Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

univibe88

One Too Many
Nathan Dodge said:
Does anyone else associate this brand of Clubman with the barber shop? I also use this version of their talcum powder.

Yes, it smells exactly like a barber shop! I picked some up today, along with some classic Old Spice after shave. I'm going to give them both a spin (not at the same time obviously.)

The Clubman has a little security wrapper on the top that says "It is illegal to refill this bottle or tamper with the stopper. Violators will be prosecuted." I thought that was a bit odd.

univibe88 said:
The Clubman has a little security wrapper on the top that says "It is illegal to refill this bottle or tamper with the stopper. Violators will be prosecuted." I thought that was a bit odd.

It is to preclude a barbershop or other commercial use like the restroom attendant from refilling the bottle with a lesser brand.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I love "Vol De Nuit" (Night Flight) by Guerlaine, although, Im not sure if i am prejudice because of the "Flacon" it comes in which has a symbol of an Aeroplanes propeller in relief on the front" I dont wear it very often, but sometimes I just like to take a "Wiff" of it before I leave for the Office"

3968824488_c0e981efdd.jpg

Launched in 1933 & Named after a famous French novel

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"What was Monsieur's selection, prey tell?"

I went for Old Spice and I must say I have had many a pleasant reaction but as long as my wife likes it I'm fine. :)

Another consideration was that it had been around for so long, hopefully it won't be discontinued any time soon.

That is a fine bottle for the Vol de Nuit is that a sort of grey/charcoal glass?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Af1OxkFOK18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Af1OxkFOK18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
:D

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
You have quite a selection to choose from sir.
I myself have used versions from Pinauds, C.O. Bigelow, Dominica, and Ogalalla with favorable results. I've also concocted a homebrew version which I use as a splash immediately after shaving. Differing brands of bay rum tend to focus on differnt elements of the brew. Some are spicier, some have a more vanilla quality, some burn like the dickens...
My process has been to try as many as I can get my hands on!

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Used Pinauds, for years. Love it.
Can't find the C.O. Bigelow to purchase. What to try it.
Used Royall as well my favourite.

Tried making my own, a disaster. Just smell like an alcoholic.

Thanks for the other recommendations. Will try to find Ogalalla.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
My favorite is (was) by Floris, but they don't seem to make it anymore, so I now use Bay Rum from D.R. Harris. ST. John's and Royall are both great--Have used them both.

Edward

Bartender
Can't help you, I'm afraid - I stopped wearing aftershave when I was finally old enough to need to shave regularly. [huh]

Are there any benefits (other than the perceived benefit of the smell) to aftershave nowadays, or has it evolved into a men's parfum? I use an alum block following shaving, but if there was any benefit in also using some sort of post-shave lotion on top of that I might experiment, providing I could find an unscented one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy