB.jpeg
14DDAB00-A2FE-4782-ABEE-18BFC140FDE2.jpeg
044CF9C6-E172-4947-BCE5-5FF1036B9DB7.jpeg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I had one just like it for a while, before selling it on. The jacket itself is a good jacket, and for 180 GBP you probably did just fine, as long as the repairs that you had to make didn't cost too much.

I don't know the story behind the label, but I'm sure someone here does. My guess is that the Thunder Bay label predates the jacket design Aero call the Thunder Bay.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a nice jacket and for around ~180 UK / $220 Usd I would barely consider the label, just wear and use it. Great daily driver Steerhide jacket there. Let me know if you want to part ways with it, I just might be interested.

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
What I've been told, the Thunder Bay line was a more affordable option to Aero's standard line. Some experiments, such as quilted lining and non-standard hides were used in Thunder Bay line jackets.

For 180 quid a great deal anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner