Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Type 3 Jean jacket

dm8877

New in Town
Hi all,

Just hanging out, waiting for my 30s half belt to get made/delivered. Already considering another jacket. It's not a problem - I can quit anytime I want.

Anyway, has anyone seen, tried-on or acquired the Aero type 3 jean jacket? What can you tell me about it? Especially how it fits.

I like the brown suede, but I'm worried suede might be hard to care for. I also think it would look good in seal goat. OD contrast stitching in either case, I think.

Thoughts?

wdw

One Too Many
I tried one on a couple of weeks ago and quite liked it, although it's a much tighter fit than I'd normally wear. The suede seems pretty thick and the general impression was that it was a quality item.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
It fits the same as the original Levi Type III pattern, if you've got one or access to one that should help? Alternatively send over your measurements, or let me know you're thinking of one and I can help you out over e-mail.

Edward

Bartender
Not a style of which I am a particular fan. I'd say the suede probably looks better to my eye - closer the matte look of the denim these were originally made by - it's not a style that really looks quite 'right' in leather, to my subjective eye. That said, the goat would at least be wipe-clean. [huh]

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I think its a great looking bit of kit....considering a brown steer, on antique russet steer....would get lots of use around these parts....

majormajor

One Too Many
I spent some time talking Ken recently on this very subject (except the jacket we were discussing will not be a Levi Type III).

My ideal hide for this (like Levi used back in the 60's) is a split steerhide - both sides have a hard suede finish. Ken dug a few out for me. One in a tan shade, the other with a more yellow tinge. Both looked very good - mch more substantial than regular soft suede which (to me) is too soft. My old Levi had a contrasting leather collar - Ken suggested replicating this in Kudu, which again had the same feel as my original jacket back in 67.

majormajor

One Too Many
That sounds interesting. It it like a nubuck or something different?

I'm no expert on hide, so I really couldn't say. But here is a pic of a 60's Levi Split Cowhide:

kgrhqfhjdkentemenkbpt7p.jpg

Note how thick the stuff is - and very rough - I'd swear I could see where the blood vessels had been on mine!

Also, note that the pocket flaps do not have turned over seams - it is just the cut edges of the hide with a bit of purely decorative stitching. If they'd seamed them in the normal way, they would have been too bulky.

And the most important thing - it was UNLINED - just like a regular denim jean jacket (yes I know about StormRiders et al - but regular jean jackets DO NOT have lining!)....:D;)

Last edited:

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Check out the cover of the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton album as John McVie is wearing a light blue version of the jacket
you refer too.
The album came out in 1966.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Yes, the famous Beano album. Eric appears to have a Dennis the Menace shirt on under the coat.

Looking back though, that type of jacket was somewhat of a rarity at a time when most
opted for the cord type 3 Levi jacket around 1968-72.
They also made a version in a smooth type cord material and marketed as The Needlecord range.
Not too durable as the the jacket seemed to outlast the pants.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I had a dark brown suede type 3, circa mid 80s, not Levi, an Asian knockoff...it was tough thick pig suede, lined in light brown cotton, took a bit to break in. Had lighter brown contrast stitching, cuffs and seams, but matching stitching on pockets.

Looked better the more it matted and was worn....not sure this would be the case in a lighter suede, but chocolate or black will look great over time. One of my sons absconded w it years ago or I would post pics....last I saw it was rolled up in the trunk of his junker. The final resting place of all beat suede. C'est la vie.

dm8877

New in Town
Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

Unlined brown suede sounds pretty good, actually. Objectively, it's probably the best choice for the style and how I would wear it.

My particular first-world dilemma is: I do want something in Aero's seal goat. If it's not the type 3, that probably means I'm looking at buying a type 3 in suede and then a third Aero jacket in goat, FFS.

And I have no idea what other styles I might want in goat. And I'm sure I can't make good use of two type 3s.

I see I have stumbled into FL jacket hell with the rest of you . . .

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I love the dark brown suede leather collar jacket!, on the type 3 needlecord you have just reminded me that I bought one of these in navy blue about 30-40 years ago got it home and decided it was too snug a fit so it's still somewhere in my wardrobe never worn(they were very neat fitting for the label size)

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael