Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks for the link to the appropriate site Paddy! I did use the search procedure but I must have typed in something else (perhaps didn't use the correct word search). Anyway, I certainly appreciate the help...and your great reviews on Aero flight jackets!

Looks like I really opened up a can of worms on this one. From what I've read since posting this question, I'm certainly glad I still have some Old Spice and Safari around the bungalow. I'll have to look out for some of the other colognes mentioned.

Two more questions for everyone...
1. Any idea when Old Spice first came on the market? I have lots of recollections of my grandfather (fighter pilot with the 334th Fighter Squadron) wearing this. BTW - Goes great with an A-2 jacket.
2. Is there an original/authentic Bay Rum brand?

Old Spice Whistling Tune!

I think Old Spice goes back a long ways, as their Shaving soap was around in the 30's maybe before. You can do a search for Old Spice Shaving mugs and there are some pretty old ones out there. They come with a variety of ships detailed on the side.

J.B.

Practically Family
Old Spice is Nice.

Wistful Aviator said:
.........Any idea when Old Spice first came on the market? I have lots of recollections of my grandfather (fighter pilot with the 334th Fighter Squadron) wearing this. BTW - Goes great with an A-2 jacket.........

Yes. Shulton introduced Old Spice in 1937. OS is now made by Procter & Gamble...

Here's a nifty little history said The Captain to The Boatswain... :D

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Wistful Aviator said:
Looks like I really opened up a can of worms on this one. From what I've read since posting this question, I'm certainly glad I still have some Old Spice and Safari around the bungalow. I'll have to look out for some of the other colognes mentioned.
Oh I didn't realize that Safari was around back then. It makes it even more better in my opinion (It was already tops on my list of favorite scents on a man, but now I guess it'll be my all-time favorite and never to be beaten.

matei

One Too Many
Dunhill anyone?

I am partial to Desire, by Dunhill. It even comes in a cool Art Deco bottle!

It is a crisp, clean fragrance - citrusy, but not over the top. Just the right amount to give it a wee bite. It also lasts longer than some of the other ones I've tried - like Hugo Boss Blue or Givenchy... ahh, I forget the name.

Dunhill is also me wife's preference for me.

The Dunhill shop near Picadilly has some really wonderful Golden Era products on display - not for sale, but I'm sure they'd fetch quite a price. Cigarette cases, lighters etc.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
matei said:
The Dunhill shop near Picadilly has some really wonderful Golden Era products on display - not for sale, but I'm sure they'd fetch quite a price. Cigarette cases, lighters etc.

Ah, the joys of Jermyn Street, complete with Davidoff at the St James' Palace end for cigars!

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Speaking of "Safari"...

Safari is one of my favorites too. In the early sixties I bought some African wood carvings at the New York World's Fair and the wood smells just like the cologne! Anyone know what kind of wood essence Ralph used?

When I was in high school "Jade East" was the rage for guys. Was that just a southern California thing?

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I'm partial to Acqua di Genova which is citrusy (Is that a word?) and very light.

After dousing myself in Grey Flannel throughout college and Caswell-Massey's Tricorn as a younger adult, I needed a change.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Pashana Bay Rum

Mike K. said:
2. Is there an original/authentic Bay Rum brand?
On Amazon they have Bay Rum hair tonic from Pashana. This page claims it's the very same stuff that's been made for more than 100 years:

"Renowned for the blend of essential oils, discerning gentlemen have been using the Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic for nearly 100 years to maintain and care for healthy hair. A daily application stimulates and invigorates the scalp. Fragrance: Essence of clove, bay oil and patchouli."

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
adamgottschalk said:
"Renowned for the blend of essential oils, discerning gentlemen have been using the Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic for nearly 100 years to maintain and care for healthy hair. A daily application stimulates and invigorates the scalp. Fragrance: Essence of clove, bay oil and patchouli."
This evening, my mother assured me "there are lots of good Bay Rums out there" and that I shouldn't be tied to a brand name. Her advice with scents, being a big fan of the new "scent of a person" attitude, as highlighted in a recent New York Times article, eschewing any semblance of "gender roles" from colognes and perfumes, is: go somewhere you can try some on; when you find one you like buy it, and don't mind whether it's meant for a man or woman. She admits there are some "overly floral" fragrances which to her would seem out of place on a man. I would make a stab at making my own fragrances, but, frankly, I've got too many things going on at the moment, and I'd just like to buy a couple of bottles of something. I ordered a mini .4 oz bottle of Safari to try, from the recommendations on this thread alone. I remember liking Kouros when I was in high school, so I might try some of that. I like the idea of Bay Rum; now I just need to decide whether to go with a smaller, cottage-industry type maker or a big name. No big whoop, I guess. I really like the idea of putting a dash of something on your hands so that every person who shakes your hand will be bestowed with a little gift. Also, there's a company called Aubrey Organics that makes some very fine "all natural" beauty aids and cosmetics. They have a men's line (which they're revamping right now) which has a couple of excellent deodorant sprays. Not like Right Guard at all; much more like a bottle of cologne meant for your armpits. And it actually works.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
adamgottschalk said:
I really like the idea of putting a dash of something on your hands so that every person who shakes your hand will be bestowed with a little gift.

Hmm, this seems a bit impolite to me.[bad] I know I can't stand it when I shake someone's hand and it comes away smelling like their cologne. I make a run for the nearest soap and water!

Could be just me, though.

Brad

On Scent and Personal Space!

adamgottschalk said:
I really like the idea of putting a dash of something on your hands so that every person who shakes your hand will be bestowed with a little gift.
USE CAUTION ONE ADAM 12! Fragrance or scent is extremely personal and each individual can be a bit extreme as to likes and dislikes. I don't know if you recall the big department stores used to have a girl with a bottle of the latest men's and the latest women's cologne with which they would try to tag you. Things would get violent. To make an assumption that everyone will like what you like is presumptive. As they say in NY: "One man's poison is another man's prune danish!"

Scent versus Personal Space: People are allergic, or just sensative and some are easily irritated. In many situations, a fine cologne and scent is not a delight but perceived as an invasion of space, especially if it lingers long.

Aftershaves are designed to drop away fairly quickly but colognes are longer lasting. A light touch is considered best and to try not to be overpowering or remain after you have gone, Also it should only be the least bit evident if someone get close enough to shake your hand, give a hug or whisper in your ear type of closeness.

Too much scent no matter how delightful will make one a pariah.

With best regards!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
a cologne that gets me weak in the knees, is obsession by Calvin Kline...also there's another one that I absolutely love smelling on a guy and it's the new cologne out by nautica

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Hmm, this seems a bit impolite to me.[bad] I know I can't stand it when I shake someone's hand and it comes away smelling like their cologne. I make a run for the nearest soap and water!

Could be just me, though.

Brad
Having never done such a thing, I guess I hadn't really thought about it. I will say, though, that here in Portland, Oregon, lots of people don't even where deodorant, men and women. You get some pretty ripe smelling people out there. A little cologne on their hands wouldn't hurt them, I don't think ;)

I only use scents very, very sparingly (and haven't used any in decades), so I was thinking that just a slight dash would hardly be noticeable. But you're probably right. I know I hate it when folks wear too much cologne. Reminds me of the way-too-much-Giorgio that was everywhere in New York in the 80s, that made me sick to my stomach.

My mother really liked the idea, and as I look up to her "fashion sense" so much ( :eek: ), I thought maybe I might try it. But, come to think of it, leaving a trace of cologne on someone's hand might ONLY EVER have a chance of having a good effect when it's woman. I can see myself becoming quite irate if I shook someone's hand and suddenly smelled like a bottle of fragrance. I was thinking more along the lines of something so subtle as to hardly be noticeable.

Medication time!

adamgottschalk said:
I will say, though, that here in Portland, Oregon, lots of people don't even where deodorant, men and women. You get some pretty ripe smelling people out there. A little cologne on their hands wouldn't hurt them, I don't think ;)
Guys that have true physical labor jobs may have an odor problem, for others it's a "body Chemistry thing" and we have the body odor challenged that are from other countries that do not practice personal hygene to the normal US standards. I have myself suffered thru a garlic attack every now and again, it's astounding how much potentcy those little cloves can pack, especially when paired with red wine!

I do pity the homeless and those that are suffering from mental disabilities. We cannot force people to take their medication and they when stop, then they drop out of regular society and into the fringe areas. So many people need help to clean up their lives, on so many levels!

Bath time!

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
GUERLAIN -- EAU DE COLOGNE IMPERIALE

Created in 1853, Eau Imperiale was inspired by the French Empress Eugenie and the bottle was embossed with the imperial crest of Napoleon III. Eau Imperiale has top notes of bergamot, lemon and orange, a heart of rosemary and rose and a base of musk, petit grain and neroli.
A while back I got a special essential oil mix from a friend who's had her own oil biz for a couple of decades. This one's called Neroli Imortelle, includes a number of other essences, and it works WONDERS on healing scars, even scars you thought were finished healing. It also is intoxicating in its fragrance. I used to wear Waleda rosemary hair oil. Solid winner, rosemary, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner