Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aeroleather Highwayman in Connolly Steerhide from 1985-1987 - a dream came true!

Do you like it?

• Yes

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Today is a good day. A jewel has just landed, an Aeroleather Highwayman leather jacket in Connolly Steerhide! Label indicate it's from 1985 - 1987, hardly worn in almost NOS condition.

Many years ago I won such a Jacket on auction, but unfortunately it didn't fit me at the time and I sold it to the Aeroleather Company. Even then I was so enthusiastic about this Connolly* Leather, I have been looking for years finding a jacket in good condition and proper size. Now a dream has come true!

You may or may not like the Highwayman cut/fit, this time I got lucky and the jacket fits me very well. The sleeves are a bit on shorter side but I prefer slightly shorter sleeves anyway.

*With the search term "Connolly" there are already some posts in this Forum why this leather is so extraordinary, I therefore refrain from expressing myself again in detail.

Let the pictures speak:

Aero_Hwym_Overall.jpg

Aero_Hwym_3_Collar.jpg

Aero_Hwym_1_Front.jpg

Aero_Hwym_2_Back.jpg

Aero_Hwym_Front closed.jpg

Aero_Hwym_Front opened.jpg

Aero_Hwym_Back.jpg

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Just a quick question about early Aeroleather Steerhide Labels were used, @cloudylemonade @Hide'n'seek

Is there a difference/reason about blue or red letters were used or it is only a "cosmetic thing"?
What was meant by "deluxe", special processing, material etc.

Maybe there is a Forum Member as well to bring some light in it?

Thank you for taking your time!

Aero_Label_red.JPG

Aero_Label_blue.JPG

Source: www

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Today is a good day. A jewel has just landed, an Aeroleather Highwayman leather jacket in Connolly Steerhide! Label indicate it's from 1985 - 1987, hardly worn in almost NOS condition.

Many years ago I won such a Jacket on auction, but unfortunately it didn't fit me at the time and I sold it to the Aeroleather Company. Even then I was so enthusiastic about this Connolly* Leather, I have been looking for years finding a jacket in good condition and proper size. Now a dream has come true!

You may or may not like the Highwayman cut/fit, this time I got lucky and the jacket fits me very well. The sleeves are a bit on shorter side but I prefer slightly shorter sleeves anyway.

*With the search term "Connolly" there are already some posts in this Forum why this leather is so extraordinary, I therefore refrain from expressing myself again in detail.

Let the pictures speak:

View attachment 476306

View attachment 476307

View attachment 476308
View attachment 476309
View attachment 476310
View attachment 476311
View attachment 476312
Wonderful jacket and a perfect fit in my opinion.
Congrat

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really nice there!
I briefly owned one of those many years back but it was both too short and too wide in the shouders for me.
The leather was wonderful on it. Looks great on yours too!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Wonderful jacket and a perfect fit in my opinion.
Congrat
Really nice there!
I briefly owned one of those many years back but it was both too short and too wide in the shouders for me.
The leather was wonderful on it. Looks great on yours too!
Thank you! In fact, the Highwayman cut is often problematic (I had numerous), sometimes too boxy and too short in the front. Maybe it has something to do because the earlier jackets were cut a little differently. I am quite happy how this particular Jacket fits me :)

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Far nicer in connoly than any other hide, certainly better than the fqhh I had mine in, That jacket resides in Canada now with a forum member I believe.

Congratulations!
Yes, the earlier ones had a slightly different pattern, and fit more TTS. I used to have a brown Connolly one, and it is my favorite hide for Aero jackets. Yours looks amazing!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Great jacket with a spectacular hide. Read so much about the Connolly but have never handled it. Your got really lucky with the fit here. Not too boxy by any standards!

As for the labels, maybe @cloudylemonade can chime in on the origins. Aero and their labels is a story in itself.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering about the cut on the Japanese site? The dimensions looks off to me. The shoulders are about 17.5" and the pit-to-pit is a little more than 22".

Does the older cut trimer? My current cut is a size 40 and the dimensions are a little more generous.

Mark

Practically Family

Let the pictures speak:

View attachment 476306

View attachment 476307

View attachment 476308
View attachment 476309
View attachment 476310
View attachment 476311
View attachment 476312
That's a beauty. I often think steerhide is more pleasing to look at and wear than horse. Seeing your jacket gives me hope my 59'er HWM in their "soft grainy black steerhide" on order with Aero will have the potential to look as cool as your jacket one day. Aero claim it is not dissimilar to the Connolly hide.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
That's a beauty. I often think steerhide is more pleasing to look at and wear than horse. Seeing your jacket gives me hope my 59'er HWM in their "soft grainy black steerhide" on order with Aero will have the potential to look as cool as your jacket one day. Aero claim it is not dissimilar to the Connolly hide.
Cool, you have a nice incoming!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I was wondering about the cut on the Japanese site? The dimensions looks off to me. The shoulders are about 17.5" and the pit-to-pit is a little more than 22".

Does the older cut trimer? My current cut is a size 40 and the dimensions are a little more generous.
I had the same feeling when I bought my Jacket from mercari given nearly same measurements. But as you can see, it works for me and I would say I'm of average build. If I remember correctly, today's Highwaymans are actually cut more generously and unfortunately often too short in the front. I also can't imagine that Aero was already supplying the Japanese market with STF jackets in the mid-1980s. Maybe it's also due to the setting and cut of the sleeves so that less width is needed in the shoulders. Sleeves are on the shorter side too.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I had the same feeling when I bought my Jacket from mercari given nearly same measurements. But as you can see, it works for me and I would say I'm of average build. If I remember correctly, today's Highwaymans are actually cut more generously and unfortunately often too short in the front. I also can't imagine that Aero was already supplying the Japanese market with STF jackets in the mid-1980s. Maybe it's also due to the setting and cut of the sleeves so that less width is needed in the shoulders. Sleeves are on the shorter side too.

I have never purchased from Mercari. I wonder how much the fees will be. In true honesty, the sleeves are in my sweet spot. I always have trouble with them in all of my jackets. Specially LW.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I have never purchased from Mercari. I wonder how much the fees will be. In true honesty, the sleeves are in my sweet spot. I always have trouble with them in all of my jackets. Specially LW.
I paid Buyee Proxy Fee of Yen 1'000 and then Yen 8'800 for EMS shipping to Europe. Of course depending on your country you have to pay additional VAT Tax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21