Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero worth the wait? Horsehide shootout; Aero vs. Schott

Aero vs. Schott

• Schott 618HH

• CXFQHH Aero Indian Ranger

Results are only viewable after voting.

Psant25

One Too Many
I have own numerous aero and no schott. I would buy the schott and try it out. If it does not work easy return and buy the aero.

My aero chips looked great but the pattern was not great. Poor range of motion. Any arm movement forward and it pinched. Had that with all my aeros except a type iii in Vic.

My JL chp has similar specs to my aero chips i sold but it is very comfortable. So much so i have another on the way. Living in the US and being able to use a fit jacket and any option you want including horween cxl I think ya always gotta throw johnson leather in there. It does take some adjustments to get that modern look

If you go aero and doesnt work you are flipping it for 500-600 bucks. I looked at shipping one back to aero for credit and it was like 240 dollars insured. No thanks

trainspotter

A-List Customer
ahh so what does Schott have? And how does it patina?
Also aero has one on stock, but it's "Jerky" not really into that lol

I want a new horsehide jacket to bend to my will lol I get it, but 4 months is a bit too long for me to wait for a jacket. 2, sure, 4? Ehh

Unless somehow the difference between a Schott and Aero jacket is really a world of difference.

I have a schott in CXL Horsehide & one in CXL Steerhide. As most will tell you, both have very similar hand, which is initially very firm. Steerhide is a bit heavier and thicker than Horsehide, but breaks in much more easily. I believe patina and and character (creasing & graining) is largely similar in both. I personally prefer horsehide to steerhide, since the weight & thickness of hh jackets is already quite substantial & adding 15-20% makes it a bit hard for daily usage

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
it appears that if I buy the aero I'll have the opposite problem, it's gonna be here in the summer

also I am in correspondence with Ms. Holly and Ms. Carrie, one says 12-14 weeks, the other 16 weeks. Would you guys buy it from thurston or aero? Not trying to slander anyone, all business lol I am already stationed in Europe so...

If you are in Europe I would order directly from Holly.

aren't they both cxl?

To clarify, CX stands for chrome tanned leather, which is the most effective and fastest tanning method so yeah, both hides are chrome tanned - however, that'd be simplifying something that's otherwise very complicated.

Aero is sourcing leather from Horween which is using a very specific tanning process and although also using chromium sulfate as a primary tanning agent, the difference between the two hides offered by the two companies couldn't be any more substantial.

As others already explained, Aero's Horween CXL will fade to brown due to having only the surface painted black so you'll end up with what many of us consider gorgeous gradation in color and eventually texture as well.
Schott HH is dyed all the way through and will forever remain black.

Look at as many photos as you can find, see what you prefer. But again, it's worth waiting for an Aero.

So @Monitor you mean my shiny lustrous black cxlfqhh jacket will loose its luster to a more subdued brown? I sure hope not

This 25 years old HWM used to be shiny lustrous black. ;)

11246497_1229531150396962_2022462454231983759_o.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
I got this Aero on January 2017. It is shearling lined, I asked for the thickest shearling available and the result was a beast that weighs a ton... It is really warm, thus I have not worn it that much. Moreover I own a couple of leather and flight jackets which I try to rotate. I don't think I wear this more than 15-20 days per year.

So if I have on right now, and I wear it everyday as is my 2021 resolution, I'd get that much wear in like 3-4 months? How often did you wear the schott?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have a CXL FQHH Indian Ranger on order through Thurston Brothers, shoud see if by Janurary. I would do that if you decide it's the best choice for you.

Nothing wrong with the Shott at all, just not my preferance.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
This 25 years old HWM used to be shiny lustrous black. ;)

11246497_1229531150396962_2022462454231983759_o.jpg
wow, that's crazy. I bought a midnight blue CXL racer from classifieds because I liked other examples of how it faded to brown eventually. The blue/brown combo played with each other really nice. But this black/brown seems bonkers.

Careful on the Indian Ranger. The build is quite unique. The one of the stock page goes from 23.5 p2p to 18 waist. And it's short. So you might want to carry around a red cape and a saber for some bull fighting unless you got a body built like someone is squeezing you around the waist and pushing the excess up to your chest.

Going custom is probably best and I talked to Carrie about similar project and probably would end up ordering a Ridley that has the button/zipper/brass layout like an Indian Ranger, for a better fit.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
ALL

I have decided to go with Schott. Since its a dedicated Motorcycle jacket anyways, and the bi-swing back is more useful. Size 40 instead of a 42. I also like like the slim cut off the rack. Waiting 4 months and 2x the price for a custom one and then bulking up, changing my proportions so it would not fit is not very ideal for me. No matter if it was made by virgins and cured with the tears of Baby Pandas, fit is King.

At least with Schott if my, ahem, liquid assistance arrives (celebrities call it "chicken and broccoli") and I bulk up, I will downgrade this jacket from "can layer with a hoodie" to "wear just a shirt underneath and grab your canada goose if its too cold" will post pictures and document how it patinas for when I beat it like how I beat "myself" to videos of Courtney Sweet and/or Lilith Lust.

Thanks all for your input.

@blobsterroll , well, you haven't made a mistake, that's for sure. Action back on Schott is for sure far more useful and purpose built, instead of mostly just being decorative element and the jacket will serve you as long as any Aero would so... Congrats! My only two diagonal zipper jackets are both regular Schott 613's and to retire with these two jackets isn't something I've decided overnight so all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana