Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to smell this for myself, but read this:
"CUMMING the fragrance is a unique collaboration between award-winning perfume guru Christopher Brosius and maverick actor Alan Cumming that breaks molds, challenges expectations and dares to be different.

CUMMING pays tribute to classic men’s colognes of the past but with a very modern twist...

CUMMING is different on everyone, for like every great fragrance, it changes on your skin over time. The longer you wear it and the more you sweat, Cumming gets deeper and sexier.

Base notes of leather, peat fire, highland mud, burnt rubber and white truffle ground the scent with rugged sensuality, while the core notes of cigar, heather, Douglas fir and rubber contribute to its sharpness. The fragrance is completed with spicy top notes of bergamot, black pepper, Scotch pine and whiskey."

JW

New in Town
flat-top said:
"CUMMING the fragrance is a unique collaboration between award-winning perfume guru Christopher Brosius and maverick actor Alan Cumming that breaks molds, challenges expectations and dares to be different.

CUMMING pays tribute to classic men’s colognes of the past but with a very modern twist...

CUMMING is different on everyone, for like every great fragrance, it changes on your skin over time. The longer you wear it and the more you sweat, Cumming gets deeper and sexier.

Base notes of leather, peat fire, highland mud, burnt rubber and white truffle ground the scent with rugged sensuality, while the core notes of cigar, heather, Douglas fir and rubber contribute to its sharpness. The fragrance is completed with spicy top notes of bergamot, black pepper, Scotch pine and whiskey."

Wow. That is a lot of different fragrances (burnt rubber?). I'm very curious about how that would actually smell!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Burt's Bees has discontinued their Bay Rum line.

I'm interested in picking up some vintage scents for my husband, but honestly, I don't think he'll go for Old Spice. I know Canoe is old (1922, I believe?), but he isn't a huge fan of that either. Anyone have any suggestions for anything that is readily available at major stores?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If he likes Bay Rum, you can get it at many drug stores. But the best (I think) is the Dominica brand carried by classicshaving.com, J. Peterman and others.

Where do you find "Canoe?"

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Vermont Country Store carries Canoe. It is $4.99/bottle there! I have also seen it at drugstores like Walgreens and CVS, believe it or not.

I was wrong about the date - it was 1932, not 1922.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I didn't read the whole thread but... If you want Bay Rum cologne (I love the stuff) and you're in America, you can get it from any Orvis store (or, obviously, online at www.orvis.com). Great stuff... :cool2:

jml90

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
Burt's Bees has discontinued their Bay Rum line.

I'm interested in picking up some vintage scents for my husband, but honestly, I don't think he'll go for Old Spice. I know Canoe is old (1922, I believe?), but he isn't a huge fan of that either. Anyone have any suggestions for anything that is readily available at major stores?
Try Caswell Massey they have a Bay Rum and their Number 6 dates back to old George Washington

sunflo9968

New in Town
Aftershave

Hey Gents, Can anyone describe the Clubman Lustray and Bay Rum scents?
My wife purchased the Lilac Vegetal and it smelled like an old ladies house!
I like the standard Pinaud aftershave, i'm hoping the other stuff is just as good. I know the lustray (i hope i spelled it right) comes in different scents.
Thanks for you advise and opinion.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
If you're looking for bay rum, I highly recommend Dominica. I just got a bottle and it's easily the best bay rum aftershave I've found. It's inexpensive and the fragrance is not overpowering. Also, the packaging is very retro. It comes in a brown glass bottle with a cork. Good stuff.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aquia33 said:
Restoration Hardware of all places!!!
Are you certain they still carry it? I checked at the Boston store and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Either way, J. Peterman carries it, though.

By the way, I love the Clubman aftershave; it's what all of the barbershops in Philadelphia use.

funneman

Practically Family
After Shave

I searched everywhere for Clubman Bay Rum and finally found it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

I found I really didn't care for the smell, it reminded me of an old man, and it felt kind of sticky on my face.

I also picked up a bottle Osage rub. This I liked a lot better, but my wife says it smells like Vicks Vaporub.

I really like the smell of Lilac Vegetal, it reminds me of the stuff they used to use in the barber shops, but Sally's says it's being discontinued.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
You might be right Hemingway ...

Hemingway Jones said:
Are you certain they still carry it? I checked at the Boston store and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Either way, J. Peterman carries it, though.

By the way, I love the Clubman aftershave; it's what all of the barbershops in Philadelphia use.

...I did a search of their online store and did not come up with it there either.

But in another thread here in the FL a few months ago I was directed to the Ogallala Bay Rum (http://www.ogallalabayrum.com/). I really like it. it's a bit lighter than others I have but nice for work or other occasions where a light, casual, fresh fragerance is desired.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
sunflo9968 said:
Hey Gents, Can anyone describe the Clubman Lustray and Bay Rum scents?
My wife purchased the Lilac Vegetal and it smelled like an old ladies house!
I like the standard Pinaud aftershave, i'm hoping the other stuff is just as good. I know the lustray (i hope i spelled it right) comes in different scents.
Thanks for you advise and opinion.

Vermont Country Store....

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...ID=7306&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=bay+rum

f01994_dt.jpg

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
sunflo9968 said:
Where can i find it?

I get my Dominica Bay Rum at ClassicShaving.com. They also have the widest selection of Pinaud/Clubman products I've seen anywhere as well as a wide selection of high-end English products. I buy my Feather safety razor blades there too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda