Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
funneman said:
I searched everywhere for Clubman Bay Rum and finally found it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

I found I really didn't care for the smell, it reminded me of an old man, and it felt kind of sticky on my face.

I also picked up a bottle Osage rub. This I liked a lot better, but my wife says it smells like Vicks Vaporub.

I really like the smell of Lilac Vegetal, it reminds me of the stuff they used to use in the barber shops, but Sally's says it's being discontinued.

I saw this at Sally Beauty Supply last week and took a discreet sniff. It smelled pretty nice to me.

--Leslie

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Aquia33 said:
But in another thread here in the FL a few months ago I was directed to the Ogallala Bay Rum (http://www.ogallalabayrum.com/). I really like it. it's a bit lighter than others I have but nice for work or other occasions where a light, casual, fresh fragerance is desired.

Here's a second for that. I use this one through the week for work, and Dominica on weekends.
Ogallala also comes in a neat blue bottle.

a2_1.JPG

WEEGEE

Practically Family

ideaguy

One Too Many
mens' cologne

What is considered to be a "classic" cologne-and available to be bought,
not just talked about? I've used one for years, and need to switch-turns
out my wife really doesn't care for it.!? I'd like something that is considered
to be one of the finer scents; have a full beard, so I only use a couple of
drops at most, and don't want to be noticed unless you're breathing down my
neck.
Does anyone know of a few "classic" mens' fragrances?

PenMan

Familiar Face
I'm partial to 4711, the original Kolnish Wasser, i.e. Cologne water. In most circumstances I use the non-classic Tommy because my wife really likes it, and this is one of those areas where if she likes it, we both end up happy.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I tend to mix scents and maybe I'm lucky, but I've ALWAYS had a positive reaction.

I use Old Spice 'Fresh' deodorant as a base and make sure to really slather it on (call me OCD, just a habit). Although counterintuitive, I can assure you one cannot smell my deodorant across the table, even as generously as I put it on.

An old girlfriend of mine bought me a bottle of Victoria's Secret for Him years ago and at first I didn't use it often. I thought it was a little…feminine I guess. But when I became single (from said girlfriend), I started wearing the stuff a little more often. Mixed with the smell of my deodorant, it provides a very mild, fresh, sophisticated smell. Call it new world (Vic’s Secret) meets old world (Spice) but whatever you call it, call it great!

One question for BellyTank: what ratios would I want to use in order to create some scents with your oil+alcohol mixtures? 1 part essential oil to ? parts alcohol? :)

Duck

Practically Family
Lucky Tiger Bay Rum. I love the stuff!!! I didn't even know it was still being made, until I found it online. The smell brings back lots of memories of going to the barber shop with my grandfather in the late 50's and 60's. :)
To me, the smell is what a clean shave should smell like.:D

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Salv said:
Does anyone wear Penhaligon's scents?

Oh yes. Penhaligon's has to the classiest perfumer of all the old British houses. I have their Blenheim Bouquet shave soap and have sampled the edt. Power, class, and sophistication come to mind. It is one the classiest scents around. You will catch yourself humming Rule Britannia! I have not had the pleasure of trying the Hammam Bouquet but it is on the list.

Salv said:
But my favourite has a lovely mellow spiciness, and is the one I first bought from them. Known in the early 1980's as Eau de Portugal, renamed to Lords in the 1990's, and now renamed again to Douro, it was first introduced in 1910 -
Top Notes - Geranium, Lime, Lemon, Lavender, Mandarin, Basil
Middle Notes - Neroli, Muguet
Base Notes - Labdanum, Treemoss, Musk

Salv, is there a better citrus scent than Lords? Yes, they've gone back to calling it Lords. Quite rightly I think. It is easily my favourite of all citrus scents. It LASTS a long time as well. Unlike many other citrus dominated scents.

Penhaligon's sent me their latest catalogue yesterday and it is a colour and black and white treat for the eyes. Unlike a few other old favourites like Trumper who have gone just a tad more modern Penhaligon's is definately going more tradtional. As if they could get any further in that direction. Seriously fellas, try this house. They are fantastic. Another of their to look for in addition to the above mentioned by Salv is English Fern. This is my favourite "green" scent and completely blows stuff like Polo out of the water. It is truly like walking through a spring meadow when the grass has greened up and a fresh shower washed everything clean the day before. BTW, it does NOT have that ocean water/shampoo/whatever you call it that all this newer tripe does. It is an old classic and handily holds its own against these newer scents.
mefedt.jpg

Another house to explore is Floris. Do you get it that I like the English scents over the more Continental stuff?LOL Their #89 is an absolute testosterone powerhouse that is also classy and long lasting. If it works for Ian Fleming, it will work for you.

Regards, Todd

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
I like Old Spice too. But do you remember "Hai Karate" in the '70s?
...each bottle packaged with a guide to self-defence so men could protect themselves from the hordes of women it promised to attract.

BT.

Oh, this is a bad memory :) As a cub scout, I once traded something (who remembers what) at a Christmas party/gift exchange thing for...a GIANT bottle of Hai Karate. I was so proud! My parents didn't have the heart to tell me how truly awful it was... :)

I guess I was about 8 or so.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gucci "Pour Homme" (Very like the Creed "Tabarome")

Actually, I liken it to a cross between two very old blends, of Creed's Tabarome and Knize Ten (which is just gorgeous in it's leathery, deep musky orient spice, tobacco flavours!! VERY masculine!!).

But the great thing is that it's half the price and easily accessible!!

(For a lighter fragrance, I wear Issy Miyake original).

Gucci002.jpg

Gucci001.jpg

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
My two favorites are Acqua di Parma, great summer cologne, and Chanel Pour Monsieur. I have also tried the Gucci Pour Homme, loved it in the bottle but on me it smelled like I'd been standing in a fireplace. For years I wore Chanel Egoiste, the original not the platinum but, alas, as with most things I like it was discontinued.

Marty M.

Vendor
Cool Pics.

PADDY said:
Actually, I liken it to a cross between two very old blends, of Creed's Tabarome and Knize Ten (which is just gorgeous in it's leathery, deep musky orient spice, tobacco flavours!! VERY masculine!!).

But the great thing is that it's half the price and easily accessible!!

(For a lighter fragrance, I wear Issy Miyake original).

Gucci002.jpg

Gucci001.jpg

Paddy,
I love how you laid out your picture. It didn't go un-noticed. Great job.
Marty

jspina

New in Town
Join the club

Nothing quite beats Clubman but there is one HUGE downside. The plastic bottle eventually infects and "rots" the scent. Use it up quick. Thayer's witch hazel also makes for a great non-scented aftershave splash and, believe it or not, Aqua Velva is the perfect summer skin tonic...and it comes in a GLASS bottle.

Pinaud also makes the best hair gel. It can give both a wet and dry look. For wet, rub it in, comb it and don't touch it. For dry...wet then rub then wait about half an hour...then tosstle. By the way...NEVER part your hair in the center. That's one vintage look that deserves to be left in the past. Go right side or left and then stick with it.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
That Dominica Lime Bay Rum is wonderful!

They use organic essential oils and the 'high grade' alcohol (as the preservative). I have used it many times and would get it from: http://www.calantilles.com/aboutus/about.htm

There is also 4711 (German cologne) which, if anyone has ever smelled Neroli essential oil, it smells very similar to that, and often used by the submariners to cover up the "u-boat stink".

Prien

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Pinaud also makes the best hair gel. It can give both a wet and dry look. For wet, rub it in, comb it and don't touch it. For dry...wet then rub then wait about half an hour...then tosstle. By the way...NEVER part your hair in the center. That's one vintage look that deserves to be left in the past. Go right side or left and then stick with it.[/QUOTE]

I parted mine in the center back in the 80's, I figure to each his own. Mine is getting cut into a classic left sided part as of tomorrow though, just like my avatar picture. I've seen Clubman Gel, but never Pinaud Gell, is it thicker than the Clubman? I figure I could try it if the greasy kids stuff is too extreme for work. I need something with real good hold that will help train my hair, have not had a part in awhile.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I use Crew styling gel and Nivea after shave. The Crew gel has just the right amount of hold for me plus it was recommended by my barber who had just given me my part back. I would like to go with something a little more classic but the Crew works pretty well. I find the Nivea has a nice, but not overpowering, Fragrance that my wife seems to like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany