Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Vs Eastman A2

perrins57

New in Town
Eastman or Aero?

I've got an Eastman House Seal A-2 and an Aero FQHH in russet. Both are superb for different reasons. But it doesn't matter which you buy, they are both great jackets and either one will start a collection where you end up buying at least on in seal, one in russet, one smooth, one jerky or grained, one eastman, one aero, one Real McCoy etc etc.
So which jacket starts your collection isn't that important - you always want the others as well anyway.

JRaptor

Familiar Face
I gave the AERO's a look and IMO they just don't have the right look besides the fact that they look kind of cheap and the zip's and makers labels are unauthentic!

Being from Dayton, OH. I pretty much grew up at Wright Patterson AFB and the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Museum along with the fact that the A-2 has been a hobby of mine for some 15 years owning quite a few originals and no less than 5 repro's....all ELC!

If you are a die-hard enthusiast and want to get as close to the real thing as possible.... ELC is the only choice. My favorite A-2 is my ELC ROUGH WEAR 1401-P that I ordered in the limited edition North American mustang hide, it has a more open grain and lots of scars and bruising....gorgeous jacket!

I would stay away from the AERO and go with the EASTMAN or RMnz if you can find one. All the other company’s have missed the mark!

BTW: ELC made an AERO A-2 Contract 18775-P which is said to be no longer available
But I ‘ll bet they could still make one for you, I have one and it is my second favorite next to my RW 1401-P!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A2's...horses for courses!!

One man's A2 maker is another man's poison! I appreciate you love the ELC's, but there will be a man for every make out there...that's the glorious joy and pain of this vintage jacket disease!!

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

i think if you want a nice a2 jacket. look at u.s.mfg horsehide seal brown nice looking jacket. looks like the real thing when it breaks in.....

SGB

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
One man's A2 maker is another man's poison! I appreciate you love the ELC's, but there will be a man for every make out there...that's the glorious joy and pain of this vintage jacket disease!!

Yes Paddy, everybody has been bloodied in the stupid Aero vs Eastman wars, since the companies began. But the bottom line is that it is great there is a choice. To each his own, and respect the other guys choices and opinions.

SGB

JRaptor

Familiar Face
SGB said:
Yes Paddy, everybody has been bloodied in the stupid Aero vs Eastman wars, since the companies began. But the bottom line is that it is great there is a choice. To each his own, and respect the other guys choices and opinions.

SGB

Yes, you guy's are right. I like ELC so much because here in the state's you deal with HISTORY PRESERVATION ASSOCIATES and Charles has great knowledge and will send you a trial sizing jacket and work with you fully to make sure you get a good fit, plus the ELC's are truly hand made by one and the same person from start to finish!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
JRaptor said:
Yes, you guy's are right. I like ELC so much because here in the state's you deal with HISTORY PRESERVATION ASSOCIATES and Charles has great knowledge and will send you a trial sizing jacket and work with you fully to make sure you get a good fit, plus the ELC's are truly hand made by one and the same person from start to finish!

See? It's not just the jackets themselves that cause divisions of opinion. I'd rather have my kidneys shaved than deal with HISTORY PRESERVATION ASSOCIATES again.

Six months of waiting, communication like pulling teeth, no trial jacket.Try it on and it's considered "used." Can't email them. The jacket is great, of course, but that's Eastman's credit.

kojax

Practically Family
i give u.s. mfg alot of creit they let you try the jacket. it does not fit you get another one that fits..custmor service is good......flight jacket is good to i am from boston go PATS

JRaptor

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
See? It's not just the jackets themselves that cause divisions of opinion. I'd rather have my kidneys shaved than deal with HISTORY PRESERVATION ASSOCIATES again.

Six months of waiting, communication like pulling teeth, no trial jacket.Try it on and it's considered "used." Can't email them. The jacket is great, of course, but that's Eastman's credit.

I have had nothing but good luck with them and they most certainly offer trial sizing jacket's with a deposit that goes towards the jacket you purchase.

I would love to purchase my jackets directly from ELC but that seam’s like more of a pain, and what if it don't fit? As far as the wait time.... It is well worth the wait considering accuracy and quality that is second to none!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
scotrace said:

Man that is a great line "I'd rather have my kidneys shaved...":eusa_clap

Johnny English

New in Town
RMNZ A2 Sizes

After enquiring about their Dubow A2's,I just got an email from RMNZ saying that their sizes are different from other manufacturers. Does any one have any experience of this ?
I've got a size 40 ELC Irvin would I need to go bigger with an RM ?

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Johnny English said:
After enquiring about their Dubow A2's,I just got an email from RMNZ saying that their sizes are different from other manufacturers. Does any one have any experience of this ?
I've got a size 40 ELC Irvin would I need to go bigger with an RM ?

Tough to tell with an Irvin. I take a 44 in their A2s and a 42 in ELC. It is a rule of thumb to have about 4 inches more than your chest size. So a 44 would work for you if you have a 40 chest like me (they are 22.5 under the armpits or 45 generally I would ask Paddy to be sure).

Johnny English

New in Town
And the winner is ............

Eastman
Having taken due regard of all the knowledge folks in the forum, I'm going to order the ELC Werber . 4 week delivery tho !

JRaptor

Familiar Face
Johnny English said:
Eastman
Having taken due regard of all the knowledge folks in the forum, I'm going to order the ELC Werber . 4 week delivery tho !

Lucky you.... I am odering mine next week and I was quoted a 12 week delivery time here in the US....[huh]

Johnny English

New in Town
12 weeks ! what a bummer ! I thought 4 was bad enough. Did Eastman say why ?
It's a real drag having to wait after all the painstaking decision making, when you make your mind up which one you want, you want it now !

perrins57

New in Town
Anybody else think the new Eastman Weber looks a bit too light in colour? On their website it appears the same shade as the original, but that would have faded considerably since the 1940's. Many people on A-2 jacket forums have criticised the repro jacket makers for making their A-2's too dark in colour, but my Eastman house A-2 in seal has faded noticeably in just two years - I'm sure it will get lighter yet. If the Eastman Weber is the same shade as the original now, what will it be like in years to come?

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

While we're debating ELC vs. Aero, I have to ask: Has anyone bought one of Aero's chocolate-brown steerhide A-2's? I am curious about the steerhide. I recall someone making this inquiry in an earlier posting, but do not remember anyone responding.
And -- forgive me if this is redundant, for I fear it is -- how does Aero's sizing stack up against ELC? Thanks, all.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
SamReu said:
While we're debating ELC vs. Aero, I have to ask: Has anyone bought one of Aero's chocolate-brown steerhide A-2's? I am curious about the steerhide. I recall someone making this inquiry in an earlier posting, but do not remember anyone responding.
And -- forgive me if this is redundant, for I fear it is -- how does Aero's sizing stack up against ELC? Thanks, all.

I have what they call the 50 mission jacket which is steerhide. Very nice jacket you would be very happy with it. Sizing of ELC vs Aero. I take a 42 in ELC and either a 42 or 44 in Aero. Again get the dimensions of the jacket to help with your decision.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

greyhound68 said:
I have what they call the 50 mission jacket which is steerhide. Very nice jacket you would be very happy with it. Sizing of ELC vs Aero. I take a 42 in ELC and either a 42 or 44 in Aero. Again get the dimensions of the jacket to help with your decision.

Just what I wanted to know. The things you learn on this site. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou