Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Schofields

Familiar Face
- murray & lanman florida water
- dominica & pinaud bay rums
- old spice leather
- pinaud clubman special reserve (this one is either hit or miss, luckily its cheap)

and believe it or not, the old spice knockoff you can get at most dollar stores blows the modern crap out of the water.

will333

New in Town
I gotta agree with Nathan Dodge at the top of this page, Pinauds Clubman is the only aftershave for me. It reminds me of a fresh barber shop shave and haircut every morning. I also like the way it compliments and combines with the pipe tobacco I smoke.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
The only one that really struck me was one at the local Mont Blanc store, their men's fragrance called "Exceptionnel". Have any of the gents here tried it?? After looking this up on www.basenotes.net this, and Mont Blanc's "Individuel" both sound terrific... They had a tester of "Exceptionnel" at the store that I could spray on a card.

My everyday aftershave in Pinaud's Clubman, but I also love Mont Blanc's "Presence" and Hana Mori for Men.

I'm an avid user of Old Spice products, cologne, aftershave, body spray, deodorant, body wash, and what-not. Good stuff, but I always get told I smell like somebody's dad or granddad.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I generally use Dunhill for Men(1934) or Clubman by Pinaud. I love Dunhill but this particular one is getting difficult to find now since discontinued.

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
For years, Fahrenheit was my favorite, but now I'm moving more towards Crabtree & Evelyn's "West Indian Lime". I've also found that I am more willing to change my aftershave scents depending on the weather. And I don't know if that's strange or not.[huh]

topango

Familiar Face
?? # 14

AlanC said:
If you have a Saks Fifth Avenue nearby they should have most Creed scents. There are other high end shops that carry them as well. If you play your cards right you can get a sample out of them, although they're hesitant to hand out Creed samples. Creed is very strong. A little goes a long way.

Some other scents to look (smell?) at are those offered by the great American firm Caswell-Massey. George Washington wore Caswell-Massey cologne. Now that's old school! Others like Cole Porter did as well.

The English houses like Floris, Truefitt & Hill, Trumper's (try Spanish Leather) and Taylor of Old Bond offer lots of classic scents that have been around forever. I also like Equipage by Hermes. eBarbershop offers a lot of old time scents it looks like.

Oh, if you want a review of a scent, try Basenotes[/QUOTE

Prior to buying G. Washington's scent you may want to sample it. I had the chance to at a retail outlet; both my wife and I thought it smelled far too much of alcohol

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
topango said:
Prior to buying G. Washington's scent you may want to sample it. I had the chance to at a retail outlet; both my wife and I thought it smelled far too much of alcohol

I found that the scent vanished rather quickly.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Anybody (Except Marc C) ever tried the Chilean after shave called Flano? (tilde over the n)

When I last visited Chile as an airline crew member everybody bought a bottle.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Chanel's "Russian Leather"??

This is marked as "Cuir de Russie". was flipping through the "Surprise Me!" pages on a new bio on Fred Astaire, there is a bit in the book that Fred tells Arlene Dahl that he wears this.

According to www.fragrantica.com , here is the info:

"Cuir de Russie, or Russian leather was a theme modern at the end of the 19th century. Many perfume houses were creating perfumes for women who smoked cigarettes. Today exclusive, Chanel's Cuir de Russie was created in 1924. The fragrance is provocative and shocking, and that exactly was its purpose, because it was created for a woman who dared to smoke cigarettes in public. It was a kind of encouragement and approval, because at that time a woman who smoked was a scandalous and inconceivable symbol of emancipation.

The composition starts with aldehydes moderated by mild nectar of classical trio – rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang. The ending comes as smoky, animalistic note of dark leather. The main notes are: orange blossom, bergamot, mandarin, sage, iris, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, cedarwood, vetiver, styrax, leather, amber and vanilla.
The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Beaux."

Hm, sounds like some wonderful fragrance notes for a man or a woman. A few are hanging around on evilBay, I may have to snag one just out of curiosity...

Lily Powers

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
... Hm, sounds like some wonderful fragrance notes for a man or a woman. A few are hanging around on evilBay, I may have to snag one just out of curiosity...

Hi ChanteuseCarey! The description of scents sounds very intriguing. Maybe you could try Macy's, Nordstrom or Sephora before evilBay - free samples and better return policies!. I'd be cautious of online fragrance sellers, as the product could be watered (or alcohol'd) down.

BinkieBaumont said:
Listening to the "Phil Harris,Alice Faye show, a reference to "Russian leather" after shave, Phil responds with " Who wants to smell like a leathery Russian?"
Similar quote in a wine book, refering to wine snobs coming up with obtuse smell and flavor descriptions: "Essesnce of rain washed violets on russian leather." Now tell me you really get that from a wine?

strider_ani

New in Town
A little adventure I went on yesterday.
Since I'd never heard of many of the fragrances mentioned here and having never smelt them either, I decided to go looking for them in the city. (My dad doesn't wear any cologne or aftershave.)
Anyways, I started off simple: looking for 4 fragrances, Old Spice, Hai Karate, Bay Rum and Safari by Ralph Lauren.
It turned out miserably. I found an Aftershave and Cologne gift pack for Old Spice in a chemist for $15 AU which I bought immediately. If there was cologne separate I would have bought a few more. There was also Safari here for $140. Way out of my price range, and no sample bottle. :(
Anyways, that's all I found in the city, all the big, major, exclusive, expensive shops didn't have anything except for new stuff. I found Safari again in David Jones, but it was the same price as the chemist. At least I got to smell it though.
When I'd ask for the cologne, they'd ask me who it was by which I didn't know. Then when I'd ask for old spice some would look at me like a cheapo. "Oh, you can get that at the chemist." they would say mockingly.
Well, they can go suck an egg because old spice smells great and I'll use it every day now.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Try Guerlain Habit Rouge for winter truly Special David Jones, in Bourke street will have it

habit_rouge.bmp

Spritz Guerlain "Vetiver" for summer

Over this way the Chemist is the Drug Store or Pharmacy. If a larger chain store member it will have a varety of aftershaves and shaving items. The specialty colonge shops will deal in high end scents and have a certain posh image so that they shy away from much of what the chemists will handle brand wise for scents. Christmas time often see better deals on aftershaves with variosu boxed sets produced including variety packs for sampling from the same major producer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80